The Student Room Group

Can I still do it?

Ok so here is the problem, I really want to do medicine at Edinburgh university and their minimum entry requirments are AAAAB all at higher level.

This year (s5) I took five Highers: maths, physics, chemistry, history and English. After sitting the exams I think I didn't do too well at maths so I predict my grades to be AAABB with the B's in Maths and English.

In s6 I'm taking three advanced Highers and higher biology.

Is there any chance I can still do medicine with these Highers?

If not are there any other alternative routes to get into medicine?
Reply 1
Original post by Albaraly
Ok so here is the problem, I really want to do medicine at Edinburgh university and their minimum entry requirments are AAAAB all at higher level.

This year (s5) I took five Highers: maths, physics, chemistry, history and English. After sitting the exams I think I didn't do too well at maths so I predict my grades to be AAABB with the B's in Maths and English.

In s6 I'm taking three advanced Highers and higher biology.

Is there any chance I can still do medicine with these Highers?

If not are there any other alternative routes to get into medicine?

If you hunt around there's a really detailed document on how they score people. I think you need 37/40 min to get an offer

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm afraid not, buddy. Like the prospectus says AAAAB is the minimum requirement - even graduates are expected to meet it.
Don't worry just yet, though. Results are a long way away and we always think we did worse than we actually did! Keep your head up and just try to enjoy your summer. :smile:

Original post by em.d_4
If you hunt around there's a really detailed document on how they score people. I think you need 37/40 min to get an offer

Posted from TSR Mobile

This type of prediction is very speculative, so I wouldn't put much wait behind it. Score needed varies with the scoring system they use!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by Hype en Ecosse
I'm afraid not, buddy. Like the prospectus says AAAAB is the minimum requirement - even graduates are expected to meet it.
Don't worry just yet, though. Results are a long way away and we always think we did worse than we actually did! Keep your head up and just try to enjoy your summer. :smile:

This type of prediction is very speculative, so I wouldn't put much wait behind it. Score needed varies with the scoring system they use!

Posted from TSR Mobile

No when I emailed them to discuss it that is the score required this year to secure an offer. So not speculative at all really
Original post by em.d_4
No when I emailed them to discuss it that is the score required this year to secure an offer. So not speculative at all really

That's interesting to hear! Thanks for the info. :smile:
The score was definitely driven up by the new (terrible) criteria that they used this year - I'm really hoping they change it for next application cycle, but I do know the undergrad committee plan on changing it sometime. Interviews soon hopefully. :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by Hype en Ecosse
That's interesting to hear! Thanks for the info. :smile:
The score was definitely driven up by the new (terrible) criteria that they used this year - I'm really hoping they change it for next application cycle, but I do know the undergrad committee plan on changing it sometime. Interviews soon hopefully. :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's okay :smile:
Basically they told me that 37 was cut off and a couple with 36 got in and they chose those based on ukcat.
It's an odd system as it essentially brings the entire thing down to two people's opinions of your personal statement

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending