The Student Room Group

Am I being ridiculous?

So there's this girl. I may be getting ahead of myself here but hear me out. We're not a couple, we don't "date" as such but I would like to. We hang out a fair bit, go for walks in the countryside, watch movies, go to bars, all that stuff...except without the whole couple-y touching/kissing and so on. Kind of like Sheldon and Amy.

We've known each other since the start of my uni course and she's wonderful. She's gorgeous, funny, caring, charming, basically the whole package. 10/10. Being soppy is definitely my strong suit.

We're going on holiday soon with her and her friends and I really want to tell her how I feel about her, preferably on the last night of the holiday. However, if things were to develop, I'm having second thoughts about how this would work when we're back at university.

Both of us are extremely hard-working and dedicated to our degree and since this is second year we'll be going into, I'm not sure if a relationship of any kind would be good for our work. I'm really easily distracted as it is, but she's so perfect and lovely it would seem foolish of me to not do something about how I feel.

Has anyone here had any experience like this, e.g had a girlfriend but struggled because of work commitments, or is in second year of uni with a girlfriend?

Thank you :smile:

TL;DR - Do I want to get with a girl when second year of uni is approaching?

Is your course really that difficult that it takes over your entire life?
If you really love her the long distant relationship would work, if it doesn't then it was never meant to be.
Do it man. You both know that you're working so can't spend time with each other, but at least you'll be motivated to finish your work so that you can meet up. It'll also put your mind at ease. Doooo it.
Original post by Anonymous
So there's this girl. I may be getting ahead of myself here but hear me out. We're not a couple, we don't "date" as such but I would like to. We hang out a fair bit, go for walks in the countryside, watch movies, go to bars, all that stuff...except without the whole couple-y touching/kissing and so on. Kind of like Sheldon and Amy.

We've known each other since the start of my uni course and she's wonderful. She's gorgeous, funny, caring, charming, basically the whole package. 10/10. Being soppy is definitely my strong suit.

We're going on holiday soon with her and her friends and I really want to tell her how I feel about her, preferably on the last night of the holiday. However, if things were to develop, I'm having second thoughts about how this would work when we're back at university.

Both of us are extremely hard-working and dedicated to our degree and since this is second year we'll be going into, I'm not sure if a relationship of any kind would be good for our work. I'm really easily distracted as it is, but she's so perfect and lovely it would seem foolish of me to not do something about how I feel.

Has anyone here had any experience like this, e.g had a girlfriend but struggled because of work commitments, or is in second year of uni with a girlfriend?

Thank you :smile:

TL;DR - Do I want to get with a girl when second year of uni is approaching?

In my personal opinion, what you're saying is pretty silly. If you like the girl, go for it, I really don't think there's a better time to have a care-free relationship than when you're at uni. Sure, you have to work hard, but at the same time there's so many opportunities to have a good time, chill out and figure yourself out. When you're on your death bed you won't say, "gee, I wish I'd read more books at uni", you'd say "wish I'd asked out that girl."
Go for it, if you never try you'll never know.
Reply 5
Original post by TheSweatyNerd
If you really love her the long distant relationship would work, if it doesn't then it was never meant to be.

Sorry, I forgot to mention we're on the same course at the same uni :colondollar:
Reply 6
Well what if you get a job one day and you're a hard worker or you have long work hours, so you can't be with any girl ever?

One day, maybe liking people and deciding to stay alone will affect your life and hard work more than having a partner would affect your life.
I say go for it! Or throughout your second year you could be thinking "hey, what if..."

Uni and work are important, but so many people are in relationships whilst they're at uni - there's nothing stopping you from seeing a girl and working, you just need to balance the two. You shouldn't be spending all your time doing work and stuff, so I don't see the problem.
Original post by Anonymous
Sorry, I forgot to mention we're on the same course at the same uni :colondollar:

Then what's the problem? I don't understand... If anything it could be beneficial.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending