The Student Room Group

AQA BUSS 2 - Exam Technique

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Kimmy2014
There are like 111 definitions in Bus2.they are all in the Business Studies Student Book...>_>

I don't have a student book but I don't think there are that many definitions. For BUSS1 there were only about 30 so BUSS2 surely can't be more than 60.
Original post by Alex Doran
I don't have a student book but I don't think there are that many definitions. For BUSS1 there were only about 30 so BUSS2 surely can't be more than 60.

During one VERY boring Bus. Lesson I decided to count all the definitions;P
Bus1 -> 66
Bus2 -> 110

Yup..:s-smilie: didn't the teacher not give you one at the beginning? If not she/ he is an idiot because all of the Info needed is in there.
i feel in BUSS2 there a fewer definitions than you think, not all have to be remembered & some overlap with BUSS1. Especially looking at all past papers i don't feel it is essential to learn all 110 definitions verbatim but cover the most necessary ones e.g. marketing mix, cash flow, budgets etc..
Original post by BlackHokage
i feel in BUSS2 there a fewer definitions than you think, not all have to be remembered & some overlap with BUSS1. Especially looking at all past papers i don't feel it is essential to learn all 110 definitions verbatim but cover the most necessary ones e.g. marketing mix, cash flow, budgets etc..

Agreed but the think is only like 6 come up which really is annoying..
During one VERY boring Bus. Lesson I decided to count all the definitions;P
Bus1 -> 66
Bus2 -> 110

Yup..:s-smilie: didn't the teacher not give you one at the beginning? If not she/ he is an idiot because all of the Info needed is in there.

Business Studies is a joke subject at our school and the teachers know it. Out of a class of 7, only 2 people own a folder and we were given textbooks earlier in the year but I have no idea where mine is. Most of our lessons are joking around and doing a quiz on the whiteboards. We have no notes, no textbook (that I can find) and no motivation to do well.
I can only imagine this can go well.
Business Studies is a joke subject at our school and the teachers know it. Out of a class of 7, only 2 people own a folder and we were given textbooks earlier in the year but I have no idea where mine is. Most of our lessons are joking around and doing a quiz on the whiteboards. We have no notes, no textbook (that I can find) and no motivation to do well.
I can only imagine this can go well.

I'm not too sure what people think at my school.. But I absolutely HATE it. All I've done this year is complain to my friends (which mus have gotten SO annoying) and the teachers think I absolutely love the subject. I jus didn't have the heart to drop the subject xD
I'm not too sure what people think at my school.. But I absolutely HATE it. All I've done this year is complain to my friends (which mus have gotten SO annoying) and the teachers think I absolutely love the subject. I jus didn't have the heart to drop the subject xD

We do basically no work so most people are keeping it next year but I know that if I do it next year I will do no revision and put in no effort and I might get a bad grade whereas I will do work for my other subjects. As weird as it sounds Business is so easy that I might do badly.
I just can't do any business work because I hate it so much but everyone else seems to love it (but I think that is because we do no work.)
Same for me, I have never regretted picking a subject as much as business. Seems to be a common theme complaining to friends xD. If it wasn't for the teachers & there help with past papers definitely would have dropped the subject as the amount you have to learn & what comes up is annoying
Same for me, I have never regretted picking a subject as much as business. Seems to be a common theme complaining to friends xD. If it wasn't for the teachers & there help with past papers definitely would have dropped the subject as the amount you have to learn & what comes up is annoying

It's absolutely ridiculous.. It's definitely being dropped for A2 no matter how much I fail my other subjects. Business is genuinely torture for me.

We sould just complain to eachother:L
Reply 29
Couldn't agree more with you all!!! I literally hate business sooooo much! Worst subject I have ever picked!! I was just wondering, how many points do you make in a long question??? I tend to do 1 detailed point for whatever it's about, and 1 detailed point against then my conclusion, but I feel like 2 points isn't enough?
Original post by elf1
Couldn't agree more with you all!!! I literally hate business sooooo much! Worst subject I have ever picked!! I was just wondering, how many points do you make in a long question??? I tend to do 1 detailed point for whatever it's about, and 1 detailed point against then my conclusion, but I feel like 2 points isn't enough?

Ok what I generally do is have a "definition" or knowledge sentence which generally straight away gets you 1/2 marks.
Generally if the questions asks whether it is a good or bad question and requires strengths and weaknesses I will do about 4 points altogether.
Ok in paragraph one: I will do one strength followed by application from the case study and I'll write about the effect this has on the business but I'll also write what negative impact the strength may have eg: if a business spends money on machinery it can boost efficiency and perhaps decrease the unit costs as there will be more output per employees. HOWEVER (this is the operative word as it shows you are analysing the entirety of the situation and you're not just being biased) purchasing another asset will lead to a increase in the business' cash outflow which may cause short term cash flow problems which may mean they will not be able to pay their supplier but it does mean they are
Likely to make a higher profit margin in a shorter amount of time due to a high output per employees.
If a 15 marker I'd probs do another one of the advantages and then one disadvantage and another (perhaps a lot shorter due to it only being a 15 marker). One thing that's important is that you need a "chain" so if you make a point you need to show what is likely to happen but also mention the action's consequences of the action so it just seems like you've actually considered the question:P Oh and another thing you MUST include facts and stuff from the case study otherwise you aren't likely to get high marks in the Question.
For the 10 + 15 markers you have to have an evaluation. For this I think you have to remember to say your opinion, justify why generally but also explain what they should be aware of and what and maybe what they can do to combat it.

I tend to do this and I generally do well. The problem of mine is time xD
Reply 31
is there an official buss 2 thread?
Ok what I generally do is have a "definition" or knowledge sentence which generally straight away gets you 1/2 marks.
Generally if the questions asks whether it is a good or bad question and requires strengths and weaknesses I will do about 4 points altogether.
Ok in paragraph one: I will do one strength followed by application from the case study and I'll write about the effect this has on the business but I'll also write what negative impact the strength may have eg: if a business spends money on machinery it can boost efficiency and perhaps decrease the unit costs as there will be more output per employees. HOWEVER (this is the operative word as it shows you are analysing the entirety of the situation and you're not just being biased) purchasing another asset will lead to a increase in the business' cash outflow which may cause short term cash flow problems which may mean they will not be able to pay their supplier but it does mean they are
Likely to make a higher profit margin in a shorter amount of time due to a high output per employees.
If a 15 marker I'd probs do another one of the advantages and then one disadvantage and another (perhaps a lot shorter due to it only being a 15 marker). One thing that's important is that you need a "chain" so if you make a point you need to show what is likely to happen but also mention the action's consequences of the action so it just seems like you've actually considered the question:P Oh and another thing you MUST include facts and stuff from the case study otherwise you aren't likely to get high marks in the Question.
For the 10 + 15 markers you have to have an evaluation. For this I think you have to remember to say your opinion, justify why generally but also explain what they should be aware of and what and maybe what they can do to combat it.

Pretty much a blueprint on how to write answers, great to follow in exams but time is a issue O.O with me also do you think 1hr 30mins is enough??
Pretty much a blueprint on how to write answers, great to follow in exams but time is a issue O.O with me also do you think 1hr 30mins is enough??

Haha really? I think I remember how to write the essay more than the actual content of the book xD
And nope it definitely isn't! I need extra timeeeeeeee;(
Reply 34
Original post by krisshP
Can someone PLEASE answer these 2 questions I have?

1. What's the difference between delegation and empowerment? Aren't both of them just the passing down of the authority of decision-making to subordinates from line managers?

2. In Maslow's hierarchy of needs, what needs does training met? I'm guessing esteem needs or self-actualisation.

Thanks

1. Delegation is giving YOUR responsibilities to subordinates, whereas Enpowerment is giving them the power, authority to do the job.
2. What do you mean? If i'm thinking of your question right, Training would lie under safety, however the training works up to help them gain self actualisation, respect and so on. You're meant to read the pyramid upside-down, you cant achieve the top point until you've met all of the other points :smile:
Reply 35
Do we actually have to know the motivation stuff? All I know it that one of them believed in motivators and demotivators. That should be enough .. right?

You want to know Herzberg and Taylor, basically Herzberg believed in motivating workers through hygiene factors, and the idea that motivational/incentives wouldn't work unless all hygiene factors were met, whereas Taylor (scientific management) believed that both money and repetitive work would motivate workers and his technique adopted the 'piece rate' approach which motivated workers to produce more.
Thank you
Reply 37
Hi, I just wanted to ask what topics do you think are likely to come up on the BUSS 2 paper on Tuesday?
Reply 38
Original post by Frxd_S
Hi, I just wanted to ask what topics do you think are likely to come up on the BUSS 2 paper on Tuesday?

Nobody knows, but i'd recommend you learn stuff like motivational theories, the difference between profit and cash flow and technology/machinery :smile:
Reply 39

:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin: Thank you soooo much!!! This is soooo helpful x

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending