The Student Room Group
Student in halls, University of Hull
University of Hull
Kingston-upon-Hull
Visit website

15 reasons why Hull is an objectively amazing city to go to uni

As a Hull alumni, I've had enough of the city not getting the recognition it deserves. I had a fantastic 3 years in the place! Here's why Hull is awesome:

1) White telephone boxes. Hull is sticking it to the man and fighting the BT monopoly on telecoms by having its own telephone company, Kingston Communications.

2) Phillip Larkin wrote his poetry in the university library, and Nick Cave made a song about it.

3) Everything is cheap. Ridiculously cheap.

4) In Pearson Park there's an exotic Victorian bird house and they have a giant lizard there and you can go and see it for free.

5) William Wilberforce, leader of the movement to abolish the slave trade, is from Hull. (That's pretty cool in itself, but as an added bonus there’s now a fantastic pub called ‘Ye Old Black Boy’ dedicated to him.)

6) It's the only place in the UK where uttering the phrase 'I'll meet you at the Land of Green Ginger' actually has some basis in reality, and no-one will assume you've been taking something.*

7) There are still 'Rag & Bone' men who wander around with a horse and cart, shouting incomprehensible nonsense and collecting old fridges.

8) There's an overnight ferry to Amsterdam.

9) It is home to the world's most bitterly disappointing fantastic dinosaur museum.

10) It has loads of amazing independent pubs, bars, coffee shops and clubs.

11) Cats. Cats everywhere.

12) The Welly is so awesome that one day over 1000 people queued up outside and they had to call in the riot police in to make sure it was all okay. (It was)

13) There are no hills.

14) It has a rich history, and is home to the last remaining civilian bomb ruin. Due to it's industry and location, it was the second most bombed city in the UK after London, and lost about 95% of its housing.

15) Premier League football club.

---

I do miss it sometimes. :smile:

Anything I've forgotten?

*This can't be guaranteed.
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
It's pretty much ideal for hayfever sufferers due to there not being a tremendous amount of greenery (trees kill me).

Also the marina is really pretty, especially at night

Posted from TSR Mobile
Student in halls, University of Hull
University of Hull
Kingston-upon-Hull
Visit website
Reply 2
Also:
- The Deep is an awesome aquarium, really worth a visit!

- Chip spice, everyone should try it.

- Spiders night club

- The transport museum is great, it's free and has a real old street in it, must see :-)
Original post by marcusgb
Also:
- The Deep is an awesome aquarium, really worth a visit!

- Chip spice, everyone should try it.

- Spiders night club

- The transport museum is great, it's free and has a real old street in it, must see :-)

Totally forgotten about chip spice. Can't get it in Brighton, but was always good from York Yummie Chicken takeaway near Whipmawhopmagate in York.
Anyone else got anything to add? :beard:
You say there are no hills, but my Uni of Hull experience was spent at their Scarborough Campus. Scarborough is basically one big hill.
@BefuddledPenguin I never visited Scarborough. Maybe they're compensating for Hull's total flatness.
Reply 7
Wasn't Hull top of the list in the "Crap Towns" book?
Don't forget that the Buses are amazingly cheap and so frequent, you can get a bus to virtually anywhere in hull in about 15 minutes tops.

Also don't overlook Cottingham where all the accomodation is, that little place lives for the students with so many pubs, takeaways, cheap supermarkets etc.

Original post by Plutonian

Which one? So many people complained that their town didn't make the "crap town" list that they had to make a whole bunch more.
Reply 9
Original post by Gwilym101
Don't forget that the Buses are amazingly cheap and so frequent, you can get a bus to virtually anywhere in hull in about 15 minutes tops.

Also don't overlook Cottingham where all the accomodation is, that little place lives for the students with so many pubs, takeaways, cheap supermarkets etc.

Which one? So many people complained that their town didn't make the "crap town" list that they had to make a whole bunch more.

number two I think. lol people actually complained about that?
Original post by Puddles the Monkey
As a Hull alumni, I've had enough of the city not getting the recognition it deserves. I had a fantastic 3 years in the place! Here's why Hull is awesome:

1) White telephone boxes. Hull is sticking it to the man and fighting the BT monopoly on telecoms by having its own telephone company, Kingston Communications.

2) Phillip Larkin wrote his poetry in the university library, and Nick Cave made a song about it.

3) Everything is cheap. Ridiculously cheap.

4) In Pearson Park there's an exotic Victorian bird house and they have a giant lizard there and you can go and see it for free.

5) William Wilberforce, leader of the movement to abolish the slave trade, is from Hull. (That's pretty cool in itself, but as an added bonus there’s now a fantastic pub called ‘Ye Old Black Boy’ dedicated to him.)

6) It's the only place in the UK where uttering the phrase 'I'll meet you at the Land of Green Ginger' actually has some basis in reality, and no-one will assume you've been taking something.*

7) There are still 'Rag & Bone' men who wander around with a horse and cart, shouting incomprehensible nonsense and collecting old fridges.

8) There's an overnight ferry to Amsterdam.

9) It is home to the world's most bitterly disappointing fantastic dinosaur museum.

10) It has loads of amazing independent pubs, bars, coffee shops and clubs.

11) Cats. Cats everywhere.

12) The Welly is so awesome that one day over 1000 people queued up outside and they had to call in the riot police in to make sure it was all okay. (It was)

13) There are no hills.

14) It has a rich history, and is home to the last remaining civilian bomb ruin. Due to it's industry and location, it was the second most bombed city in the UK after London, and lost about 95% of its housing.

15) Premier League football club.

---

I do miss it sometimes. :smile:

Anything I've forgotten?

*This can't be guaranteed.

Damn, you really sold it me. Gotta visit Hull now.
Original post by Juichiro
Damn, you really sold it me. Gotta visit Hull now.

It's certainly an experience :wink:
Original post by Plutonian

I can 100% guarantee that there are worse places than Hull.
(edited 6 years ago)
It's certainly an experience :wink:

What about the weather and average temperature compared to London?
What about the weather and average temperature compared to London?

The spring is actually lovely in Hull.

In the winter they have the freezing fog of death which kills people who have fallen asleep outside :afraid:
I can 100% guarantee that there are worse places than Hull.

It's different for students vs. living there however - there are social problems.

Elaborate? :0
The spring is actually lovely in Hull.

In the winter they have the freezing fog of death which kills people who have fallen asleep outside :afraid:

Are you kidding with the fog? :/

Unemployment, drugs, that kind of thing.

Hull used to be a really cosmopolitan city because of its location - it was a real hub of trade and culture prior to WWI and had a booming fishing industry.

In WWII Hull was absolutely flattened - 95% of housing was destroyed, it was the second most bombed city in the UK. It never really recovered. The fishing industry was on the decline and eventually collapsed completely in the 70s. Very sad.

I see. But don't all big cities have similar problems?
Are you kidding with the fog? :/

Dead serious :indiff:

I see. But don't all big cities have similar problems?

Social problems? Yes, these things are everywhere. If you're a student in Hull these things won't really affect you but I think that's really where all the bad rep comes from.

Not all big cities suffered during the war in the same way as Hull did. Many places in the North were very badly affected by closing down of industry.
Nah...go to Leeds or York instead.
I'm convinced! I've been considering Hull for a long while but people keep trying to scare me away from the place :lol:

What's it like it terms of different ethnicities, does everyone get along okay there?

Quick Reply

Latest