The Student Room Group

Ib options consideration! HELPP!

Hi guys.. I would really appreciate it if any of you can look at my situation and give me some advices.

I'm an IGCSE student and I get straight A-A*s. So my dilemma is that I'm in love with both Art and Drama. I take IGCSE Art and not Drama because I only realised my love for Drama half way through IGCSE. I'm predicted A* for Art and is told that I have great potential for Acting too. So I'm guessing it's not entirely crazy to consider these two extremely challenging paths as future careers. But as you may know, Visual Arts and Theatre can not go together in the Ib diploma because they're in the same group.

I already spoke to a guidance counsellor about this and he advised me to take Theatre and keep up a sketchbook on top of EVERYTHING else. This is because colleges only look at portfolio when considering someone for an Art course but they look at things like videos and group performances too if considering someone for a Theatre course. Therefore it is nuts to not do Theatre because... well... I can't just have a group performance without peers, can I? I know that Ib is very challenging and time-consuming so I'm a bit (no very) worried as to whether I can still keep up a sketchbook. I then spoke to my Art teacher and he is very upset because he has hopes for me in Art and he thinks that it is impossible to keep up Art on top of Ib diploma. Because honestly, it's kind of like doing a 7th subject.

I feel like if I choose Art, I would have no chance of getting into a good Theatre course in college. However, it is a safe choice because I'm familiar with Art and can manage Ib perfectly fine (kind of like already given up on pursuing Thratre). But if I take Theatre and TRY on keep up the Art, it is taking a risk. It requires lots of work and is very scary. But I'm leaning towards the 2nd option because I'm kind of a not-playing-it-safe-it's-no-fun person.

I need your help to tell me whether it sounds possible or not. For other subjects, I'm taking Maths HL (I'm really good at Maths), Lit HL (getting As for IGCSE now), Phy SL (doing seperate science and is getting A*), Psy SL (people said it's fun?), French B SL (getting A*). I need a not very time-consuming subject combination to make sure that I can keep up the Art but still is facilitating enough in terms of college application. I would like to know more about the workload for each subject I'm planning on taking and whether I would have around a few hours a week to work on Art.

Your help would be much much appreciated. <3
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by ginogachetonic
Hi guys.. I would really appreciate it if any of you can look at my situation and give me some advices.

I'm an IGCSE student and I get straight A-A*s. So my dilemma is that I'm in love with both Art and Drama. I take IGCSE Art and not Drama because I only realised my love for Drama half way through IGCSE. I'm predicted A* for Art and is told that I have great potential for Acting too. So I'm guessing it's not entirely crazy to consider these two extremely challenging paths as future careers. But as you may know, Visual Arts and Theatre can not go together in the Ib diploma because they're in the same group.

I already spoke to a guidance counsellor about this and he advised me to take Theatre and keep up a sketchbook on top of EVERYTHING else. This is because colleges only look at portfolio when considering someone for an Art course but they look at things like videos and group performances too if considering someone for a Theatre course. Therefore it is nuts to not do Theatre because... well... I can't just have a group performance without peers, can I? I know that Ib is very challenging and time-consuming so I'm a bit (no very) worried as to whether I can still keep up a sketchbook. I then spoke to my Art teacher and he is very upset because he has hopes for me in Art and he thinks that it is impossible to keep up Art on top of Ib diploma. Because honestly, it's kind of like doing a 7th subject.

I feel like if I choose Art, I would have no chance of getting into a good Theatre course in college. However, it is a safe choice because I'm familiar with Art and can manage Ib perfectly fine (kind of like already given up on pursuing Thratre). But if I take Theatre and TRY on keep up the Art, it is taking a risk. It requires lots of work and is very scary. But I'm leaning towards the 2nd option because I'm kind of a not-playing-it-safe-it's-no-fun person.

I need your help to tell me whether it sounds possible or not. For other subjects, I'm taking Maths HL (I'm really good at Maths), Lit HL (getting As for IGCSE now), Phy SL (doing seperate science and is getting A*), Psy SL (people said it's fun?), French B SL (getting A*). I need a not very time-consuming subject combination to make sure that I can keep up the Art but still is facilitating enough in terms of college application. I would like to know more about the workload for each subject I'm planning on taking and whether I would have around a few hours a week to work on Art.

Your help would be much much appreciated. <3

I was sort of in a similar situation this year when choosing my subjects. I wanted to take visual arts (since I'm getting A*'s at IGCSE) but at the same I wanted to take HL Biology/Chemistry since i really love them. So I ended up choosing two science HL's because my school's IB coordinator informed me that I can do art as part of CAS. By doing it for CAS you WILL be able to work on a portfolio on the side. I really disagree with your art teacher about not being able to keep up with Art on the side of IB as doing it as part of your CAS hours is a REQUIREMENT for creativity hours. My art teacher told me something of the sort when i informed him i'd be dropping art after IGCSE - your art teacher is trying to push you to take art by saying that (that's the way i've perceived it).

So basically, i'd advise you to take Art for CAS and to theatre as one of your subjects. But here's the catch i don't think doing a portfolio on the side is possible with your selection of subjects as you've taken HL Maths, which is objectively the hardest IB subject. I know you say your good at maths but trust me when I say being good at IGCSE maths does NOT mean you'll succeed in HL Maths as it's a completely different thing. I know ton of people who've taken Additional Maths IGCSE (which covers most of SL Maths) and struggled with HL maths and ended up dropping it down to SL. Think about this subject choice VERY carefully. Plus since your only considering art/theatre courses why would you even think of taking HL maths? It should only be taken if you want to major in something like engineering, computer science, maths, economics etc. So it's completely unnecessary in your case.

I'd advise you to take this subject combination:

HL English Literature (it's actually a really hard subject and subjective marking makes it really hard to get 7's)
HL Psychology (hard but manageable if your interested and are excellent at memorising)
HL Theatre
SL Maths
SL Physics (hard but easier if your maths oriented)
SL French B (hard even if your getting A* at IGCSE, IGCSE is really really easy in comparison)

Hope I helped! (Yes, i haven't started IB yet but all the information i've provided is from thorough research and what my coordinator has told me about the difficulty of each subject)
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by pbunny
I was sort of in a similar situation this year when choosing my subjects. I wanted to take visual arts (since I'm getting A*'s at IGCSE) but at the same I wanted to take HL Biology/Chemistry since i really love them. So I ended up choosing two science HL's because my school's IB coordinator informed me that I can do art as part of CAS. By doing it for CAS you WILL be able to work on a portfolio on the side. I really disagree with your art teacher about not being able to keep up with Art on the side of IB as doing it as part of your CAS hours is a REQUIREMENT for creativity hours. My art teacher told me something of the sort when i informed him i'd be dropping art after IGCSE - your art teacher is trying to push you to take art by saying that (that's the way i've perceived it).

So basically, i'd advise you to take Art for CAS and to theatre as one of your subjects. But here's the catch i don't think doing a portfolio on the side is possible with your selection of subjects as you've taken HL Maths, which is objectively the hardest IB subject. I know you say your good at maths but trust me when I say being good at IGCSE maths does NOT mean you'll succeed in HL Maths as it's a completely different thing. I know ton of people who've taken Additional Maths IGCSE (which covers most of SL Maths) and struggled with HL maths and ended up dropping it down to SL. Think about this subject choice VERY carefully. Plus since your only considering art/theatre courses why would you even think of taking HL maths? It should only be taken if you want to major in something like engineering, computer science, maths, economics etc. So it's completely unnecessary in your case.

I'd advise you to take this subject combination:

HL English Literature (it's actually a really hard subject and subjective marking makes it really hard to get 7's)
HL Psychology (hard but manageable if your interested and are excellent at memorising)
HL Theatre
SL Maths
SL Physics (hard but easier if your maths oriented)
SL French B (hard even if your getting A* at IGCSE, IGCSE is really really easy in comparison)

Hope I helped! (Yes, i haven't started IB yet but all the information i've provided is from thorough research and what my coordinator has told me about the difficulty of each subject)

Thank you so much for replying XD
I think you have a brilliant point. I will choose Theater then :smile: But about the Maths HL thing, I chose it because I'm actually better at Maths than the Humanities. At least I'm more motivated because I'm easily put off by the amount of memorization and the amount of "common sense" come with the humanities. To be honest, I'm never good at topics that require you to relate to real life and use your common sense. Therefore I don't know how much better it will be if I choose Psychology HL instead of Maths HL. It will be great on the Maths side because I'm doing Ad Maths and that covers lots of SL syllabus. But I'm worried about Psychology HL. I heard we have to learn a bunch of case studies and write lots of essays. :| I'm kinda breezing through Ad Maths and I get above 90% quite easily. Do you think that should make it better for me if I was to choose Maths HL? Thank you so much <3
Reply 3
Original post by ginogachetonic
Thank you so much for replying XD
I think you have a brilliant point. I will choose Theater then :smile: But about the Maths HL thing, I chose it because I'm actually better at Maths than the Humanities. At least I'm more motivated because I'm easily put off by the amount of memorization and the amount of "common sense" come with the humanities. To be honest, I'm never good at topics that require you to relate to real life and use your common sense. Therefore I don't know how much better it will be if I choose Psychology HL instead of Maths HL. It will be great on the Maths side because I'm doing Ad Maths and that covers lots of SL syllabus. But I'm worried about Psychology HL. I heard we have to learn a bunch of case studies and write lots of essays. :| I'm kinda breezing through Ad Maths and I get above 90% quite easily. Do you think that should make it better for me if I was to choose Maths HL? Thank you so much <3

No problem :smile:

Your correct about Psychology involving the memorisation of many case studies and the writing of essays! But don't worry about it now, you never know how you'll fare in it if you haven't even started the course. I'm sure being interested in the subject matter will ease the difficulty of the course.

I'll be very blunt with you about HL Maths, don't take anything I say personally. Look the thing with IB is that is you can't use your success in an IGCSE course so heavily ​as a factor whilst choosing your IB subjects. The reason I say this is because IB is completely different than most IGCSE courses. Therefore, you may sail through the IGCSE course but not be able to pass the Ib equivalent. Take that into account when finalising your decision of taking HL maths. However, from what you've written you seem real keen about putting your all into maths and therefore taking HL may not be such a bad idea in your case so long as you remain committed (mentally) as it's very easy to quit after doing poorly in the first couple of tests you take in IB 1. But if you say your weaker at humanities than maths then it's better to play to your strengths than take HL psychology, i guess. Back when I was considering HL maths my coordinator suggested starting off with 4 HL's so that I'll be able to drop maths anytime if I feel like I can't cope. I'd do that if I was in your case as you'll be exposed to both classes and you can then choose accordingly!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending