The Student Room Group

An American Goes to London: Any Tips?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by namename
This bike will be stolen in a day or two or three. The great expert that is going out of his way to sound like me forgot to mention, too, that they take bike parts as often as the bike itself (unscrew the wheels, bells, you name it).

Presumably I must own Lucky the wonderbike then, as it has been safely with me for 3 years so far. Only thing I've had stolen is a 99p bike light I forgot to take off.

But whatever, if you have a perception that virtually every single bike is going to be spirited away and broken down for parts within 1-3 days regardless, that's your choice.
Original post by kimmiexsweetie
Are there any hugely popular English shows that I should be watching? I've heard of Downton Abbey and Doctor Who...

By the way,there's a hilarious show in the US called I Wanna Marry, "Harry." The premise? A bunch of girls are deceived to believe that a regular ol' ginger is the one and only Prince Harry and they fight for his affections :biggrin:.

Honestly watch Doctor Who cos that has everything you need to know about Britain. :cute:
Original post by Onomatopriya
Honestly watch Doctor Who cos that has everything you need to know about Britain. :cute:

I think a side order of Shaun of the Dead too. Especially for London - apart from the humour, just for a feel of streets and corner shops and traditional pubs (there are still some around).
Original post by honeyandlemon
Why are you coming all the way from USA to Brunel? It's not a good uni.

Really? Why would you say it's not a good uni?
Original post by Motorbiker
Motly agreeing with others but thought i'd say anyway.

Deifnitely come visit Brighton. It's a lovely seaside town but decent sized and some very cool places in it.(Including the HQ of this website)

Learn how to use Celcius instead of Fahrenheit. If you tell somoene it's 100 degrees they'll be very confused as that is literally boiling temperature...

When dicussing weights in the gym, we use kg instead of lbs but when disucssing how much we weigh 99% of people use stone. So you're not 140lbs, you're 10 stone. Don't ask why.

Try and use english words like football instead of soccer and American football for American Football. Ours was around first i'm pretty sure. :tongue:

Oh another thing . "You alright?" Is often used as a greeting. An American once got concerned that i kept asking him if he was alright....

Person 1: Hi, You alright?
Person 2: Yea, you?
Person 1: Yea

Even if your mum has just died you say yea. It's stupid but that's what happens.

Lovely...I completely forgot that I've got to get used to a whole new system of units. What on earth is stone? Guess I've got to do some google searching lol. Gotta get to used to the time, too. We don't use 24 hour clock here.

Lol thanks for the tips. They were actually very helpful.:redface:
Original post by HCubed
When discussing the weather (which is an essential social custom that must be mastered) anyone over 35 will prefer to use Fahrenheit for warm weather (over 65 deg F) but Centigrade for cold weather (under 5 deg C). Anything in between does not need to be either calibrated or mentioned. If you are in this awkward inbetween temperature region, discussion of wind, rain, fog and leaves (early/late to emerge/fall, wrong type on railway lines) is an acceptable alternative. Which reminds me, if you are ever late for anything it is customary to make a comedic excuse - for instance if you enter a lecture theatre late, you should anounce to everyone that you were delayed by water buffalo on the Staines by-pass, or had to perform an emergency exorcism - you'll think of something.

.............................what? So the English DO use Fahrenheit, but only when it's hotter than 65, but when its cold you use Celsius...:confused:

And you're completely ******* me with that "comedic excuse" part, right?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Old_Simon
Never buy denim jeans in the UK. They are about 5 times to cost you are used to. Stock up on your favourites.

Duly noted.
Really? Why would you say it's not a good uni?

It's a good uni. We just have an "oxbridge" elitism problem on TSr where people think if you're not going there you may as well go sign up for Mcdonalds.

Lovely...I completely forgot that I've got to get used to a whole new system of units. What on earth is stone? Guess I've got to do some google searching lol. Gotta get to used to the time, too. We don't use 24 hour clock here.

A stone = 14 pounds. So you take your weigh in lbs, divide by 14, and then give the remainder. E.g 145lbs = 10 stone 5.

.............................what? So the English DO use Fahrenheit, but only when it's hotter than 65, but when its cold you use Celsius...:confused:

And you're completely ****ing me with that "comedic excuse" part, right?

No young english use fahrenheit. Only older people.

And the comedic excuse is fairly standard. Often it's "i got stuck in traffic" when everyone lives on campus and walks in...

And you're completely ****ing me with that "comedic excuse" part, right?

No-one really uses Fahrenheit. All the weather reports are in Celsius, just get your head round that and you'll be OK.

And I did once tell my French teacher (in French) that the reason I hadn't done my homework was because I'd been kidnapped by aliens...
(edited 9 years ago)

1 stone = 14 pounds. Nobody in the UK uses the 24 hour clock either, for anything except train timetables and stuff.

Just don't try talking to engineers, that's when it gets really confusing. Measurements like "1 inch +/- 2mm" are not unusual.

And you're completely ******* me with that "comedic excuse" part, right?

'Fraid not.
Hi!

I'm going to Brunel University this fall to pursue a postgraduate degree...and honestly, I'm a little nervous of facing the unknown.

As I've never visited the UK before, I'm walking into a very unfamiliar territory. Are there any peculiarities about England that will throw me off when I come?

I already know that the English drive on the left side of the road. Our "first floor" is your "ground floor." We don't use the metric system. We only use the 12-hr clock. For the English, the day comes BEFORE the month when writing the date...

But is there anything else I should know? Do you guys tip your waiters and waitresses?

Is there a website, or a YouTube video, that will help me answer all these questions?

Thanks!

The people inside the London bubble have never been out and the people outside ever rarely go in.
So I want to thank all of you from the bottom of my heart for giving me such a comprehensive look at English life/culture. All your tips were funny, thoughtful, extremely helpful, and really useful.

This whole entire thread, 10 pages worth, literally be my Bible when I'm in England.

Thanks again!
So I want to thank all of you from the bottom of my heart for giving me such a comprehensive look at English life/culture. All your tips were funny, thoughtful, extremely helpful, and really useful.

This whole entire thread, 10 pages worth, literally be my Bible when I'm in England.

Thanks again!

You're welcome!

Glad we could help. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending