The Student Room Group

Can you apply for two different courses on UCAS?

HI everyone, I'm torn between two different courses I really want to do so wondering if we are able to apply for one course at one or two unis and another course at the rest of the uni choices?????

Will be grateful for any help :smile:
Reply 1
Original post by OneLittleStudent
HI everyone, I'm torn between two different courses I really want to do so wondering if we are able to apply for one course at one or two unis and another course at the rest of the uni choices?????

Will be grateful for any help :smile:

Yes you can, UCAS doesn't put many restrictions on you, however be aware that you can only send in one personal statement.
Original post by pak1994
Yes you can, UCAS doesn't put many restrictions on you, however be aware that you can only send in one personal statement.

Oh right thanks! But the two courses I want to apply to are optometry and cardiac physiology which are quite different so how would one personal statement work for both?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Oh right thanks! But the two courses I want to apply to are optometry and cardiac physiology which are quite different so how would one personal statement work for both?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm a humanities person, so I can't give you any subject-specific advice...

You may occasionally find a University who'll allow you to submit a substitute personal statement, but they're the minority. I know of some people who've said they've emailed departments to ask if they can, but I don't know whether they've been met with a good reaction- you may be able to find sources online about this?

Thankfully, that was my situation- I applied for a different course at Durham University to all of my others, and was able to submit a substitute personal statement.

Otherwise, I'd advise talking to a form tutor or teacher at your school who might be able to help out!

It's also potentially worth looking around the internet. There are quite a few sources of information on TSR & elsewhere

My common sense would say to try to find similarities between the 2- what are the founding bits of them which appeal to you? Also, it may be worth starting to write your statement earlier than your friends, as it might take a few more re-drafts and more editing as you're attempting a more complex task!

It can be done, though :smile:
Original post by Anny Smiles
I'm a humanities person, so I can't give you any subject-specific advice...

You may occasionally find a University who'll allow you to submit a substitute personal statement, but they're the minority. I know of some people who've said they've emailed departments to ask if they can, but I don't know whether they've been met with a good reaction- you may be able to find sources online about this?

Thankfully, that was my situation- I applied for a different course at Durham University to all of my others, and was able to submit a substitute personal statement.

Otherwise, I'd advise talking to a form tutor or teacher at your school who might be able to help out!

It's also potentially worth looking around the internet. There are quite a few sources of information on TSR & elsewhere

My common sense would say to try to find similarities between the 2- what are the founding bits of them which appeal to you? Also, it may be worth starting to write your statement earlier than your friends, as it might take a few more re-drafts and more editing as you're attempting a more complex task!

It can be done, though :smile:

Oh right! Thank you soo much for the help!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

It wouldn't. You will have to decide which course you want to do in a year's time, so do the research now and make a properly targeted application which will get you offers, instead of a half-hearted attempt which falls between two stools. If you apply for both courses in one ps, then half the statement will be irrelevant to each course, and your application will simply scream lack of commitment.
Original post by carnationlilyrose
It wouldn't. You will have to decide which course you want to do in a year's time, so do the research now and make a properly targeted application which will get you offers, instead of a half-hearted attempt which falls between two stools. If you apply for both courses in one ps, then half the statement will be irrelevant to each course, and your application will simply scream lack of commitment.

Oh thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest