The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Ran out of time. Lost at least 20 marks. Horrible paper. WJEC is a pile of ****. Shame!
For the control rod question, did you have to talk about absorbing neutrons or high melting point? Or was both ok?
I hated it! Actually wanted to cry half way through, the case study questions were a joke and obviously I hadn't revised projectile motion, felt so crap coming out haha. Nuclear energy and radioactivity questions were okay I guess but the b-fields and emf questions were hard :-( I'm just praying I still manage to get an A overall even after this **** exam. How did every else find it??
Reply 23
Original post by underlyinggirl
I hated it! Actually wanted to cry half way through, the case study questions were a joke and obviously I hadn't revised projectile motion, felt so crap coming out haha. Nuclear energy and radioactivity questions were okay I guess but the b-fields and emf questions were hard :-( I'm just praying I still manage to get an A overall even after this **** exam. How did every else find it??

Horrible.
Not to sound big headed but I've never done a PH5 paper before and come across a question and thought '**** dunno how to answer this' - my errors are almost always silly numerical errors or errors from misreading the questions.

But ****ing hell that case study.
The case study was awful.
Plus they were very tricksy in section A in some places - I know I lost 3 marks about the capacitors being pulled apart.
Reply 24
I honestly didn't find it so bad, I was able to understand every question well and managed to get something half decent down. Shame about the 12v RMS on the graph, I didn't spot that either and I spent a good amount of time plotted that accurately!

I had gone through the case study well in advance and understand most of the questions although one or two I completely tripped up on. I chose to do A.C Theory and found that relatively straight forward, simple calculations.

I hadn't seen the question about what properties should the Control Rods, Moderator etc.. should have in a past paper before so that tripped me up. I made up anything. Most said the coolant needed a high boiling point yet I put it needed a high heat capacity. Would that be correct?

Looking back at the questions It seems I've tripped up on more things than I had thought...

ohhh.. damn. And the acceleration question didn't realise it was suvat! errr..

Are you sure it was suvat? I didn't use suvat, instead a=vq/md (I think) and I got the right answer?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by LiamRC
I honestly didn't find it so bad, I was able to understand every question well and managed to get something half decent down. Shame about the 12v RMS on the graph, I didn't spot that either and I spent a good amount of time plotted that accurately!

I had gone through the case study well in advance and understand most of the questions although one or two I completely tripped up on. I chose to do A.C Theory and found that relatively straight forward, simple calculations.

I hadn't seen the question about what properties should the Control Rods, Moderator etc.. should have in a past paper before so that tripped me up. I made up anything. Most said the coolant needed a high boiling point yet I put it needed a high heat capacity. Would that be correct?

Looking back at the questions It seems I've tripped up on more things than I had thought...

Are you sure it was suvat? I didn't use suvat, instead a=vq/md (I think) and I got the right answer?

yep apparently it was suvat. I writ the equation a=vq/md down but didn't get how to use the equation! what was the mass?
Reply 26
Original post by imconfused
yep apparently it was suvat. I writ the equation a=vq/md down but didn't get how to use the equation! what was the mass?

It was an electron if I remember correctly? So the mass of an electron?

I suppose either way would of worked because I got exactly the right answer.
I'll be very grateful if someone can post the paper haha!
Original post by LiamRC

high specific heat capacitor should be fine! For that question, the control rods, did you need to talk about the fact their property is they absorb neutrons? Or did you have to say a property if the rods require a high melting point
Reply 29
Original post by hywel12345
high specific heat capacitor should be fine! For that question, the control rods, did you need to talk about the fact their property is they absorb neutrons? Or did you have to say a property if the rods require a high melting point

I just put High Heat Capacity, completely forgot about specific..

I just put that they needed to absorb neutrons? Like I said I couldn't think of a better answer so I put any answer down.
Original post by LiamRC

I just put that they needed to absorb neutrons? Like I said I couldn't think of a better answer so I put any answer down.

Surely absorb neutrons has got to be an answer, high melting point seems a bit vague to be.
Definitely the worst PH5 paper I've seen. Just about finished, but I didn't have time to do figure out the phasor one on the AC theory section :/ anyone want to explain it? I felt the electromagnetic induction and capacitor questions were quite different but I think I figured them out. The case study questions were awful in some places. What did people put for the cold star one? And the assumption for the calculation about the planet? (the with the mass of 0.32Msun if I remember correctly)

Hopefully the grade boundaries will be fairly generous
Original post by LiamRC

I went with high heat capacity. I think water's used as a coolant and it doesn't have a particularly high boiling point plus if you reach the boiling point, you're probably not using a good enough coolant anyway. That was my reasoning at least.

For control rods I said needs to absorb neutrons
And for moderator needs to slow neutrons
Wasn't 100% happy with this but not sure how else you could describe 'properties' to say this?
Reply 33
Original post by theshinnbin
I went with high heat capacity. I think water's used as a coolant and it doesn't have a particularly high boiling point plus if you reach the boiling point, you're probably not using a good enough coolant anyway. That was my reasoning at least.

For control rods I said needs to absorb neutrons
And for moderator needs to slow neutrons
Wasn't 100% happy with this but not sure how else you could describe 'properties' to say this?

Not really much more you could've said in 2 lines
What do people will think the grade boundaries will be? I hope I can get an A* as that's what I've been on for but I'm not sure after that :/
Wtf was that. Ended my exams on a mind numbing low point. Came out of it and felt violated. Maybe it would be better to withdraw my uni application now and save the embarrassment of being rejected in August. Humph 😩

Posted from TSR Mobile
omg! my brain froze and errrr... if you don't mind me asking did they give us q? (cant remember the question now)

As an electron, q=e=1.6*10^(-19)

or if you mean q as the charge on the capacitor, I think that was one of the previous questions
(edited 9 years ago)
As an electron, q=e=1.6*10^(-19)

no I meant did they state it in the question, I guess not. I could've actually done that question..
no I meant did they state it in the question, I guess not. I could've actually done that question..

I don't think so but the charge on an electron is on the front of the data sheet. Yeah, I found questions like that looking back over things :/
Reply 39
I don't think so but the charge on an electron is on the front of the data sheet. Yeah, I found questions like that looking back over things :/

The charge of an electron is rarely stated and should be identified from the question, questions like this are quite frequent in past papers.

Latest

Trending

Trending