The Student Room Group

First order differential equation.

As below part a):

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1401441333.869152.jpg

I cannot seem to get it in the form they want, I know 10-5v can't be split as if it were multiplied and I tried taking 5v to the other side and integrating but to no avail... Help would be appreciated

Thanks

EDIT: I've got it but it was very long winded is there a quicker approach?

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
it is difficult to read the question that way round
Original post by Branny101

This is a separable first order differential equation of the form:

dvdt=f(v)g(t)    1f(v) dv=g(t) dt\begin{aligned} \dfrac{\text{d}v}{\text{d}t} = f(v) \cdot g(t) \implies \displaystyle \int \dfrac{1}{f(v)} \text{ d}v = \int g(t) \text{ d}t \end{aligned}

Spoiler

(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Khallil

dvdt=f(v)g(t)    1f(v) dv=g(t) dt\begin{aligned} \dfrac{\text{d}v}{\text{d}t} = f(v) \cdot g(t) \implies \displaystyle \int \dfrac{1}{f(v)} \text{ d}v = \int g(t) \text{ d}t \end{aligned}

Does this help?

ahhh !! much better :wink:

:woo:
Original post by the bear

Fix the spoiler! It's exploded :eek:
Reply 5
[QUOTE="bear;47852732" the="the"]
Original post by Khallil

Does this help?

ahhh !! much better :wink:

:woo:

Sorry guys, phone's being tedious... And hmm one second let me just try this

Posted from TSR Mobile
it is Separation of Variables...

you must keep the (10 -5V) together as you move it
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by Khallil

Yep, Khallil is right. However, just to make things clearer:

10 - 5v = 2(5 - v)

Divide through by (5 - v) and now you can solve using separation of variables.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 8
it is Separation of Variables...

you must keep the (10 -5V) together as you move it

Original post by VannR
Yep, Khallil is right. However, just to make things clearer:

10 - 5v = 2(5 - v)

Divide through by (5 - v) and now you can solve using separation of variables.

Ahh and just to verify why can you not add the 5v onto both sides? Other than the fact that it won't be in the form they'd like?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ahh and just to verify why can you not add the 5v onto both sides? Other than the fact that it won't be in the form they'd like?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Separation of Variables is always by timesing or dividing, never by adding or subtraction

:mob:
Reply 10

Posted from TSR Mobile

Adding 5v to both sides in this case would be pointless, since the equation can be solved using separation of variables.

If you had a situation where you had, say, x.dv/dx in your equation or something similar, you may want to add 5v to both sides to solve as an exact equation. This is not the case here.
Reply 11
Original post by VannR
Adding 5v to both sides in this case would be pointless, since the equation can be solved using separation of variables.

If you had a situation where you had, say, x.dv/dx in your equation or something similar, you may want to add 5v to both sides to solve as an exact equation. This is not the case here.

Separation of Variables is always by timesing or dividing, never by adding or subtraction

:mob:

Ahh so my order of thinking should be separating --> then rearranging?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Ahh so my order of thinking should be separating --> then rearranging?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes. The order in which you should try methods is:

1. Separation of variables. It is usually pretty easy to spot if this can be done or not.
2. Exact equation. Check if the equation is exact.
3. Find and use an integrating factor. Remember to express the equation in linear form first.

Just realised that you might not be doing FP2, and this might be C4 differentiation :rolleyes:. In that case, you'll only ever have to use separation of variables.
[QUOTE="Branny101;47852741"]

Sorry guys, phone's being tedious... And hmm one second let me just try this

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hello There :smile:

For part b, is the answer t=0.277 (3sf)?
and for c, do you draw the graph of v=2(1-e-5t ), with t on the x axis and v on the y axis, and since that there is an asymptope an v=2, hence the speed can never exceed 2ms-1 ? Thanks ! :biggrin:
Reply 14
[QUOTE="ΘTheta;47853265"]

Hello There :smile:

For part b, is the answer t=0.277 (3sf)?
and for c, do you draw the graph of v=2(1-e-5t ), with t on the x axis and v on the y axis, and since that there is an asymptope an v=2, hence the speed can never exceed 2ms-1 ? Thanks ! :biggrin:

The graph isn't given in the answers but that's what I got for both :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 15
Original post by VannR
Yes. The order in which you should try methods is:

1. Separation of variables. It is usually pretty easy to spot if this can be done or not.
2. Exact equation. Check if the equation is exact.
3. Find and use an integrating factor. Remember to express the equation in linear form first.

Just realised that you might not be doing FP2, and this might be C4 differentiation :rolleyes:. In that case, you'll only ever have to use separation of variables.

C4 only dude, so I'll only be separating? You sure? I'm on the AQA spec

Posted from TSR Mobile
[QUOTE="Branny101;47854399"]
Original post by ΘTheta

The graph isn't given in the answers but that's what I got for both :smile: and yes to part b

Posted from TSR Mobile

There is no graph in the answer scheme for the question in the book? :eek:
That odd, the question says to draw a graph???
Did you get the asymptope part of the question c.? :smile:
Reply 17
C4 only dude, so I'll only be separating? You sure? I'm on the AQA spec

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm doing Edexcel, so things are organised slightly differently, but I just looked up the AQA specification for first examination 2014, and yes, in C4 you'll only be faced with differential equations where separation of variables is used.

FYI It is FP3 in AQA where you learn all the secrets of differential equations :biggrin: Just looking through the syllabus and I'm a little jealous. They split up the evil FP3 from Edexcel into two units:redface:
Reply 18
Original post by VannR
I'm doing Edexcel, so things are organised slightly differently, but I just looked up the AQA specification for first examination 2014, and yes, in C4 you'll only be faced with differential equations where separation of variables is used.

FYI It is FP3 in AQA where you learn all the secrets of differential equations :biggrin: Just looking through the syllabus and I'm a little jealous. They split up the evil FP3 from Edexcel into two units:redface:

I'm good enough with C4 tbh ahaha all you further pures and us cores

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest