The Student Room Group

Sixth Form - Guys Hair

Removed.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 1
Dye it grey around the temple area :smile:
Reply 2
Something short - mid length looks more 'grown up' than a long mess. Something actually styled than just let to grow also looks more professional and adult imo. The 'Hitler Youth Haircut' tends to be pretty popular nowadays, but any 'short back and sides' would suit most face types :smile:
Reply 3
Can you specify your hair type? i.e colour, thickness, length, texture, curly or straight?
Generally I would recommend using gel or wax to achieve a more mature look. Slicking your hair back with gel is a very sophisticated look if done properly. For this to work, your hair needs to have a decent length at the front/top - sides aren't as important. This will work if your hair is straight / thin.
If your hair is curly then you should definitely grow it out, and once its grown out, apply mousse to it.
I can't help much more until I know your specific hair type, but just remember that most sophisticated hairstyles, in males, consist of the wet-look (however you don't want to have greasy hair, so don't try to apply oils or serums to achieve the wet-look).
Slicked back hair / quiffs (which can be achieved with wax - a softer, less stiffening version of gel) are what you should be aiming for.
With curls, you want to grow them out and mousse them - this would look better with facial hair.
If you have afro hair, then obviously these styles won't work, so just let me know the specifics of your hair if I haven't already covered your hair type.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 4
Shorter on the sides, slicked back or messy is pretty hot.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by Askingquestion16
Hi , thanks for your reply! Sure I'll tell you more about my hair - brown, moderately thick (I can put it up without any products and it roll stay there for a few minutes before falling down), I'm fine with most lengths, though I most prefer short to medium length hair , my hair is quite a rough texture, it is mostly straight, though it can end up curling in sections and to be honest looking pretty bad because of that.

I think you should try to use product and you'll see different results when you put your hair up.
Rub some mousse in your hair and apply a small amount to your whole hair while it's wet - this will help to tame it since it's thick. Then, blowdry it into the style you want (just slicked back really). Use a hard wax like VO5 and rub it into your hands - you shoulsdnotice that it softens and warms up - apply this to all of your hair once it's a little more dry and this should help to keep the quiff up and to tame the small curls. Blowdry it backwards again just to keep it in place!
Reply 6
Any specific people/images you could reference to?

http://media-cache-ec0.pinimg.com/736x/63/db/1c/63db1c680a5004d154e6c122cc84b4e2.jpg
Reply 7
Wow, thanks I'll definitely try that (as soon as exams are over) so it'll be another week or two. How long does that take? Also, do you have any advice on how to get hairstyles such as the ones on this link - http://www.pinterest.com/mattsgrl12889/mens-hairstyles/ ? Specifically the one from mylifeisbrilliant.com. Thanks!

So get your sides cut short and leave a decent amount of hair on the top. Again, blowdry your hair but don't slick it back as much. Most guys just use a tiny bit of wax to quiff the front, and then you can just mess up the rest using wax to texturise it. Zach Braff uses mousse to keep his hair up but still messy. So, use mousse on the back and wax on the front.
You could use gel but this will stiffen your hair.
Reply 8
It'd be awesome to get it like that! Do you have any ideas what products to use?

After you wash your hair, and its sort of damp, you can use treseme mousse to style it, and then finish it off with garnier fructis paste by just running your fingers through the longer parts of your hair creating that sleek look. :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Petulia
Can you specify your hair type? i.e colour, thickness, length, texture, curly or straight?
Generally I would recommend using gel or wax to achieve a more mature look. Slicking your hair back with gel is a very sophisticated look if done properly. For this to work, your hair needs to have a decent length at the front/top - sides aren't as important. This will work if your hair is straight / thin.
If your hair is curly then you should definitely grow it out, and once its grown out, apply mousse to it.
I can't help much more until I know your specific hair type, but just remember that most sophisticated hairstyles, in males, consist of the wet-look (however you don't want to have greasy hair, so don't try to apply oils or serums to achieve the wet-look).
Slicked back hair / quiffs (which can be achieved with wax - a softer, less stiffening version of gel) are what you should be aiming for.
With curls, you want to grow them out and mousse them - this would look better with facial hair.
If you have afro hair, then obviously these styles won't work, so just let me know the specifics of your hair if I haven't already covered your hair type.

:biggrin:That quote just makes me think of this
(edited 9 years ago)
Thanks! Wish me look - hopefully I won't look as young and boring aha :biggrin:

You wont! try it out and post a pic if you want. :smile:
Thanks! Yeah I probably won't use gel then. I'm going to basically try loads of different things then soon. As far as getting it cut goes - how much should I be looking to spend? Do I show them an image of what I want it to look like? What do I ask them/tell them to do? Do I ask them to put products in it straight away to style it for the first time so that I can then do it again? You've been so helpful, and if you could answer just these last few questions that would be amazing :smile:

It depends on your Barber really. I always assumed that male haircuts just had a generic price based on where you go, but really all you're going to ask for is short sides - about half an inch of hair. You could do this yourself with clippers too (anyone can use clippers - it's like using a razor except you can run it through your scalp and it literally just clips the ends off). Tell them you want it longer on the top - straight after the haircut you might think it looks weird, but you need to apply product to make it ruffled.
VO5 is the best brand for males I think, since most other brands for haircare aren't as popular. Buy a wax (shouldn't be more than £7 really) and a mousse, which you might have to get from the women's range - it's usually a pink bottle and around £2-3 ish. So, apply mousse to the back while it's still wet, blowdry, and then use wax on the front for a quiff. Add more wax at the end if you want to keep the messy part in place. Tame down the short sides with mousse also, since mousse is quite sticky (rub it in your hands first though, to avoid too much stickiness and clumps).
If you go to a unisex hairdressers like Supercuts, they'll be more open to photos and styling your hair for you afterwards and they know a lot more about styling than Barbers do. This could cost up to £25 ish though, but use your student card and you get 10% off in Supercuts. Good luck!
Reply 12
Yes, this may sound weird to post, but next year I actually want to do something with my hair so that I look older. Any recommendations on what styles might look good? I want it to be quite easy to manage as well as appropriate for education/interviews/volunteering etc.

I'd say standard short back and sides, but different hair styles suit different head shapes, maybe post a photo of yourself?
Reply 13
Original post by Petulia
It depends on your Barber really. I always assumed that male haircuts just had a generic price based on where you go, but really all you're going to ask for is short sides - about half an inch of hair. You could do this yourself with clippers too (anyone can use clippers - it's like using a razor except you can run it through your scalp and it literally just clips the ends off). Tell them you want it longer on the top - straight after the haircut you might think it looks weird, but you need to apply product to make it ruffled.
VO5 is the best brand for males I think, since most other brands for haircare aren't as popular. Buy a wax (shouldn't be more than £7 really) and a mousse, which you might have to get from the women's range - it's usually a pink bottle and around £2-3 ish. So, apply mousse to the back while it's still wet, blowdry, and then use wax on the front for a quiff. Add more wax at the end if you want to keep the messy part in place. Tame down the short sides with mousse also, since mousse is quite sticky (rub it in your hands first though, to avoid too much stickiness and clumps).
If you go to a unisex hairdressers like Supercuts, they'll be more open to photos and styling your hair for you afterwards and they know a lot more about styling than Barbers do. This could cost up to £25 ish though, but use your student card and you get 10% off in Supercuts. Good luck!

I can vouch for Supercuts as well, usually does the business, just go in there with a clear idea of what you want, otherwise you'll end up like me the one time they massacred my fringe :/

Quick Reply