The Student Room Group

My spots.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by qwertyking
Talk to your GP about the spots.

Your mum probably means well, but it sounds like she is doing an absolutely HORRENDOUS job of helping you - she's making you feel more self-conscious about the whole thing. Listen to your GP, not your mum; I think she should stop commenting on the issue.

Haha so do i, it gets the point where i just have to tell her to go away. It's fine though i've learnt to just deal with it.
Original post by Anonymous
Yeah i've tried lemon juice before.. wasn't great. Does apple cider vinegar do the same?

If diluted with water (about 1 part ACV to 3 parts water) then it can be beneficial for acne. However it does need to be raw apple cider vinegar - not like Heinz (very processed and pasteurised), try Bragg's (can get it on amazon). Just be wary about what you put on your face, treat your face with respect - no overly drying products, this is very damaging! If you have any more questions then ask me, if not then I wish you all the best with your skin and just know that it is possible to get it looking great :smile: x

Can i get that without a prescription??l

Nope. You need to go to the doctors to get a prescription. Just ask them for one and they'll most likely give you one.
Original post by bleepbloop
That's really bad advice about washing your face so often. Washing your face so often will strip it of its natural oils, which will encourage it to produce more oil as a result. This makes your skin 'dehydrated' where it is over-producing oil to make up for the oil that you're stripping from it.
Oil is not the sole cause of acne either. It could be hormones, bacteria, certain ingredients in products, etc.
If you are going to use apple cider vinegar, then do not use it full strength - dilute it with water, and test out a patch first to see if it is too strong for you. Also make sure the apple cider vinegar is raw in order for it to actually have any skin benefits

thank you, omgg so many people get this wrong! its good to know that there are other people that are aware of this :smile:
Your mum doesn't seem to be very set in her words, a bit contradictory, but who am i to judge. Have you been to the doctors, although i am personally against the use of steroids and creams which as a result leave scars, why not try askign your doctor. or alternatively go the pharmacy and find something for sensitive skin, these products are always less harsh on the skin
Reply 25
I've had mild acne ever since i was 11. It has recently gotten worse. My mum believed it was my make up, consequently i stopped using make up however the spots did not improve. I then used benzoyl peroxide and was very happy with the result. My face was clear, however it resulted in my face becoming red, puffy and dry. The skin blackened and peeled off after a while. I wanted to continue using it and see if the side effects would lessen after some time but she told me i can't use it any more. My skin stayed clear for a few days and then she commented on my acne scars telling me i should attempt to get rid of them. A week later the spots have started coming back and now she's claiming it's what i eat. I have been home for the majority of the half term and for the most part i don't eat out. I don't agree that it's the food. Are there any products similar to benzoyl peroxide but without the bad side effects. Is there anything anyone can recommend to get rid of the scars too. Thanks.

I don't know if this has been mentioned but try out 'LUSH Mask of Magnaminty' - it is really good for clearing up any spots and it also cleanses and exfoliates- my friend has been using it for a while now and she said it's worked wonders! hope this helps

Quick Reply

Latest