The Student Room Group

Should an aspiring journalist study journalism?

My writing has always been at a solid standard thanks to experience running a column on a blog for the past 8 months. I'm going into my second year of Sixth Form in September (studying English, Economics and Politics) and wondered whether studying Journalism at University would be more logical than topics I am extremely interested in writing about: International Relations or War Studies, which are run by King's College London.
Original post by JViking
My writing has always been at a solid standard thanks to experience running a column on a blog for the past 8 months. I'm going into my second year of Sixth Form in September (studying English, Economics and Politics) and wondered whether studying Journalism at University would be more logical than topics I am extremely interested in writing about: International Relations or War Studies, which are run by King's College London.

No. The usual advice is to become an expert in a subject, then write about it. Take a look at the National Council For The Training Of Journalists:
http://www.nctj.com/
No, and thrice No. Not as a first degree, NO.

The only way you will learn how to write is by writing, and the only way you will learn how to think clearly at an advanced level is by doing a degree in a subject that demands thought, analysis, argument etc. If you look at the careers of leading journos, they did degrees in English, Politics, History etc - not 'journalism'.

These silly first degrees are a cynical attempt by lower Unis to to exploit the parental/student fixation on perceived job chances - what looks vocational will always attract those who havn't got a clue what journalism actually is, rather than a degree in Humanities or Social Science. It makes money for tail end Unis, and it employs ex-journos whose careers have stalled.

If you want to be taken seriously, don't touch any of these 'courses' - do a degree in a sensible traditional subject and write/blog like crazy while you are at Uni.
I would like to add my weight to the above opinions. I was a journalist for more than 20 years and most of the people I worked with studied journalism only as postgraduates.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending