The Student Room Group

WJEC GCSE English Language 3rd June 2014 Official Thread

Scroll to see replies

I think its typically something more formal and with structure and then something informal and creative etc

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by slide.r2
Would anyone be able to explain how to answer the 1st question (i.e. the 'search and find' one)?

My teacher said that all I have to do is something like this: e.g.

Joe Wade hates Glastonbury due to the people who go there. He resents the "success" that Glastonbury has had and also dislikes the fact that the tickets are ridiculously expensive - costing "£185" each. He describes being at the event was like the "wild west" as the people tore through the site like a "plague of locusts" and they go around "stealing tents and their contents" ...

(The question was: Explain why Joe Wade hates Glastonbury Festival)

Is this correct? or are we supposed to do something else for the first question?

I am asking this as it seems strange because the entire answer is just 1 large paragraph.

For the list and find, you literally just need to write the ten points with hardly any detail. I would include around 12 points just so that you are well within the 10 marks and this question should be done fairly quickly.
Does anyone have any tips on how to do Unit 2 ? I am really struggling on what could come up
Reply 23
I really hope the review question that was suggested ^^ doesn't come up, I haven't practised reviews at all, how should they be different from an article or normal piece of writing?!
Does anybody know what questions came up on paper 2 last year? I can sort off cross them off my list.
Reply 25
Original post by wannabe_lawyer
Does anybody know what questions came up on paper 2 last year? I can sort off cross them off my list.

*May 2011: formal letter + article
June 2011: formal letter + speech
*November 2011: leaflet + formal letter
January 2012: formal letter + leaflet
May 2012: formal letter + leaflet
November 2012: formal letter + report
January 2013: speech + informal letter
June 2013: article + formal letter

*old spec

I don't think you can cross anything off your list tbh
Hi I'm completely confused by the how question. What would I comment on? Could somebody please please please give me an example of a how answer? Also, everyone says to do the describe (1st) question like a list- won't this lack the requirements of the mark scheme?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by kelly_kelly
Anyone know what the unit 2 questions were for last year?

Posted from TSR Mobile

The questions for last year were: 1. Write a lively article for healthy eating, 2. Write a formal letter about something. So I think they will be on a informal letter and hopefully a speech and no leaflet
Reply 28
ONly do it as. A list if it asks you to otherwise you get no marks!
what do you think's gonna come up in UNIT 2 this year?

I'm thinking formal letter and possibly review?!
Reply 30
How does one revise for English?
leaflet and formal letter, im calling it. any tips for the unit 1 english language?
Anyone think section B for tomorrow will be about narrative and not description? I'm praying it is
Reply 33
If we get a leaflet question ... How should we lay it out for the writing paper? Please help

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 34
Original post by sanam98
If we get a leaflet question ... How should we lay it out for the writing paper? Please help

Posted from TSR Mobile

As normal (no columns!) but remember subheadings and if needed, boxes with a description of what picture would be inside it (don't draw pictures)
Reply 35
Original post by CharlotteMcD
Hi I'm completely confused by the how question. What would I comment on? Could somebody please please please give me an example of a how answer? Also, everyone says to do the describe (1st) question like a list- won't this lack the requirements of the mark scheme?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Paper: http://www.wjec.co.uk/uploads/papers/w12-4171-02a.pdf
Examiner report: http://www.wjec.co.uk/uploads/publications/15800.pdf

Have a read of question 3 and the relevant text. Look at the examiner's comment - make sure you're reading the higher tier part. It's a good example of what they're expecting for 'how' :smile:
Reply 36
How much do you need to write for each question on the reading exam? My teacher said about a page but I can't write enough in the time we get.
Can someone please help me with the timings of unit 1, and how to approach the different types of questions: What, How, Why, Compare and Contrast etc.

Please help. Thank you :smile:
Reply 38
This is great for last minute help
https://www.smore.com/nf5s8
Original post by Jaames
How much do you need to write for each question on the reading exam? My teacher said about a page but I can't write enough in the time we get.

It's not really about the quantity page wise, it's how many points you have down, and whether they're relevant to the question :smile:

Locate and retrieve : 12 points to secure 10 marks
For other types of questions you can get away with at least 7 points, with some explained.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending