The Student Room Group

The Bartlett 2014 Hidden Spaces; Architectural Gems summer school

Hi there, I was just wondering as to whether there's anyone on this site who's applied to the 2014 bartlett summer school falling under the widening participation programme? I've applied and managed to get a place, having handed in my final application last week. So excited and just want to know who else will be joining, and also, if anyone else has participated in this type of summer school already, what was it like for you? :smile: thanks!
Reply 1
Original post by nairline
Hi there, I was just wondering as to whether there's anyone on this site who's applied to the 2014 bartlett summer school falling under the widening participation programme? I've applied and managed to get a place, having handed in my final application last week. So excited and just want to know who else will be joining, and also, if anyone else has participated in this type of summer school already, what was it like for you? :smile: thanks!

Hi,
My names is Dominiq and I will be taking part at the Bartlett school of architecture summer school! I'm looking forward to it just as much as you! Are you currently writing A-levels?
Reply 2
Original post by DominiqO
Hi,
My names is Dominiq and I will be taking part at the Bartlett school of architecture summer school! I'm looking forward to it just as much as you! Are you currently writing A-levels?

Hey nice to hear from you ! :smile: my names Sabrah .. and yes I'm currently studying in my first year of a levels . That's cool - is this the hidden spaces bartlett Summer school programme you're on? Are u also doing a levels?
Just saw this and thought I'd pitch in! I went to the summer school in August 2013 and it was really fun! The tutors are so enthusiastic and they really push you, the fellow students were all roughly the same age as me (17,18,19) and we had a blast! However be warned, it is an intense 2 weeks, and the tutors are equally as competitive as the students when it comes to working on the projects so be ready to REALLY push yourself.

Before I started the course I expected everyday to consist of structured workshops and lectures however this wasn't the case. That said, we did go on various tours/ site visits which broke things up nicely and got us out of the studio. In my group, (the total number of people who attended were divided into 3 groups of 20ish, which were then divided into roughly 3 teams of six), we had to come up with our own direction for the project and along with the tutors build everything using materials etc provided in the workshop.

The course may officially finish at 5 every evening but (as like in the real world) we stayed as late as possible in the studios in order to get the projects finished in time for the critiques. The day before my teams critique we got in early at 8:30-9:00am and didn't leave til about 10:45pm! So if you're lazy, not that motivated, and don't enjoy working as a team then this isn't the course for you, and you should possibly consider a different career lol

This can sound quite daunting but if you are curious to sample the Bartlett way of thinking, aswell as the intense work ethic it instills then this course is perfect. Believe me, if you put the time and effort in, you will get so much out! Having finished the course I have made great friends, made important contacts, developed my team work skills significantly and glimpsed a unique way of developing ideas that is definitely going to stay with me!

All in all, I'd say the skills which i gained, and thought processes i developed during the course had a big impact on me when came back to school in September to start my A2 level art & design projects. My work stepped up a level, my portfolio improved and since then I have been lucky enough to receive really good offers from all my choices including the Bartlett and AA. So fingers crossed I get the grades and I'll be starting at the Bartlett in September! :biggrin:
Reply 4
Original post by nairline
Hey nice to hear from you ! :smile: my names Sabrah .. and yes I'm currently studying in my first year of a levels . That's cool - is this the hidden spaces bartlett Summer school programme you're on? Are u also doing a levels?

Hi,I'm going to be attending the two week summer school called the future london home! And i'm glad to say I HAVE FINISHED THE international baccalaureate COURSE:biggrin:
Reply 5
Original post by darthbananas
Just saw this and thought I'd pitch in! I went to the summer school in August 2013 and it was really fun! The tutors are so enthusiastic and they really push you, the fellow students were all roughly the same age as me (17,18,19) and we had a blast! However be warned, it is an intense 2 weeks, and the tutors are equally as competitive as the students when it comes to working on the projects so be ready to REALLY push yourself.

Before I started the course I expected everyday to consist of structured workshops and lectures however this wasn't the case. That said, we did go on various tours/ site visits which broke things up nicely and got us out of the studio. In my group, (the total number of people who attended were divided into 3 groups of 20ish, which were then divided into roughly 3 teams of six), we had to come up with our own direction for the project and along with the tutors build everything using materials etc provided in the workshop.

The course may officially finish at 5 every evening but (as like in the real world) we stayed as late as possible in the studios in order to get the projects finished in time for the critiques. The day before my teams critique we got in early at 8:30-9:00am and didn't leave til about 10:45pm! So if you're lazy, not that motivated, and don't enjoy working as a team then this isn't the course for you, and you should possibly consider a different career lol

This can sound quite daunting but if you are curious to sample the Bartlett way of thinking, aswell as the intense work ethic it instills then this course is perfect. Believe me, if you put the time and effort in, you will get so much out! Having finished the course I have made great friends, made important contacts, developed my team work skills significantly and glimpsed a unique way of developing ideas that is definitely going to stay with me!

All in all, I'd say the skills which i gained, and thought processes i developed during the course had a big impact on me when came back to school in September to start my A2 level art & design projects. My work stepped up a level, my portfolio improved and since then I have been lucky enough to receive really good offers from all my choices including the Bartlett and AA. So fingers crossed I get the grades and I'll be starting at the Bartlett in September! :biggrin:

I thank you fully for this info :eek:, i am very enthusiastic about this course and you have heightened it. It's going to be hard but I'm looking forward to every aspect. Will you be going this year?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending