The Student Room Group

Is there any academically successful girl from poor, humble background?

Hello. I currently study at UCL and just finished my first year now.

I come from absolute poverty by UK standards, never owned a house, raised by a single mum working on very low income, hit hard by austerity measures.

I was wondering whether there are some girls here from humble backgrounds that manage to get by alright despite similar constrains.

So far I have met some Muslim girls who were also from low income background but they were usually from nuclear families with emphasis on religious ethic and hard work.

Would you consider yourself that person?

Scroll to see replies

Nuclear families? What? XD haha Margret thatcher came from a humble background, but she's a conservative so I despise her tbh haha

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by chantheman
Nuclear families? What? XD haha Margret thatcher came from a humble background, but she's a conservative so I despise her tbh haha

Posted from TSR Mobile

Nuclear families = mum + dad together, 2/3 brothers&sisters.

Thatcher came from rather lower-middle class which is not too bad. She had existential security etc.
Original post by WannabeEconomist
Nuclear families = mum + dad together, 2/3 brothers&sisters.

Thatcher came from rather lower-middle class which is not too bad. She had existential security etc.

Oh I see, sorry I've never heard of the term but meh you learn something new everyday, you can find this stuff online tbh, however I can say my mum was a single mother who during my childhood studied for a degree and now has a better job and owns a property :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
I am from such background.
Original post by Helg
I am from such background.

Are you really? From the posts I've read I it seems you come from stable middle class background
Original post by chantheman
Oh I see, sorry I've never heard of the term but meh you learn something new everyday, you can find this stuff online tbh, however I can say my mum was a single mother who during my childhood studied for a degree and now has a better job and owns a property :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Then consider yourself lucky, good for you.
lol peasant
There was an Indian peasant once with no education at all of any description who went to Cambridge to read maths.
Original post by Old_Simon
There was an Indian peasant once with no education at all of any description who went to Cambridge to read maths.

Taught himself using second-hand books under a tree to shade him from the sun :moon:
There was this homeless girl who got into Harvard! I can't remember her name but she worked really hard :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hello. I currently study at UCL and just finished my first year now.

I come from absolute poverty by UK standards, never owned a house, raised by a single mum working on very low income, hit hard by austerity measures.

I was wondering whether there are some girls here from humble backgrounds that manage to get by alright despite similar constrains.

So far I have met some Muslim girls who were also from low income background but they were usually from nuclear families with emphasis on religious ethic and hard work.

Would you consider yourself that person?

Hello! Yes, me, I think!

I've also been raised by a single mum, we've been below the poverty line my whole life, I have no formal qualifications (eg GCSEs, A levels) - BUT I have a conditional offer to study physics Masters at Edinburgh University this year! :smile: So yes, anything is possible!
Original post by AwkwardLemur
lol peasant

Do you really find this amusing? Besides, peasants were a class above proletarians on so many different levels before the haste of industrial revolution.
Original post by cah846
Hello! Yes, me, I think!

I've also been raised by a single mum, we've been below the poverty line my whole life, I have no formal qualifications (eg GCSEs, A levels) - BUT I have a conditional offer to study physics Masters at Edinburgh University this year! :smile: So yes, anything is possible!

Wow this is amazing, so what did you before getting offer to study physics masters at Edinburgh? Are you UK national or from elsewhere? Are you an ethnic minority here? I say this because if you're below poverty line but you still succeed academically the chances are you come from an ethnic minority background who emphasize the importance of education.
Do you really find this amusing? Besides, peasants were a class above proletarians on so many different levels before the haste of industrial revolution.

lol proletarian
lol peasant

lol proletarian

lol utter and total cock.
Original post by cambio wechsel
lol utter and total cock.

lol rustled

i'm joking, we're all gonna make it brahs, gl
I wasn't joking. The kid was thrown out of college lol.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Srinivasa_Ramanujan
Wow this is amazing, so what did you before getting offer to study physics masters at Edinburgh? Are you UK national or from elsewhere? Are you an ethnic minority here? I say this because if you're below poverty line but you still succeed academically the chances are you come from an ethnic minority background who emphasize the importance of education.

I'm British through and through, mother's family is from Bristol/London, father's family is from Republic of Ireland :smile:

I've been doing distance learning courses with The Open University since I was 16, in maths and science :smile:
a lot of poor girls get into places like ucl, durham etc.
oxbridge is of course a completely different kettle of fish.

Quick Reply

Latest