The Student Room Group

Everyone thinks me being pharmacist means im a failed doctor/dentist

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Freier._.lance
Very good choice :wink:. Even if you don't go into academia your parents will still change their minds when they realise the high salaries you get from doing TPhysics.

Yeah if you sell your soul to the banker haha.
Original post by Zarek
Pharmacy is a competive course to get in to and a very respectable degree.

Mind you the profession doesn't help itself by portraying that the height their knowledge is to give the nod to the sale of two packs of paracetamol in Boots...

Its not competitive... I know people who have finished their a levels after 4 years (they retook their A2s TWICE) and they still had no problem getting offers... Try finding a dental/medical course that allows that
Original post by shahbaz
Yeah if you sell your soul to the banker haha.

Just remember to buy it back with the millions you make.
Just remember to buy it back with the millions you make.

Nice responce, are you thinking of going into banking?
everyone knows pharmacists are glorified shopkeepers.
Original post by shahbaz
Nice responce, are you thinking of going into banking?

I do intend to at some point. Although its more of a back up career.
Why is this in Relationships pls
Original post by Aero Zeppelin
Why is this in Relationships pls

So i can post anonymously
Original post by interact
everyone knows pharmacists are glorified shopkeepers.

The worst thing is, theres an element of truth to this...
If doctors and dentists did their jobs right, we would have no use in pharmacies. Were just there to make sure the wrong dose/drug isnt given...
Original post by Anonymous
So i can post anonymously

But for what reason? There's nothing wrong with doing pharmacy. Other people's opinions shouldn't matter to you either - if it's something you really want to do then go for it. :cool:
I do intend to at some point. Although its more of a back up career.

Yeah working is science is defo more interestering even if the pay isnt that good.
Original post by aspirinpharmacist
In my first week I had someone on my own course tell me 'Doctors are just so superior to all the other courses' or words to that effect. I was raging. Quite a few people were like 'You have the grades, why don't you do medicine?' I don't want to be a doctor, I like doing pharmacy. And it's hard work, anyone who thinks it's a cop-out for medicine is talking out of their backside. :lol:

Also, several pharmacy schools ask for 3 A's.

several pharmacy schools do indeed ask for 3 A's

just not the one you went to....
Pharmacy is really tough, it may seem easy but it is tough. So for those of you inspiring to study Pharmacy at University, I am running 'Bridge the Gap between A Levels and Pharmacy/Medicine' tuition sessions during summer. If you're interested, PM me.

Undergraduate Second Year Pharmacy Student
University of Hertfordshire
GCSEs - 8A*s 4As
A Levels - AABBb
Predicted - 1st/2:1
Ur seriously naive to think people get into medicine and dentistry because its well paid,lol. If you care about money be a salesman,
Original post by trustmeimlying1
several pharmacy schools do indeed ask for 3 A's

just not the one you went to....

So many say they want 3 A in reality, they end up in extra and clearing. Then they lower the entry requirement to close too nothing.
No matter what you do, some people will probably "look down" on you.

Eg, even within medicine, different specialties probably look down on each other.

There's probably not much you can do about it, just accept that people are often ignorant. :p:
Original post by Chief Wiggum

Eg, even within medicine, different specialties probably look down on each other.

I've often wondered after the regard for specifically proctologists. Seems an odd lifechoice, to spend 40 years looking up people's ********s.
Original post by SloaneRanger
So many say they want 3 A in reality, they end up in extra and clearing. Then they lower the entry requirement to close too nothing.

in ireland its quite the opposite...

top top grades and it never goes less than that.trust me.

the uk universities have build more schools to fuel the demand..

in australia I hear its far worse...but still countries like ireland Canada and the us long for more pharmacists so its not all bad
Original post by trustmeimlying1
in ireland its quite the opposite...

top top grades and it never goes less than that.trust me.

the uk universities have build more schools to fuel the demand..

in australia I hear its far worse...but still countries like ireland Canada and the us long for more pharmacists so its not all bad

Too bad its not like that in england - you can get into pharmacy with anything... I have been reading a lot about pharmacy too recently and I wish i went into dentistry or medicine.
Dentists are self employed, very highly respected, work 9-5 and earn a LOT (30k IN THEIR TRAINING YEAR:eek:)
Doctors are very highly respected, very rewarding job and they have so many specialities they can go into and also paid very well.
Pharmacy doesn't have anything that dentistry/medicine has (pay, respect etc.)
Recently when I was hearing my parents and their friends speaking they were talking about how to find dentists and doctors to marry their daughters - not pharmacists...
Original post by Anonymous
Too bad its not like that in england - you can get into pharmacy with anything... I have been reading a lot about pharmacy too recently and I wish i went into dentistry or medicine.
Dentists are self employed, very highly respected, work 9-5 and earn a LOT (30k IN THEIR TRAINING YEAR:eek:)
Doctors are very highly respected, very rewarding job and they have so many specialities they can go into and also paid very well.
Pharmacy doesn't have anything that dentistry/medicine has (pay, respect etc.)
Recently when I was hearing my parents and their friends speaking they were talking about how to find dentists and doctors to marry their daughters - not pharmacists...

im happy at it so far so you go do what yeh like son

best of luck man

having money and respect can be a curse as well as a blessing I will say tho

certainly not what im after..

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending