The Student Room Group

New Edexcel mathematics GCSE

EDIT: This is an old thread! Find the 2017 Edexcel GCSE discussion here.

Hi all,

The draft specimen papers for the new Edexcel mathematics GCSEs have been released and I thought you might like to take a look. The increase in demand (particularly at Foundation) is significant. First teaching is September 2015 for examination in June 2017.

Mr M

Scroll to see replies

Hmm...
Original post by Mr M
Hi all,

The draft specimen papers for the new Edexcel mathematics GCSEs have been released and I thought you might like to take a look. The increase in demand (particularly at Foundation) is significant. First teaching is September 2015 for examination in June 2017.

Mr M

Does this mean they are making the papers harder or...?
Original post by Mr M
Hi all,

Mr M

I am wondering if a suitable quote from HHGTTG would suffice for 4(d) on the first paper :s-smilie:
Original post by TenOfThem

I haven't really read them properly but 2b on Foundation Paper 3 caught my eye.

The reciprocal of 0.4 is equal to 2.15 + n. Find n.

I've never met a Foundation student who would have a clue about how to approach that.
Original post by German123
Does this mean they are making the papers harder or...?

Yes. The new GCSEs are quite a lot more difficult than the current ones.
Reply 6
Why (oh why) does it have to be one qualification?

I have heard it said that it would be politically unacceptable to have two qualifications, one numeracy and maths

I'm not sure why though. If a pass in numeracy were to be a prerequisite for doing maths then no one could claim to be unfairly excluded from studying the better qualification and the maths qualification could be optional and tough as you like.

I know it's not going to happen. :frown:
Original post by Mr M
I haven't really read them properly but 2b on Foundation Paper 3 caught my eye.

The reciprocal of 0.4 is equal to 2.15 + n. Find n.

I've never met a Foundation student who would have a clue about how to approach that.

I am thinking of current B grade Highers who would struggle

TBH I am thinking of a couple of AS students who would
I can really see schools switching to International GCSE / Edexcel Certificate.
Original post by danconway
I can really see schools switching to International GCSE / Edexcel Certificate.

They can't. Only these GCSEs will count for Performance Table purposes.
Original post by Mr M

Aha and performance tables are everything, right? Ah, well it seems that we'll either make kids better at maths or just get worse results. Hopefully the former.
Aha and performance tables are everything, right?

More than everything.
Original post by Mr M
Hi all,

Mr M

Can not even click the link, but does that mean they are making the paper harder, (why not just increase the grade boundaries, when I did my GCSE Maths, edexcel it was 120/200 for an A).
Original post by 96jaimin96
Can not even click the link, but does that mean they are making the paper harder, (why not just increase the grade boundaries, when I did my GCSE Maths, edexcel it was 120/200 for an A).

Ministers visited Singapore and decided the content wasn't sufficiently rigorous.
Original post by TenOfThem
I am thinking of current B grade Highers who would struggle

TBH I am thinking of a couple of AS students who would

Forget that, have you looked at their higher tier maths paper? It looked like an AS Maths exam (had mechanics and C1 modules). Even I found that paper quite challenging and I'm predicted getting A in AS Maths.
Original post by Mr M
Yes. The new GCSEs are quite a lot more difficult than the current ones.

But why are they doing this?:s-smilie:

Is it just the edexcel or other exam board too across the country?
Reply 16
Original post by Mr M

Are you sure the Edexcel Certificate doesn't count? I thought that was changed when it was introduced in 2012.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by German123
But why are they doing this?:s-smilie:

Is it just the edexcel or other exam board too across the country?

Every exam board. The government have made the exam boards offer these tougher GCSEs in England so all GCSE Maths (and English) specs are changing AQA, OCR and a new English version of WJEC (Eduqas) are doing this as well.
Every exam board. The government have made the exam boards offer these tougher GCSEs in England so all GCSE Maths (and English) specs are changing AQA, OCR and a new English version of WJEC (Eduqas) are doing this as well.

]

OH no... guess i will have to work harder for maths then.
I dont understand why the foundation paper is harder as the highest grade you can get is a C form studying graded G-C. What the Government is doing is preety out of orer...

Quick Reply

Latest