The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

That's true I've said the same thing wrt fixtures just think that we may drop a few more points. I hope Man City beat Barcelona personally just so they can suffer from fixture congestion.
can somebody explain this to me, i'm not sure how many people here read pat nevin's column on the Chelsea site but this is ridiculous. There is always a quiz question at the end and last week it was who was the last Chelsea player to score on his full (i.e starting the game) debut. The winner was kurt zouma even though costa was another option but he said it was too early in the season. WHAT THE **** DOES THAT MATTER.
Because Zouma was the last Chelsea player to score on his full debut? :lolwut:
(edited 9 years ago)
i don't think something so simple warranted a response.
This current Chelsea squad is better suited to winning the CL than the BPL.
If Mourinho can find another Maticesque player to partner Matic in midfield this team would be set for a good few years.
Luiz and Matic combination could have been so deadly...
Original post by Adam171014
This current Chelsea squad is better suited to winning the CL than the BPL.
If Mourinho can find another Maticesque player to partner Matic in midfield this team would be set for a good few years.
Luiz and Matic combination could have been so deadly...

It was, but when you get offerred £50 million for a defender who cant defend you take that money and run. Hopefully we get Khedira, think that would be a coup for us getting him ahead of Bayern and on a free.
Can see why Khedira would be great on a free but would like a player who can play, reckon we'll still have problems breaking park bus teams down. Real improved loads in that respect under Ancelotti simply because they replaced Khedira with Modric.

We get a all purpose midfielder with energy(a gundogan or Lampard/Ballack of 2005) and I think we should be set. We never replaced Ballack, Fabregas only partially replaces him although Lampard has been replaced by Oscar.

Don't think Khedira is that marked an improvement on Ramires, he'd love it in those games vs Arsenal at the bridge when they overcommit but then so does Ramires and Ramires has more pace. Not Ramires' biggest fan either but it's a more sideways swap getting Khedira than it is getting Gundogan and going for a right winger. Shoulda gone for Griezmann in the summer.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Nickini
Because Zouma was the last Chelsea player to score on his full debut? :lolwut:

yeah sorry guys, i did realize my mistake last night but by that time it was posted. misread the question is all
Original post by jam277
Can see why Khedira would be great on a free but would like a player who can play, reckon we'll still have problems breaking park bus teams down. Real improved loads in that respect under Ancelotti simply because they replaced Khedira with Modric.

We get a all purpose midfielder with energy(a gundogan or Lampard/Ballack of 2005) and I think we should be set. We never replaced Ballack, Fabregas only partially replaces him although Lampard has been replaced by Oscar.

Don't think Khedira is that marked an improvement on Ramires, he'd love it in those games vs Arsenal at the bridge when they overcommit but then so does Ramires and Ramires has more pace. Not Ramires' biggest fan either but it's a more sideways swap getting Khedira than it is getting Gundogan and going for a right winger. Shoulda gone for Griezmann in the summer.

How would you feel about Cuadrado then? Or Sven/Lars Bender, certainly an improvement over Mikel and we end up keeping Ramires. Personally I'd love to have Pogba, but I can't see us risking not making FFP for him.

Would say this is the first time for a long time that I cant see where we have a clear weakness. Obviously RW ie the standout one though.
Original post by TheInvincibles14
Little to no chance of Cesc joining Chelski. Ex AFC captain joining a team managed by Mourinho, not to mention his previous history with the Carling Cup final. Would say more chance of him going to United with the Spanish man there + could hit off things with RVP once again. Basically what I'm trying to say is if Wenger doesn't want him he'll be a City player, which would essentially wrap up the league for them, therefore if AFC have any sense we'll take him back, even though he'd be a luxury.

Haha

Posted from TSR Mobile
Just imagine Matic and Pogba holding midfield together. If Willian can tidy up his end product and Schurrle can become more consistent we wouldn't need any other signings. We've got enough talent in loaned players/youth team to use if required. Spending 50-60 million on one signing in Pogba in one window shouldn't result in FFP broken.
Also, the pool of youth + loaned players could also be used to counter FFP by selling them off to make room for more purchases but when that pool of players finishes we won't be able to compete with Madrid/Barcelona/United. But hopefully by then FFP will be scrapped...
We'll just buy more talented youngsters for cheap to sell so it's not a problem.
Original post by jam277
That makes no sense because Liverpool United and Arsenal will be fighting for top 4 and we struggled with the teams that were lower midtable the actual relegation candidates we beat them home and away.

Newcastle, Palace, Stoke, West Ham, Villa and Sunderland were between 9-15 last season. At the time the relegation battle is usually very deep with about 10 teams involved so it's lazy to just use that excuse. Matter of fact is that Chelsea bottled it and suffered from fatigue being in the CL and the PL at the same time. Liverpool had no europe and City only were playing domestic football in the final 2 months, add to that City's squad are stronger than Chelsea's and were much stronger last season. That's why Chelsea came 3rd.

So Mourinho should learn from this and rotate the squad better, he makes up for it by playing conservative football whenever his team is 2-0 up so the players take a breather and we have better players now but will it be enough I don't think so.

What are you on about? Sunderland were bottom of the table when they beat us at Stamford Bridge. West Ham were 18th when they drew 0-0 against us at Stamford Bridge. Aston Villa were 12th when they beat us 1-0 at Villa Park, 6 points clear of the relegation zone, which obviously means they were still in danger. Palace were 17th at the time they beat us at Selhurst Park.

Stoke beat us in December, so that's rather pointless to talk about, seeing as the real relegation battle takes place after the new year. But even then, Stoke were only 1 point off the relegation zone at the time? So of course they were thinking about survival, and they also had the usual mentality of upping their game when they play the big boys.

I don't think it was fatigue at all, I think it was just a lack of creativity and width, as well as having a **** striker up front that made us lose these sort of games. Unfortunately City have creativity in Silva, width in Navas, Zabaleta and Kolarov, and a clinical striker in Aguero. We just have to hope they have an off-day like when they played against West Ham.
I'm on about the relegation battle being scrappy and having about 10 teams in the battle.

Doesn't matter about where they were at the time it matters more about where they come end of season, otherwise Liverpool were facing relegation contenders in Newcastle and we drew to a midtable Manchester City and Manchester United side when that clearly isn't the reflective strength of the respective teams.

It was clearly fatigue. City had a good run at the end of the season as well as Liverpool while Chelsea didn't because we had CL commitments, those two didn't go into extended CL runs.

That's all I have to say on this matter.

Merry Christmas gus.
(edited 9 years ago)
Anyways, guys...January transfer window is coming up, who do you want us to buy/sell?

I personally just want Chelsea to sell Mikel (£12m+ maybe) and buy an upgrade. Someone who has the power and strength but also have the technical ability to keep possession of the ball for long periods in the big games (something we just can't do). We essentially need a Yaya Toure/Pogba type player, but they don't have to be tall. Just as long as they can put their foot in and bulk up the midfield. I would prefer someone who is old/experienced, and doesn't mind sitting on the bench. Jam has mentioned Tiago a lot, but I think he starts for Atletico in all their games, so it's highly unlikely he would be happy to sit on the bench at Chelsea. He's also cup-tied in CL, which doesn't help. Any suggestions?
Gundogan and we're unlikely to really get anybody better in the Jan transfer window. Khedira another option. Don't really care about being cup tied as our squad is good enough to go the CL semis/final without that midfielder. We had no Matic there e.g. and still beat PSG.

Tiago I wanted in the summer because he was free but obviously that ship has sailed. Khedira an option if Real want value for him.

Wish we went for Alonso to take Mikel's place.
Mou first place at Christmas and eventually won the title:
Porto x2
Inter x2
Chelsea x2
Real Madrid x1

Also Torres looking to go to Atletico.
Original post by jam277
Gundogan

From the last game I saw him play he did pass fast and aided counter attacks but possession was often lost in the attacking third.

I'd like Aubemeyang for RW.
Thoughts on tomorrow's game?

Hazard is unlikely to play so that will make it harder for the Blues. I sense a draw. I see West Ham scoring at least one goal tomorrow. Carroll and Sakho are two good strikers. Downing has played alright and Song, Kouyate will defend well imo
We've won every game at the bridge this season in the prem. People need to stop sleeping on JMs home record. Guys lost 3 home games in 12 years.

Latest