The Student Room Group

Suggestions?

Our schools' UCAS days are coming up; [Where they introduce us to UCAS etc etc, I'm in year 12] and I still haven't got the slightest clue as to what to study at uni.

I study Maths, Graphics, Spanish and my native language. Preferably I would like to do something Mathematical based because that's something I enjoy. I'm predicted AAAB this year and have strong faith that I can pull out an A/A* for Maths at the end of A2... Suggestions?:confused:

Also, I was wondering if Foundation courses are worth it. E.g, 1st year foundation, 2nd, 3rd & 4th year; actual degree.
Was looking to apply to a Mech Eng foundation degree [4yrs] as a backup.
Reply 1
Do something you enjoy, remember you will be paying for it lol!
As you like maths, why not check on career websites and find careers related to the subject, that way you can have an idea of any courses to study for that career path :smile:
Reply 2
As you like maths, why not check on career websites and find careers related to the subject, that way you can have an idea of any courses to study for that career path :smile:
Original post by edothero
Our schools' UCAS days are coming up; [Where they introduce us to UCAS etc etc, I'm in year 12] and I still haven't got the slightest clue as to what to study at uni.

I study Maths, Graphics, Spanish and my native language. Preferably I would like to do something Mathematical based because that's something I enjoy. I'm predicted AAAB this year and have strong faith that I can pull out an A/A* for Maths at the end of A2... Suggestions?:confused:

Also, I was wondering if Foundation courses are worth it. E.g, 1st year foundation, 2nd, 3rd & 4th year; actual degree.
Was looking to apply to a Mech Eng foundation degree [4yrs] as a backup.

Why a foundation degree? If you are on target to get those grades, a foundation degree is not for you. They are intended to help people without the right qualifications get onto a degree. You don't appear to be in that position.
Reply 4
Original post by carnationlilyrose
Why a foundation degree? If you are on target to get those grades, a foundation degree is not for you. They are intended to help people without the right qualifications get onto a degree. You don't appear to be in that position.

Because I don't have [didn't pick] A-Level Physics, which is one of the requirements at the best unis, Mech engineering appeals to me a lot but I wasn't advised properly in year 11 on my options so I just picked Maths, alongside other random subjects that I prevailed at in GCSE, which is a major letdown. So I thought applying to one foundation degree would be ideal as it would probably be the escape route for me if I desperately want to do Mech Eng. What is your opinion about this?
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Mav455

I shall utilise this idea, thanks :biggrin:
Because I don't have [didn't pick] A-Level Physics, which is one of the requirements at the best unis, Mech engineering appeals to me a lot but I wasn't advised properly in year 11 on my options so I just picked Maths, alongside other random subjects that I prevailed at in GCSE, which is a major letdown. So I thought applying to one foundation degree would be ideal as it would probably be the escape route for me if I desperately want to do Mech Eng. What is your opinion about this?

I see. Sorry, I wasn't paying enough attention to your subjects. I can see you haven't got much chance without physics. My advice would be to contact the university in advance and ask them how they would view your application.
Reply 7
If you can pick up an AS at physics it might be worth looking at Scottish unis like Heriot Watt who do 5 year courses in engineering. Heriot Watt is highly rated for engineering as are a number of other Scottish unis.
Reply 8
Original post by carnationlilyrose
I see. Sorry, I wasn't paying enough attention to your subjects. I can see you haven't got much chance without physics. My advice would be to contact the university in advance and ask them how they would view your application.

Some mid-league universities ask for A-Level Maths only, and in the comments go on to say " A-Level Physics preferred "
What are my odds of getting into those?
Some mid-league universities ask for A-Level Maths only, and in the comments go on to say " A-Level Physics preferred "
What are my odds of getting into those?
No idea, I'm afraid. It will vary from place to place. Call them one by one and ask before wasting a slot on your Ucas form on any that won't look at you.
On the subject of foundation years, I know several people who have done one at Manchester, and not one has said that they regret it. Indeed, they can be a fantastic way to get into a uni that would otherwise be out of your reach :yep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
If you're interested in Mech Eng is there any chance you could take Physics AS next year? (or even all in one year so you end up with 3 A levels plus 2 AS)

It demonstrates that you've recognised that it is needed for the degree you want to do and would open up your options for universities to apply to.
Reply 12
Original post by PQ
If you're interested in Mech Eng is there any chance you could take Physics AS next year? (or even all in one year so you end up with 3 A levels plus 2 AS)

It demonstrates that you've recognised that it is needed for the degree you want to do and would open up your options for universities to apply to.

This ^^^^

Both my sons are Mechanical Engineers, one graduated last year the other is in his first year of uni now. They both state how important it is.
Reply 13
Original post by Folion
This ^^^^

Both my sons are Mechanical Engineers, one graduated last year the other is in his first year of uni now. They both state how important it is.

Thanks :smile: I will ask our head of sixth form if there's any chance that I could pickup Physics at AS.

I also have the chance to do Architecture at UCL (AABe ; very obtainable grades.) But I don't know if that'll be a good choice. So confused, I want to do something I like, and something that opens up good job prospects for the future. I don't think Architecture has good job prospects. I think... :confused:
Thanks :smile: I will ask our head of sixth form if there's any chance that I could pickup Physics at AS.

I also have the chance to do Architecture at UCL (AABe ; very obtainable grades.) But I don't know if that'll be a good choice. So confused, I want to do something I like, and something that opens up good job prospects for the future. I don't think Architecture has good job prospects. I think... :confused:

Architecture is (certainly at Manchester, and so I presume this is the case at other unis) essentially a creative arts degree. You'll spend lots of time on Photoshop and AutoCAD and making models, and absolutely no time using a calculator. I know that this is something that disappointed a friend of mine who was stuck between a STEM degree and architecture before settling on architecture.

Something to think about, anyway

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
Original post by Origami Bullets
Architecture is (certainly at Manchester, and so I presume this is the case at other unis) essentially a creative arts degree. You'll spend lots of time on Photoshop and AutoCAD and making models, and absolutely no time using a calculator. I know that this is something that disappointed a friend of mine who was stuck between a STEM degree and architecture before settling on architecture.

Something to think about, anyway

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah I'm more towards engineering than architecture atm but we'll see

Whilst the grades are lower at UCL, it's also one of the best architecture schools in the country, with fierce competition for places. Much of what gets you an offer at the bartlett (UCL) is an outstanding portfolio, demonstrating strong drawing and representational skills.
(I know you said you were erring more towards engineering but it's possibly worth knowing).
Also, job prospects aren't awful within architecture! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest