The Student Room Group

Got my second year results back-feeling disappointed and disheartened

Hello, so I got my second year results back as my course does not require exams, and I am pretty upset by them. For first year, I averaged at 66, this year I have averaged at 63. One of my modules bought everything down in which I got a 58 overall (not trying to make excuses but I do purely believe that this was because the teacher wasn't great). I had essays to do over the holidays, and I tried so so hard. For an essay in one module I got a 62, and was advised to use more books, I used every book recommended this time, worked on it for weeks, and made 20 pages of notes and could only achieve a 65, my other essay I worked extremely hard on and could only achieve a 62. I feel somewhat deflated as I work very hard yet there are people around me who could magic up an essay the night before and get a first, it makes me feel pretty stupid and a little inadequate. So apart from feeling stupid, I have been determined to apply for and get a masters degree, but I have heard different answers regarding the entry grades, some of which saying that you must achieve 65 average, and others saying that you must achieve simply a 2:1. I was wondering if anybody could provide me with an answer for this? Would it be realistic for me to aim for applying for a masters or are my marks not good enough? I was also wondering as since my marks are not amazing, if, seeing as I do an arts based course, work experience i.e. at a gallery/museum may give me the edge? Additionally, I have no clue how to improve on my essays, the highest I got for an essay this year was 65 and I couldn't seem to get higher, the only aspects in which I got higher were in non essay parts i.e presentations. It is really really getting to me as I work my ass off and can't seem to get my head round what I am doing wrong, especially as there is not a pattern of similar problems in my essay feedback forms. My problems have ranged from not answering the question properly, to using words in the wrong context, to not using enough sources, to having a disjointed structure, to not exploring certain themes enough. How would I address improving my essays? Thank you
Wat course did you do that does not require an exam?
Reply 2
Don't know what to say because I'm in a similar situation myself, I always get 58-62 on my essays and then other people whip an essay up the day before and get higher than me.

I even got 58 and 62 in two of my assignments in one of my first semester modules and then in next semester I got 58 and 62 in two of my assignments, AGAIN! The same exact ****ing marks i mean how the hell?
(edited 9 years ago)
Well first of all, don't feel too disheartened as you still have a 2.1 overall. Most master's courses ask simply for a 2.1; some will ask for a 'high 2.1' which often means around 67+ (this is the case for some Cambridge MPhils for example), while some very competitive master's courses will ask for a first. But if the requirements are simply a 2.1 then you have a chance.

As regards how to improve your essays, here are a few thoughts:

* you mention a few times that your use/lack of sources was criticized; often lecturers will expect you to go beyond even the recommended reading for an essay, and to find relevant literature yourself if you want a very high grade. This doesn't have to be daunting: see what sources are being cited by your recommended/required reading, and then go find that material to look at; use search engines such as your library's search tool or even Google Scholar to find extra sources.

* a second big problem can be lumped together under 'structure': you said your essays were disjointed, and certain themes weren't addressed, etc. A lot of these problems could be solved by paying close attention to how you organise your essays. Make sure you have a very clear introduction, where you lay out the big arguments/themes of the paper, and also a strong conclusion. Spend some time before sitting down to write by writing out a structure; maybe initially you can brainstorm some ideas, using the notes you've taken, then think about how you can fit the major points together so that they move from one to the other in a logical way. Don't jump from A to C and then back to B: really think about how all the points fit together, and how you can make smooth transitions between them. For my essays I had a numbered plan beside me while I wrote, with each paragraph laid out with bullet points of what I was going to argue, the evidence/sources I was going to use, and so on.

* Finally, before you even begin any of this, it's worth spending some time really examining what the question is asking you to do. It's too easy to simply read the title quickly, spot certain key words and assume the essay is about Topic X, when actually a very careful reading of the question will reveal that yes, it is about Topic X, but it also requires you to address Topics Y & Z in order to prove your point with regard to Topic X; I hope that makes sense! Really understanding the question will also help you when it comes to structure & making sure all the key themes are covered, as well as directing your reading and research properly.

I hope this is of some help!

EDIT: One final point - make sure you are actually advancing an argument in your essays!! An essay that simply regurgitates information will never score well; for an essay to do well, it needs to have an argument. This will involve weighing up the arguments in the sources that you read, and then making a case for whichever you find most convincing, while also acknowledging the positives in those arguments that you don't necessarily agree with as much. In essence, your essay must have a POINT to it - again, this links back to reading your question carefully, as this will often direct you with regards to potential arguments. A question may take the form, for example, of a statement, followed by 'Discuss' or 'Do you agree?'. Take a position! Don't simply recite both sides and then conclude by neatly summarising the arguments; take a position & argue it, using the sources that you have read while researching.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending