The Student Room Group

Packing for bronze DofE

Hey so I'm going on my DofE bronze expedition next weekend and I'm really struggling with packing my bag. I have this rucksack http://www.cotswoldoutdoor.com/vango-contour-50-10s-rucksack-61110439?id_colour=98 a self inflating air mattress thing (about the same size and half the length of a bed roll when rolled up) and a sleeping bag + all my other stuff, not sure about the tent yet. Anyway so I can't manage to fit my sleeping bag inside my rucksack without it taking up like half the space. Currently I have my mattress in the bottom section with my sleeping bag attached to the outside. Is this okay? Will I get told off for having it on the outside, it's in a completely watertight bag so won't get wet it it rains.
Original post by heyitgeg
Hey so I'm going on my DofE bronze expedition next weekend and I'm really struggling with packing my bag. I have this rucksack http://www.cotswoldoutdoor.com/vango-contour-50-10s-rucksack-61110439?id_colour=98 a self inflating air mattress thing (about the same size and half the length of a bed roll when rolled up) and a sleeping bag + all my other stuff, not sure about the tent yet. Anyway so I can't manage to fit my sleeping bag inside my rucksack without it taking up like half the space. Currently I have my mattress in the bottom section with my sleeping bag attached to the outside. Is this okay? Will I get told off for having it on the outside, it's in a completely watertight bag so won't get wet it it rains.

The usual thing is to put your sleeping bag inside and the mattress/roll mat on the outside. If your roll mat gets slightly wet then it's no big deal. Either don't sue it or use water proof cover between you and it. If your sleeping bag gets wet then you're in for a very crappy night.

What sleeping bag do you have? If it's too big look into buying a smaller one.
Reply 2
It's a normal sized sleeping bag, probably a bit smaller actually, but my bed roll fold up so small that there's no point putting it on the outside when it fits inside no problem ygm
It's a normal sized sleeping bag, probably a bit smaller actually, but my bed roll fold up so small that there's no point putting it on the outside when it fits inside no problem ygm

I would get your sleeping bag. 100%. It's the main prioirity tbh to keep dry.

If you can fit spare clothes+ sleeping bag+ clothes in then it's fine. If not put the rollmat out. It's only a 50litre rucksack which is a bit small so you may struggle getting it all inside.
Awwwww Bronze lol

Have fun :biggrin: If you have any other questions (seems like the others have answered your question) you can PM me. Finished Gold a while ago now
Reply 6
Not the best idea to leave it out but if you're sure it'll stay dry if it rains then should be fine.
Reply 7

No, put the mat on the outside, bag inside. Fold the roll mat up differently so that it's the 'same size' as a normal roll mat and put the sleeping bag on the inside. The sleeping bag is heavier, so you'll want that closer to your spine. Might not seem like it'll make a difference, but after 15 miles you'll be surprised.

Having the roll mat on the outside also means that when you stop you can easily take it off and use it as a seat, rather than having to unpack half your bag.
Reply 9
I had to get 50l because I'm only 5,2" and the 60l was waaay too big
Reply 10
I had to get 50l because I'm only 5,2" and the 60l was waaay too big

The best thing to do with a rollmat is to put it on the outside of your rucksack, vertically - not horizontally - either at the side or back. Use bungees.

Also, one reason that sleeping bags take up so much room is because people use the bags they come with. Unless it really compresses down small, it may be better to not use the compression sack at all, and just stuff it into the bottom section, using up the available space, rather than leaving empty nooks and crannies.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 11
if anyone has any other tips for packing or just in general that would be really helpful :smile:
I missed the day walk bc I had a fractured ankle but I've done similar stuff guides before

Posted from TSR Mobile
if anyone has any other tips for packing or just in general that would be really helpful :smile:
I missed the day walk bc I had a fractured ankle but I've done similar stuff guides before

Posted from TSR Mobile

My tips are that you pack the heaviest things at the bottom (sleeping bag,tent,trangia,etc) then clothes and then food at the top because you don't want to crush it. Also take TONS of plastic bags to put your dirty clothes in. If you want anymore tips feel free to ask.

Quick Reply

Latest