The Student Room Group

OCR - A2 English Literature June 2014

Scroll to see replies

Original post by DaniT12345
Is anyone else doing Volpone and Songs of Innocence and Experience for Section B? All we've been taught how to do is essays on sin so if that doesn't come up I have no idea what I'll do :frown:

I am! It's the worst comparison :s-smilie: The other things you could write about are greed,power, corruption, morality, injustice... And then if really stuck in the exam maybe desire/temptation or punishment?
how does everyone know what theyre doing in each section?? isn't it all unseen? help im panicking now
Original post by Fortune36
I'm doing Section A - Shakespeare: King Lear and Section B - Drama & Poetry: Tis Pity She's a Whore & Songs of Innocence.

Any suggestions of what themes or character focus may come up?

Hey, I am doing those texts too! Our teachers have told us its hard to guess what will come up for Lear because its relatively new to the specification, that said Gloucester came up last year so in my opinion for a character question I think it may have something to do with Edgar or Cordelia. I would personally like a order inversion essay question because there is so much you can write or even one about the Fool. For Tis pity/Blake its usually the same themes that come up in the 6 choices which can be Power, Corruption, Desire, Love, Chaos, Religion etc. so you're probably safe choosing a broad question which you can fit a few topics into... for example if you chose power you could do: power of women, power of the church, power of the government, power of love etc. hope this helps!
Original post by noideawhatimdoin
how does everyone know what theyre doing in each section?? isn't it all unseen? help im panicking now

It is all unseen questions but if you know which sort of themes may come up in the comparison essay then its easy to start planning what topic paragraphs you can put into different essays :rolleyes:
Reply 24
Original post by RosyStormborn
Hey, I am doing those texts too! Our teachers have told us its hard to guess what will come up for Lear because its relatively new to the specification, that said Gloucester came up last year so in my opinion for a character question I think it may have something to do with Edgar or Cordelia. I would personally like a order inversion essay question because there is so much you can write or even one about the Fool. For Tis pity/Blake its usually the same themes that come up in the 6 choices which can be Power, Corruption, Desire, Love, Chaos, Religion etc. so you're probably safe choosing a broad question which you can fit a few topics into... for example if you chose power you could do: power of women, power of the church, power of the government, power of love etc. hope this helps!

Thank you :smile: How do you feel about Blake and Tis Pity? Do you enjoy the books?
Original post by TheHall
Any speculation on what the King Lear question may be this year? My other texts are The Wife of Bath and The Rivals. Anybody else doing these?

Finally someone doing the same texts!
My teacher's reckon it will be on the women.
There is a 43 page thread on this exam that you may find useful :biggrin:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2645289&page=42
Original post by jawsontheflooor
Finally someone doing the same texts!
My teacher's reckon it will be on the women.

I really really hope the Lear question is on women!
Reply 28
how did you guys find it?
Not sure if we're allowed to talk about this exam yet but I can't see anything about not posting.

Anyway, I thought it was alright actually. Didn't mind either King Lear questions but went for the one on brutality. The comparison was a bit harder though as none of the questions, apart from the one on power and the one on desires, really fitted the texts I studied, which were 'Tis Pity and The Wife of Bath. Fingers crossed though! How did everyone else find it?
it might sound weird but i realllly loved it! section A for me was the Tempest and we were given an absolute GEM of a question on Prospero, the protagonist so there was so much to discuss and articulate. Section B for me was Tis Pity and Blake, and I agree with CookieMonster, the ones other than desire and power didn't really fit so I ended up going for the power one as the desire one was more specific. I think they were very kind with this paper!
Reply 31
Is anyone else doing Volpone and Songs of Innocence and Experience for Section B? All we've been taught how to do is essays on sin so if that doesn't come up I have no idea what I'll do :frown:

Ha ha. Same. Except our teacher did make a lot of points about abuse of power, so thank **** that came up. The sexuality one would have worked.
Reply 32
I really really hope the Lear question is on women!

Yeah, my teacher thought that...

I suppose Cordelia is a woman. The only 'proper' woman in the play, rather than monstrous whores if you believe most critics.
Original post by wisedavo
Ha ha. Same. Except our teacher did make a lot of points about abuse of power, so thank **** that came up. The sexuality one would have worked.

I did the sexuality one because that was the only one I could even think of an answer for, so thank God that was on there!
Original post by wisedavo
Yeah, my teacher thought that...

I suppose Cordelia is a woman. The only 'proper' woman in the play, rather than monstrous whores if you believe most critics.

I started doing the Cordelia one, realised my entire essay would end up being about Goneril and Regan rather than Cordelia herself then did the brutality question instead, although I got points in there about the sisters' brutality being partly due to the fact they're women who are demonised for taking power..

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending