The Student Room Group

Being enrolled in US graduate school if faling to achieve hons degree ?

I was previously accepted by some US graduate schools. As you guys may know, US sides offer kind of "unconditional offer", which does not specify what standard they expect you to achieve for modules not yet examined. They just appear to accept me without expecting later performance. However,I just did my final exams. I could not predict accurately,but it is reasonable to believe grades for my last three modules are generally, bad! In particular I risk failing one of those. The policy at my school indicates failing to achieve required credits will end up with an ordinary degree,not a honorary degree as intended. From US schools they officially mention: "We require confirmation that you have received a baccalaureate degree or the equivalent. Your enrollment is conditional on you providing official transcript(s) confirming your degree(s) and all graduate-level work (if applicable)." If I indeed fail to pass all last three exams and bear an ordinary degree to US, will I risk being rejected from them ?

Unfortunately I found it is not possible to resit failed exams in final year, at least through general pathway.Any recommendation I may attempt to negotiate with either my current school or perspective US one ?
Reply 1
any idea ~~??
You need to contact the school individually. Sometimes there are graduate school regulations (so, something the department cannot control) about the minimum GPA a student needs in order to enroll. This is especially true of public schools. However, sometimes this can be got around with a sign off from the department head. In either case, you need to speak directly with them, but ONLY do that once you have your results.
Reply 3
Original post by madamemerle
You need to contact the school individually. Sometimes there are graduate school regulations (so, something the department cannot control) about the minimum GPA a student needs in order to enroll. This is especially true of public schools. However, sometimes this can be got around with a sign off from the department head. In either case, you need to speak directly with them, but ONLY do that once you have your results.

Sorry for replying so late since you had offered a nice solution for the situation. I did eventually fail one of final exams and was awarded an Ordinary degree. But follow what you suggested I discussed the case with US school, providing a few understandable ideas to explain the case. It is pretty sure now I can safely get into the school simply with my certificate. Since my case is perhaps rare for British UG. This appears to provide an answer for anyone who might encounter similar circumustances.

Forget to mention I shall go to NYU for a Master in Public Administration.Cheers, madamemerle
[QUOTE="law159;48819751"]
Original post by madamemerle

Forget to mention I shall go to NYU for a Master in Public Administration.Cheers, madamemerle

Hi, I'm also interested in applying to NYU for postgraduate study and I was just wondering if you wouldn't mind answering a few questions. How did you find the application process? And what university and degree did you study for your undergrad?
How did you manage that? Extenuating circumstances?
Wouldn't it be better to do post grad when comfortable with undergrad level academia?
Reply 6
Original post by hellodave5
How did you manage that? Extenuating circumstances?
Wouldn't it be better to do post grad when comfortable with undergrad level academia?

I did not particularly provide "excuses" nor extenuating circumustances, in fact I don't have such circumustances by definition.I just revealed some sensible situations that explain how things I did during last term time hamper academic performance. These are basically something like pursuing internship opportunity, Community serviced engaged,etc. I also add that my previous academic record is indeed excellent ,skills obtained through previous curriculum are already enough to do the MA. You may think those ideas apply to many of applicants so might not be persuasive.Indeed I used to be a little concerned how effective these wordings have. But the school seems happy with what I said. I suppose this is subject to each school. As the previous post indicates, public schools maybe strict in admission criterion in terms of gpa but I apply to only private schools.

I apply to the US school because I want to alter my future career from the anticipated profession through my UG. And I fail the module which is highly unrelated to that field I wish to do. This perhaps add another weight for explaining the situation. Since they are somehow distinctively different and my UG record appears not that significant in this case.
Reply 7
[QUOTE="suzannataylor;48852815"]
Original post by law159

Hi, I'm also interested in applying to NYU for postgraduate study and I was just wondering if you wouldn't mind answering a few questions. How did you find the application process? And what university and degree did you study for your undergrad?

Of course I am happy to share my experience. At first, NYU is a pretty big university( same with Columbia, but lets specify at NYU). You should firstly look at the programme you want.They have more than 10 schools, most are administrated individually. I personally believe locating the programme really takes time,unless you are quite sure what you want to do.After finding what you want, go to webpage of the school(not NYU home)which offers the course and somewhere in the web you will find a link showing words like"start a new application". Once you register for online application, you should by large understand what documentation needed, application deadline,etc. Also taking care of FAQ section, it helps sort out many basic confusions ! If you have further questions not explained through open information, drop an email to them and they will answer.Just remind you good US graduate schools have strict application deadline, some as early as middle December, especially if you wish to pursue scholarships.So do it quickly if you really want.

I graduated from City University London
Original post by law159
I did not particularly provide "excuses" nor extenuating circumustances, in fact I don't have such circumustances by definition.I just revealed some sensible situations that explain how things I did during last term time hamper academic performance. These are basically something like pursuing internship opportunity, Community serviced engaged,etc. I also add that my previous academic record is indeed excellent ,skills obtained through previous curriculum are already enough to do the MA. You may think those ideas apply to many of applicants so might not be persuasive.Indeed I used to be a little concerned how effective these wordings have. But the school seems happy with what I said. I suppose this is subject to each school. As the previous post indicates, public schools maybe strict in admission criterion in terms of gpa but I apply to only private schools.

I apply to the US school because I want to alter my future career from the anticipated profession through my UG. And I fail the module which is highly unrelated to that field I wish to do. This perhaps add another weight for explaining the situation. Since they are somehow distinctively different and my UG record appears not that significant in this case.

Well much respect for your... fortitude and intuitiveness!
In honesty, what grade are you expecting to achieve? A 2.2 you can get away with for a MSc in the UK... so you wouldn't have to move to the US. V happy for you if the US schools take you on - especially if your classification won't be indicative of your actual ability.
What field are you hoping to go into may I ask?
Reply 9
Original post by hellodave5
Well much respect for your... fortitude and intuitiveness!
In honesty, what grade are you expecting to achieve? A 2.2 you can get away with for a MSc in the UK... so you wouldn't have to move to the US. V happy for you if the US schools take you on - especially if your classification won't be indicative of your actual ability.
What field are you hoping to go into may I ask?

You are so nice for praising me, in fact overpraise a bit !

I actually expect a 1st ! and my final grade is some 66 on average. It's a bit stiff to admit I intended to go to US for a master degree,although I also applied a few UK schools at the same time.

I wish to join NGO, preferably in sectors bear strong association with human right and culture. UNESCO is a big aim of course. While studying at City Uni leads me ultimately to be a banker or some role in the City. I am not that money-driven:smile::smile::smile::smile:and wanna do things I enjoy. I suppose my case is rare, isn't it??:K:......Many sources tell that US schools have better education and connection in this area and I'd love to take advantage to do a transition.Also there is something unavoidably happy: one two-year life in NYC after London. It is a personal preference but I do find it amazing.
Original post by law159
You are so nice for praising me, in fact overpraise a bit !

I actually expect a 1st ! and my final grade is some 66 on average. It's a bit stiff to admit I intended to go to US for a master degree,although I also applied a few UK schools at the same time.

I wish to join NGO, preferably in sectors bear strong association with human right and culture. UNESCO is a big aim of course. While studying at City Uni leads me ultimately to be a banker or some role in the City. I am not that money-driven:smile::smile::smile::smile:and wanna do things I enjoy. I suppose my case is rare, isn't it??:K:......Many sources tell that US schools have better education and connection in this area and I'd love to take advantage to do a transition.Also there is something unavoidably happy: one two-year life in NYC after London. It is a personal preference but I do find it amazing.

Ah so you are not stuck at all. You can't do any better than a first, so you can pick and choose practically... though I thought you said you were failing, which was a problem (seems now not to be the case).

I'm not sure what NGO is but I assume human rights type charity organisation or legislatory body or something. That sounds great. I too, am not bothered about the money - always nicer to do something good in the world.

Best of luck in your applications :smile:
[QUOTE="law159;48857781"]
Original post by suzannataylor

Of course I am happy to share my experience. At first, NYU is a pretty big university( same with Columbia, but lets specify at NYU). You should firstly look at the programme you want.They have more than 10 schools, most are administrated individually. I personally believe locating the programme really takes time,unless you are quite sure what you want to do.After finding what you want, go to webpage of the school(not NYU home)which offers the course and somewhere in the web you will find a link showing words like"start a new application". Once you register for online application, you should by large understand what documentation needed, application deadline,etc. Also taking care of FAQ section, it helps sort out many basic confusions ! If you have further questions not explained through open information, drop an email to them and they will answer.Just remind you good US graduate schools have strict application deadline, some as early as middle December, especially if you wish to pursue scholarships.So do it quickly if you really want.

I graduated from City University London

Thanks for your message! I'm planning to study a PhD in Anthropology, and the course also incorporates a masters. It seems like application is relatively simple from what I've seen on the website but I was just wondering if you thought it was easy or hard? And did you have to submit an essay or an example of your academic writing? Was the degree at City University your first degree? I'm wondering how easy it is for somebody to be excepted straight after doing an undergrad degree without having done further study or work.
Reply 12
[QUOTE="suzannataylor;48863123"]
Original post by law159

Thanks for your message! I'm planning to study a PhD in Anthropology, and the course also incorporates a masters. It seems like application is relatively simple from what I've seen on the website but I was just wondering if you thought it was easy or hard? And did you have to submit an essay or an example of your academic writing? Was the degree at City University your first degree? I'm wondering how easy it is for somebody to be excepted straight after doing an undergrad degree without having done further study or work.

All your Qs could be answered: it depends on school and programme. Since you know what you want and that's a MA en route to phd. In general, I shouldnt say completing an application is hard, but might be time-consuming or details-focused. I did upload an essay but only do if it is asked. My City degree is my first one and seriously I could not safely say how easy to be admitted into a PHD without experience because it's highly relevant to the tastes of school and they usually specify that in FAQ section with questions like" do you require work experience?", " Is working experience needed?". They may usually answer "not necessarily" but be wary about this and you need to consult the bio of admitted students since sometimes most of them have it. Some programmes are professional incentivised by nature, like finance in top business schools unavoidably asks your working experience. Of course if you want to do a MBA, working experience is mandatory, if you want to do a purely theoretical programme, research background is required, as with excellent academic record. Anthropology from my knowledge should not be so professional related.But quite a few times I encounter cases when this is not mentioned clearly. You could only take it easy if you find facts that they admit students without those"indirectly exposed" conditions.A very easy way is to ask them.

I found it crucial to strictly follow the instruction, do what they ask and dont do what they dont ask. The idea that you provide many more documents than required( such as writing samples) will add a weight to your application is not so right.The same with reference, finding a strong individual knowing you well is better than throwing requests to every lecturer ever taught you.
[QUOTE="law159;48863841"]
Original post by suzannataylor

All your Qs could be answered: it depends on school and programme. Since you know what you want and that's a MA en route to phd. In general, I shouldnt say completing an application is hard, but might be time-consuming or details-focused. I did upload an essay but only do if it is asked. My City degree is my first one and seriously I could not safely say how easy to be admitted into a PHD without experience because it's highly relevant to the tastes of school and they usually specify that in FAQ section with questions like" do you require work experience?", " Is working experience needed?". They may usually answer "not necessarily" but be wary about this and you need to consult the bio of admitted students since sometimes most of them have it. Some programmes are professional incentivised by nature, like finance in top business schools unavoidably asks your working experience. Of course if you want to do a MBA, working experience is mandatory, if you want to do a purely theoretical programme, research background is required, as with excellent academic record. Anthropology from my knowledge should not be so professional related.But quite a few times I encounter cases when this is not mentioned clearly. You could only take it easy if you find facts that they admit students without those"indirectly exposed" conditions.A very easy way is to ask them.

I found it crucial to strictly follow the instruction, do what they ask and dont do what they dont ask. The idea that you provide many more documents than required( such as writing samples) will add a weight to your application is not so right.The same with reference, finding a strong individual knowing you well is better than throwing requests to every lecturer ever taught you.

This is really helpful, thank you! The admission system for US schools seems so complicated compared to applications I've done before! I don't think that I do need a background in anthropology but, as you say, I will check out bios of current students. What essay did you submit? An term paper you did at City or something?
Reply 14
[QUOTE="suzannataylor;48895741"]
Original post by law159

This is really helpful, thank you! The admission system for US schools seems so complicated compared to applications I've done before! I don't think that I do need a background in anthropology but, as you say, I will check out bios of current students. What essay did you submit? An term paper you did at City or something?

You are correct , they use the term" selective" to value how complex the admission criterion is for different schools. It differs a lot from UK system since you could somehow judge your likelihood. It's really hard to say how likely you can be offered a place into a school, as long as it is acclaimed. It's like the feeling what US guys usually delivery: everything is possible ! Therefore two lessons I learnt from my application circle are: 1) dont judge your possibility(and fundamentally you cant do it with confidence), anywhere you want to go, try it. given that you feel financially comfortable 2) Look at things other than academics. You are choosing a school not just by academia but also by its location,US is a fairly big country and that makes a big difference, historically schools with decent academic ambience are located near east coast.On the contrary,California offers endless sunshine apart from your study. The similiar things apply to regional difference, such as in areas close to Mexico there live huge amount of Latinos.Go check out something you may concern and choose where you feel most comfortable. I should say this is somehow attractive to study in US rather than UK because you actually have something more to take.

My course is not essay-focused and I just uploaded essay reports I did to assist my application for some particularly school which asks for it. But for general submission for Arts and Science programmes, do term paper is fine.
Reply 15
I heard NYU is expensive?

Quick Reply

Latest