The Student Room Group

Lancaster University Summer Schools 2014

Scroll to see replies

Original post by lizzpost in 6
I went to lancaster summer school last year for psychology and I had such an amazing time!!
It's a really great experience of university and will really make you want to apply to lancaster!
Don't worry about if you don't know people because the first day is all about team building etc which helps you to make friends, just remember to be confident because most people are in the same situation as you and would appreciate for someone to start the conversation for them :smile:

If you want an idea of what you do, here is a rough timetable which is the same across all subjects-
Day 1- team building activities, go on a tour, go to 3 lectures about how to write a report, do presentations and posters to a university standard. After that you go to your rooms and get settled in. Then you have tea and a night time activity (e.g we went to the bar and ate doughnuts and did a quiz)

Day 2- lectures in the morning on your subject, then start writing up the academic report, poster and presentation. Go to the sports centre in the afternoon, then eat dinner

On the third day you do pretty much the same thing but it's the evening meal on the night. If you're wondering what to wear, when I went girls wore dresses and heels so it's pretty dressy!

Day 4- submit work to lecturer, do presentations to the summer school and get awards for summer school before going home :smile:

Hope this has helped! :biggrin:
If you have anymore questions feel free to ask me! :smile:

Thanks for posting ! Very useful x
Reply 21
Original post by shivani96
That's really useful, thank you! I'm really worried about not being able to write the report well enough :/ and what kind of dresses did the girls wear? I really don't have a clue what to take!

Don't worry about the report, it doesn't go towards anything and there are people to help you out. People who I saw just wore a shift dress type thing but if you don't want to wear a dress you can always wear like a nice skirt or something (bearing in mind you're a girl haha)
Original post by lizziec1996
Don't worry about the report, it doesn't go towards anything and there are people to help you out. People who I saw just wore a shift dress type thing but if you don't want to wear a dress you can always wear like a nice skirt or something (bearing in mind you're a girl haha)

Oh okay, thanks!
guys! its tomorrow and im quite excited but nervous
Hi, has anyone applied for the step into HE summer school (gifted and talented) on the 4 - 7th August. It's the one for year 11 as well as year 12 😊
Loved it guys! Especially you Jennifer haha #philosophy

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Aaronfm2
Loved it guys! Especially you Jennifer haha #philosophy

Posted from TSR Mobile

I can't believe we were all talking on here before we went as well! I'm kind of missing it now!
Original post by neeshneesh98
Hi, has anyone applied for the step into HE summer school (gifted and talented) on the 4 - 7th August. It's the one for year 11 as well as year 12 😊

Yeah I am, I'm in year 12

Already booked my train tickets :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Meeeee! I'm excited but scared because I'll be on my own 😅
I don't know anyone as well but I'm so excited! 😃
The summer school was amazing ! You'll all love it ! Xx
I don't know anyone as well but I'm so excited! 😃

Original post by blackwid0w
Meeeee! I'm excited but scared because I'll be on my own 😅

I don't think many people know each other.

Where are you guys coming from?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Mubariz
I don't think many people know each other.

Where are you guys coming from?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Bradford, where are you coming from?
Bradford, where are you coming from?

Manchester.

How you getting there?

Posted from TSR Mobile

You should take the train, it'd save money.

I did it cos I like trains but hey :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Mubariz
Manchester.

How you getting there?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ayyyy, I'm coming from Manchester too! Are you getting the train? :smile:
Original post by blackwid0w
Ayyyy, I'm coming from Manchester too! Are you getting the train? :smile:

I am yeah.
Did you want to book the same one or something?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest