The Student Room Group

If you could rid yourself of one emotion what would it be?

Scroll to see replies

Strange to see this topic as I was actually reading an article today that was reviewing an experimental pill that would eliminate negative memories and emotions

Personally, I wouldn't get rid of any. I think its hard to see the benefit of negative emotions yet going through them and then overcoming them is part of growth - altering would most likely have negative consequences.
Reply 21
Boredom / laziness if they count as one.
Original post by + polarity -
Is fear an emotion? I don't feel much of anything these days but I think living without fear would be pretty cool. I couldn't get rid of sadness, it's what keeps us grounded.

Until you jump off a bridge because it doesn't scare you at all
Fear is clearly the best answer. Imagine what you would accomplish. Talk to all the girls you want you'd be able to nail every job interview and have an epic social life.
Lust.

I wouldn't want to get rid of it forever, but having the option to turn it off and focus on other things for a few years would be nice.
Reply 25
I'm just going to go ahead and say lust because it causes trouble more often than not, and it's the only thing I can think of that isn't actually necessary to our basic surviving.
Reply 26
nostalgia
Reply 27
Lust. At least all the others can be useful

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 28
Sadness.
Reply 29
Original post by Physika
Lust. At least all the others can be useful

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm gonna go with lust too. Hate it when I give something up due to lust!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Another vote for loneliness.
Reply 31
Jealousy
Reply 32
Reply 33
Tough one. It'd be easy to say something like 'hatred', but realistically I don't hate very much, so saying that wouldn't be of much practical benefit. Another good one would be suffering, but I don't suffer much either. After a bit of consideration, I think I would rid myself of fear. Fear has some benefits, but only in the way of providing a heuristic for when my rational brain doesn't have time to function well - the rest of the time it gets in the way. I think ridding myself of fear would be the one that would improve my life the most.
Hmm, it's hard, this. I keep thinking of concepts like "egoism" and "certainty I am right", but obviously those aren't really feelings...or are they? I'm going to say they are, and that's my answer here. Egoism is my answer...a 'feeling' of ego...if that can be called a feeling.
Reply 35
Anger. I get angry at very silly things. Sometimes I'm just looking for a fight. I wish I was more calm and cool headed.
Reply 36
I don't know - the bad ones I never really feel
Reply 37
Worry/anxiety for me, too.
i'd get rid of happiness since i pretty much never experience it,
so it's useless just having it around
Boredom. Everything else is either a good feeling to have or makes you stronger.
Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending