The Student Room Group

AS Levels: Philosophy & Ethics or English Lit

Which as level do you think, for those with experience studying either, provides and develops the skills beneficial for a law degree?

By the way, the one i choose will accompany: History, German, Maths and Economics. (I know its 5 but ive been reassured by teachers that im capable and im up for the challenge:p: )

Also i might want to apply to Oxford for Jurisprudence which i have heard is quite philosophical, so maybe philosophy and ethics might be useful for this?

Btw im predicted A for GCSE English Lit and i haven't done GCSE R.E.

Thanks for ur relpies
Reply 1
either, maybe p & e if i was u, its a bit more interesting, a bit different and cud help u with subjects like jurisprudence. uve got very core academic subjects so it wnt make any difference. . . . but id go for the p&e - leaves options open a bit more x
Reply 2
i did both those subjects at a level and they were actually fairly similar as half the philosophy course was set texts like literature is, although obv your course could be different.
personally i found philosophy was a bit more rounded as it made you think about things as well as only reading texts
i think the philosophy will round things off nicely, after all you have an essay based subject (which contains, some would argue, a harder essay technique to master than eng lit anyway) in history and this would add a new dimension to your subjects...
Will you be planning on doing this subject for the full A-level, or just for AS?
As a professional philosopher of law, I strongly recommend that you do English Lit.
Reply 6
I'm not sure whether i would take either to full A level, maybe but it depends if im interested in the A2 course and my AS results.

To the above poster, why do you strongly recommend english lit?
nayiseda
I'm not sure whether i would take either to full A level, maybe but it depends if im interested in the A2 course and my AS results.

Then I would suggest that you should do which ever one you are best at.

nayiseda
To the above poster, why do you strongly recommend english lit?

Probably because the philosophy side of things will be best done on the Jurisprudence course at Oxford.
By doing English Lit, you will be able to develop very good reading and writing skills that would not only help you at university but also be of help for when you come to do the LNAT.
Hold on, theres a big assumption there that they will be successful in getting into Oxford :redface:! Anyway, why would you want to go there ... to me the course reads rubbish and is far too philosophical and theoretical.
Lewis-HuStuJCR
Hold on, theres a big assumption there that they will be successful in getting into Oxford :redface:!

Well this is Nayiseda's fifth A-level, so it doesn't really make that much difference.

Lewis-HuStuJCR
Anyway, why would you want to go there[?]

For personal preference??
Yea it was a rhetorical question. I was expressing my opinion.
Lewis takes a dim view of philosophy. That explains a lot! :p:

The reason I advised Nayiseda as I did is that philosophy, like law, is a subject that tends to be studied in a misleading way at A-level, with too much emphasis on secondary literature and edited extracts. People who take it tend to think they know more about the subject than they really do, and hence are overconfident when they encounter it again at university.

Eng lit, on the other hand, is a subject with a very good reputation at A-level, with a dominant focus on primary rather than secondary materials, and on works read in their entirety rather than extracted.
I don't think the Oxford law course is too philosophical- although they are spot on for jurisprudence. A lecturer at Oriel has a philosophy and a law dregree and is apparently very good at the whole jurisprudence thing. Apart from that I'd say the title of 'BA Jurisprudence' is there just for traditional reasons and not reflective of the full nature of the course.
Reply 13
Thx for the replies i think im gonna go for: English Lit, the reason being i think i would be better at it and there is coursework, taking a bit of the pressure off come exam time.

So that leaves me with: History, English Lit, German, Maths, Economics

Do you think that is a good combination, will it prepare me well for a law degree and hopefully a career in corporate law?
Fantastic combination, although I would never to 5. Why do you feel the need to?
Reply 15
I was 'persuaded' by my teachers and i dont see the harm in it, i can always drop one subject if it gets too much.
Also i've commited myself to a german exchange to frankfurt next year which should be amazing
nayiseda
Thx for the replies i think im gonna go for: English Lit, the reason being i think i would be better at it and there is coursework, taking a bit of the pressure off come exam time.

So that leaves me with: History, English Lit, German, Maths, Economics

Do you think that is a good combination, will it prepare me well for a law degree and hopefully a career in corporate law?

Yes, a great combination. Will definitely prepare you well for a law degree and a career in corporate law. Good luck with it!
Someones got themselves sorted well in advance :redface:! Beware of pigeon holing, get well rounded experience to show employers why you chose them and that you have come to a well reasoned decision.

But yea, good luck!
Reply 18
Thanks for the replies, just have to wait for these GCSE results to come out
nayiseda
Thanks for the replies, just have to wait for these GCSE results to come out

Good Luck!

Latest

Trending

Trending