The Student Room Group

History or Religious Studies at A-level?

I want to take a humanities to compliment my sciences, I enjoy both. How hard are they and which one is better? Thanks :smile:
Original post by FatmanO
I want to take a humanities to compliment my sciences, I enjoy both. How hard are they and which one is better? Thanks :smile:

It's really only you who can decide. :smile: I think it's a really good idea to do a humanity with your sciences, though. It should give you a much more well- rounded perspective on things.

Do you know what you want to study at university?

It's hard to say which one is better, really.

:smile:
Both are conventional, traditional subjects. Neither is 'better' than the other.
Choose the one you think you will enjoy the most as that will probably result in the better grade.
Religious Studies is not a traditional subject. However History is.

In doing both at AS (having not doing both at GCSE) it was a new, nice experience for me. I think it really depends on what you like. I ended up dropping history just simply because it was too narrow and only focused on certain someone (Mussolini) which to me, was not History. RS, was way more varied. I'd say History had way more content, but RS was more varied, thus being more entertaining to actually study. I still don't get half the stuff I learned at AS, and hardly understanding ANYTHING in A2, but I think it's far much more interesting than History.

Just depends on what you like to be honest. I'm sure your college or sixth form will have an induction day (usually in July) to give you a "taste" on what you shall be studying. If you don't get the chance to choose the subjects you want to be in, then come Sept you should have an allowance for up to 3 weeks to swap and pick your A-levels.
Original post by The Empire Odyssey
Religious Studies is not a traditional subject. However History is.

In doing both at AS (having not doing both at GCSE) it was a new, nice experience for me. I think it really depends on what you like. I ended up dropping history just simply because it was too narrow and only focused on certain someone (Mussolini) which to me, was not History. RS, was way more varied. I'd say History had way more content, but RS was more varied, thus being more entertaining to actually study. I still don't get half the stuff I learned at AS, and hardly understanding ANYTHING in A2, but I think it's far much more interesting than History.

Just depends on what you like to be honest. I'm sure your college or sixth form will have an induction day (usually in July) to give you a "taste" on what you shall be studying. If you don't get the chance to choose the subjects you want to be in, then come Sept you should have an allowance for up to 3 weeks to swap and pick your A-levels.

What exam board are you doing religious studies on?
Original post by cheeriosarenice
What exam board are you doing religious studies on?

I finished my A-levels in June. However, I was on OCR
Reply 6
Original post by The Empire Odyssey
I finished my A-levels in June. However, I was on OCR

I chose religious studies :biggrin: what di you get
Reply 7
I would say both are equal, history probably a little higher. I do history, and I love history, its undeniably my favourite subject. RS is also interesting! Its really up to you. Sadly my college only offers 'Islamic Studies' and thats what put me off, not because I'm Islamaphobic. But because I don't like being restricted to one. Looking at it, that would have been a superb correlation with History (Crusaders)
Reply 8
I do both History and Religious Studies (Philosophy) and while History is my favourite subject (want to do it at uni), I must say I find Religious Studies really interesting and probably overall a little easier than History, but it's personal preference so you should decide.
(edited 9 years ago)
History :biggrin:
Bit go with religious studies if you have a huge interest in it.
Choice is dependent on you, not us people on TSR.
Original post by FatmanO
I chose religious studies :biggrin: what di you get

It was my hardest, most hated subject but somehow I managed to get a B!

Quick Reply

Latest