The Student Room Group

I haven't declared my diagnosis yet, should I when starting Sixth Form?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Holmstock
Yes, the exams officer sounds a good place to start (and/or the teacher you trust).

Many thanks, you too!

Yes, I trust him a lot and he is good like that. I think I will ask him, although he isn't teaching me next year. Thanks again!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Also, does anyone have experience with DSA?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by dontwantachoose1
Go for it kiddo. Don't let them destatement you either- my sister's got dyslexia and ADD, but she lost out on extra time she really could have done with in a misguided attempt to have her "not treated differently" by teachers etc. It's your education, doesn't matter what toerags like your bio teacher say.

Statements of educational need cease to have any effect after further ed, ie at the end of 6th form.
Original post by Edminzodo
Also, does anyone have experience with DSA?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes, loads, what do want to know?
Original post by balotelli12
Yes, loads, what do want to know?

How does it help you, what does the process involve . . . ? Anything, really, as I will be applying for it next year!
For DSA you apply with medical evidence and if you are eligble you will be asked to go to a needs assessment where they will talk through every area of university and where you will struggle and benefit support. They will then write a report. Once student finance have approved it you can then order the equipment off it and put in place any support you may have such as note takers or one to one study skills support.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Statements of educational need cease to have any effect after further ed, ie at the end of 6th form.

yeah but you can sometimes get extra support at uni, like a laptop for example...
Utter rubbish.
If you refer to a DSA assessment these are completely independent of whether a student has a statement or not.
How does it help you, what does the process involve . . . ? Anything, really, as I will be applying for it next year!

I suggest you read this
https://www.gov.uk/disabled-students-allowances-dsas/overview

TSR Wiki http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Guide_to_the_disabled_students_allowance

It hasn't been updated in a while, though (apart from a minor change I've just made to it) and can do with more information.

There are also the Gov guides already linked to.

Original post by dontwantachoose1
yeah but you can sometimes get extra support at uni, like a laptop for example...

Anyone can apply for Disabled Students Allowance, providing they have a recognised disability or medical condition and study needs, even those who have never been statemented. Whether someones had a statement previously or not is irrelevant.
Utter rubbish.
If you refer to a DSA assessment these are completely independent of whether a student has a statement or not.

Indeed. I was never statemented; but did receive extra support at uni.
I have told the school. They will be writing a profile on me to distribute to my teachers, an 'Education Plan', and I may be able to have rest breaks in long exams due to my short attention span, as I am taking essay subjects. Thanks for your help, everyone!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest