The Student Room Group
University logo
Abertay University

Game Design and Production Management 2014!

So yeah, a thread about this already exists, but it's from like a year ago, so i thought I'd try and re-ignite the discussion :L So who's starting this course this year? what's everyone thinking about? What did you all have for breakfast? :P Just anything really, this thread is mainly for getting to know people :biggrin:
Reply 1
Moving up from Manchester, got a conditional for the course but hopefully will be staying in Parker Street.
Thinking about this Computing resit on Monday, had Oreos and Blackcurrant Capri-Sun for breakfast
University logo
Abertay University
Oaft, blackcurrant, controversial choice :wink: but thats cool :biggrin: Im not even staying near it, im a-travellin' for first year :L should still be fun times tho :3 I'm using the course as an excuse to play games in all this free time... It's not going down too well :P
Nate, I finished my first year of GDPM and am currently sitting in my flat doing nothing, ha. You'll have a lot of free time but don't do what almost all of us did (and everyone before us) and leave work until the very end - but don't neglect gaming either. In fact, playing as many games as possible is a vital activity that an oddly small amount of GDPM students seem to do. Your entire life is going to revolve around playing and developing games so make sure you're getting at least 2 or 3 hours of gaming done every day. And yes, joking aside (oh, it's "RESEARCH guys!"), gaming is a MASSIVE part of your research and critiquing what you play with friends and on forums/reddit/etc is hugely important. I was thinking about setting up a student society for gamers for this coming academic year that would work in the same way book clubs tend to work - essentially, discussing what we've all been playing that week. It'd be a great way to get people more involved in the analysis of the games they play, because you'll find that a puzzlingly high percentage of most GDPM students don't take game critique seriously or just don't know any better and think "yeah, that game was fun" and stop at that.

Anyway, I've completely gone off topic, but just remember that you need to play as many games for as long as possible, but also don't leave work until the very last minute. 90% of my class did and we all regretted it, ha. If you want to add me on Facebook I can help you ease into the course. Or, hell, just add me if you want another person to do some gaming with.

Either way, best of luck, and welcome to the course. One of my best friends from school is in my class and I've got another best friend from school who'll be in yours, so I'll probably be seeing you around university anyway. And if you're worried about living in Dundee or anything, don't! I travelled from Spain and will be living here for at least 4 or 5 more years and so far it's been pretty good. It's a small city and while there may not be much to do everyone is extremely friendly and it's a pretty pleasant place to live, especially in the western end.
Hey man, thanks for all the advice, I'm sure I'll find it helpful in the future :biggrin: Also: your gaming book club idea actually sounds pretty sweet :O I mean, id go to that :L Id love to add you on facebook, but it doesnt actually say what your real name is on here :P unless it does somewhere and im just not seeing it :L
Looks like an old thread, but I guess I'll chime in anyway. I'm taking GD&PM! Staying in Alloway Halls Flat 06, in case you happen to know who I'll be living with :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest