The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Yeah that jew goal is the best goal I've seen us score.

Wish it was Willian to Torres though for him to score a tap in and celebrate in front of the Kop. Beautiful absolutely beautiful.
Original post by jam277
Yeah that jew goal is the best goal I've seen us score.

Wish it was Willian to Torres though for him to score a tap in and celebrate in front of the Kop. Beautiful absolutely beautiful.

Original post by jam277
Bertrand will not be recalled as his option to buy is 10M. He's easily justified his fee so far so we've basically made a profit on a youngster we brought up I guess. He's not really the answer considering we have Filipe who can do that role and better anyway. Guy puts in great crosses but his attacking quality wasn't fully put to use at Atlético.

That's the thing, it would nice for us to use a player who partially came through the academy and help with the homegrown rule. It would be a nice statement from the club if anything. It would also encourage us to use Azpi on the right and reinforce our defensive options. Need to start using Azpi and Felipe like Zab and Kolarov to provide width not given by our AMs. Then we'll have 4 CBs to rotate, because Terry is only getting older and Felipe is also 29, Ivan is 29. Not sure if selling Bertrand would be a sensible option, he's worth more than £10m given how inflated english players are.
Original post by Fizzel
Its protection. If you say we're the favourites and we're going to win, then don't its difficult, if you spend all season downplaying expectation you're safe regardless of the outcome.

I fully understand why Jose does it, I don't understand why his fans feel the need to replicate it. If Chelsea fail, its Jose's failure, that's why he need to downplay.

Jose's always pretty good with managing pressure on his team. He'll use this until he wins a title or something, and the downplaying become unsustainable then you'll see the siege mentality of conspiracy with referees and media come out.

Yeah I agree, meant to say that but forgot Lel. Jose is a master of managing his teams, particularly in the media. There's no benefit to fans doing it, then they'll be out in force May 2015 barking some **** about how they've won against all the odds, Atléti MkII, brb let's make a movie called the Underdogs nonsense.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by IceJJFish(II)
Yeah I agree, meant to say that but forgot Lel. Jose is a master of managing his teams, particularly in the media. There's no benefit to fans doing it, then they'll be out in force May 2015 barking some **** about how they've won against all the odds, Atléti MkII, brb let's make a movie called the Underdogs nonsense.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Guess you could apply a similar mentality about getting beaten by Newcastle, except it was the media hyping up an unbeaten season as opposed to Chelsea fans and especially Mourinho. Nowhere did I see him or any of our players say we could do it, yet all that afternoon I had Arsenal fans taking the piss out of him - even when they were losing 3-0 to Stoke.
Original post by The Shed End
Guess you could apply a similar mentality about getting beaten by Newcastle, except it was the media hyping up an unbeaten season as opposed to Chelsea fans and especially Mourinho. Nowhere did I see him or any of our players say we could do it, yet all that afternoon I had Arsenal fans taking the piss out of him - even when they were losing 3-0 to Stoke.

Yeah true. Can see why you do it tbf, media have a clear agenda against Chelsea. Arsenal fans are so butthurt it's unreal. Top club, top fans if I'm honest, maybe the best in the league.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah true. Can see why you do it tbf, media have a clear agenda against Chelsea. Arsenal fans are so butthurt it's unreal. Top club, top fans if I'm honest, maybe the best in the league.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Chelsea? Surely you can't be on about Arsenal? :redface:

I wouldn't say we're top. As a fanbase I think we're up there, especially away but we have this stigma put on us by Arsenal and Liverpool fans because they're pretty envious and think they should be in our shoes; I'd say Palace have the best support in the league - far closer to the likes of Dortmund etc than any other team in the country.

As a club all-round I'd say Everton are the best run. Good stability, proper old-fashioned English ground and they have a academy fairly good academy who they actually use. Southampton not far behind either. I'm biased but I do think Chelsea are becoming slightly more likeable to other fans though certainly compared to when we were winning around 2005-2006.
Chelsea? Surely you can't be on about Arsenal? :redface:

I wouldn't say we're top. As a fanbase I think we're up there, especially away but we have this stigma put on us by Arsenal and Liverpool fans because they're pretty envious and think they should be in our shoes; I'd say Palace have the best support in the league - far closer to the likes of Dortmund etc than any other team in the country.

As a club all-round I'd say Everton are the best run. Good stability, proper old-fashioned English ground and they have a academy fairly good academy who they actually use. Southampton not far behind either. I'm biased but I do think Chelsea are becoming slightly more likeable to other fans though certainly compared to when we were winning around 2005-2006.

Yeah lol meant Chelsea, don't start me on Arsenal fans...

Yeah I suppose so, Haven't really seen many clubs nowadays as last time I had season ticket was 08-09 ish but your away support was next to nothing. Certainly out of top clubs you're up there with United fans.

You're run well tbh. City are just pricks, and youth academy you have actually produces talent. Also English players actually get a chance, tbh I've always liked you even in Jose days. Agree with Everton and Southampton, I like Burnley as well, been to Turf Moor and it's a proper ground, and they work hard which I like to see.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Even if they don't make it at Chelsea we've had a fair few players make it in the PL at other teams, ironically it's the likes of Liverpool and City who have screwed them up rather than us, ie/ Borini and Sinclair to name two.
Even if they don't make it at Chelsea we've had a fair few players make it in the PL at other teams, ironically it's the likes of Liverpool and City who have screwed them up rather than us, ie/ Borini and Sinclair to name two.

McEachran, Chalobah, Loftus-Cheek to name a few. Also a lot of player who have been developed into starts, Azpi and Ivanovic to name a few.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jam277
Yes I agree but you can clearly see that Chelsea's model is to build for the future by signing young players with potential.

I'm trying to be holistic and objective in my views of this situation without bias.

That's a load of horse ****.

Chelsea's model is to buy as many "promising" players and see which stick to the wall when they are all thrown - whether they develop in the Chelsea youth team, on loan at other premier league clubs or Chelsea FC MK II (Vitesse). Chelsea don't care if they develop or not - happy for one to succeed even if 9 others fail.

After that, you still either buy players in their peak (Fabregs, Costa, Filipe Luis) or you buy promising players for high fees who are already good enough to play but still have some further potential (like Hazard).
Original post by Isometrix
Ivan is 29.
Ivan is 30.
Original post by Zerforax

Having said that you should of realised by then what he was trying to do
Well the United and Arsenal fans were my mates so it was a little different to some nonces on Twitter. DGAF what these "football banter" pages on Twitter say anymore tbh, used to get so wound up by them which is pathetic tbh.

Anyway this United fan is from Coventry and doesn't even watch United matches anyway (especially not last season), the Arsenal fan is pretty deluded tbh and thinks it beneath Arsenal to resort to such low tactics to simply win a game, think he's finally starting to see past the Wenger facade this year anyway.

And tbh I've caught a few Bayern games on BT Sport this year, and each time it's utterly dull. I know neutrals aren't going to see it like we do during a big game where we park the bus but for me it's genuinely exciting (if not heart-attack inducing) to see if we can hold off the likes of Liverpool and Barca away. I reckon Jose would secretly have loved to have wrecked Liverpool's title chances last season, I think he's even said they wanted to be the clown's that recked Liverpool's (title) party.

The Liverpool game last season felt pretty long, but the sheer excstasy when you see Ba slot it under the keeper at the Kop end, or Torres jew it to Willian in the last minute makes the 90 minutes worth it imo.

Twitter is a **** hole. You'd think it was bad enough on this forum that people who hardly know anything about the sport want to pretend like they know what they're talking about but then Twitter takes that to another level?

Bayern Munich are very dull to watch yes, credit to Pep. I don't really mention them though because I only watch them in their CL games, otherwise I have no interest of the Bundesliga. It's only natural you'd enjoy watching your team though, but I wouldn't say neutrals find it as entertaining for obvious reasons. I'm the same tbh, I remember last season watching Arsenal vs UTD/Chelsea at the Emirates, thought both games were very tense and nerve racking. Turns out the game vs UTD was dross and lack luster but I didn't see this at the time.
The Liverpool game was only 'worth it' as you say, because of what was at stake though, not because of the actual play involved. Same point to be said about the "jew Goal" ( :lol: )
Original post by AR_95

Just lol at anything you disagree with resulting in you branding said poster a troll.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Just lol at anything you disagree with resulting in you branding said poster a troll.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Except Jam said he agreed with me?

You try way too hard man
Original post by AR_95

You try way too hard man

It's a generalised statement. I've noticed you do it a lot and it's poor tbh.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4157
Original post by AR_95

You try way too hard man

It's a generalised statement. I've noticed you do it a lot and it's poor tbh.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You're both embarrassing yourselves.
Reply 4158
Original post by AR_95
Go away

dbi

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well if you look at our net spend we have won against the odds.

Original post by Zerforax

Chelsea's model is to buy as many "promising" players and see which stick to the wall when they are all thrown - whether they develop in the Chelsea youth team, on loan at other premier league clubs or Chelsea FC MK II (Vitesse). Chelsea don't care if they develop or not - happy for one to succeed even if 9 others fail.

After that, you still either buy players in their peak (Fabregs, Costa, Filipe Luis) or you buy promising players for high fees who are already good enough to play but still have some further potential (like Hazard).

Not really, we buy young players for the future, Oscar, Hazard, Schurrle, Willian, Costa, Azpilicueta, Matic all young players who we've bought(25 or under at the time of buying them). Liverpool e.g. buy Toure and Lambert who are 26 and over and loan out Aly Cisohko. In that same time period we bought Filipe at the age of 29 and that's it so get off your high horse.

Just because it actually works unlike other teams(I think you know who I am referring to) doesn't mean that it doesn't work.

Don't hate us cos we're beautiful.
Original post by AR_95

Explain what I am trying to do?
(edited 9 years ago)

Latest