The Student Room Group

britain's rape crisis

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Are you gonna take this up to parliament and (ask for tougher sentencing) or are you just gonna keep nagging men? Why don't you get a bodyguard seriously..
Burkhas are the way forward. Stop temptation.
Original post by Hit Girl
now here is a very good point! if girls as young as 14 don't go showing off how big their bums ... then im pretty damn sure it is highly unlikely to get raped. They are also much more vulnerable when they are wearing short skirts.

Can't tell if this is sarcasm but I'll take this as a genuine agreement. :cool:
Original post by limetang
No, they don't. 85000 is 0.26 % of women. It's too many yes, but let's but that into perspective. There are 207000 incidents of robbery each year over 2 million cases of non-sexual violence ... I could go on. Point is you can't just throw these numbers out there without context and then claim that this is evidence of rape culture. It isn't. It's evidence that rape happens, but that it's really (when compared to the rates of other types of violent crime) not particularly overly purportrated by comparison.

That's 0.26% every year. That's 3 people per year out of the size of an average school. That's a horrific statistic.

Of course there are other crimes, and the OP isn't say that other crimes don't exist.

I also don't personally feel that someone being given a fat lip is on the same scale as being raped. There will be more serious violent crimes in those statistics, clearly, but also a huge number of minor violence incidents.

In 2007, HMIC estimated that 75-95% of rape incidents are never even reported: http://www.hmic.gov.uk/media/without-consent-20061231.pdf. If we take the more conservative 75% then that's more than every 1 in 100 women being raped every year.

Nobody is pretending like other crimes don't exist or occur in Britain, but rape culture definitely exists.
Original post by slade p
first we need to ask why britain has one of the highest rape rates in the world at 28 per 100,000 people?

is it that there is a high amount of misogyny and sexism in Britain?

I would definitely agree.

I'm British but I've lived in Canada, Germany and the Netherlands and I found those countries so much superior in their attitudes towards women.

In Britain you will either be overly adored and babified as a woman, or you'll be treated like sexual scum.

In the Netherlands, no guy will ever kiss your hand or hold a door open for you - but you will always be his equal. They don't "respect women" in Holland or Scandinavia - they wouldn't even know the meaning of it - because to them, you're just you. You first. Not "girl" first.

There's no equivalent of the term "love" in Dutch. The guys call you "mate" "buddy" or "man". Some people would find this bizarre, and it took me a long while to get used to, but by comparison - I actually prefer it as I felt my self-esteem was higher there than it ever could be here.

They respect women more because they respect themselves more.

All the countries which have the worst attitudes towards women are failing.

In fact, gender equality correlates very strongly with societal wellbeing and prosperity.

The UK and the US are losing both of the latter and they're becoming increasingly sexist with it.

When sh*t hits the fan, people will use any form of power they have left. Sad but true.
Reply 65
Original post by Rebel_Chick
Can't tell if this is sarcasm but I'll take this as a genuine agreement. :cool:

lol no it wasn't sarcasm:bear:
wtf is a rape culture ?
Maybe in places with forced marriages but not in most of UK
Reply 67
Original post by vengeance111
wtf is a rape culture ?
Maybe in places with forced marriages but not in most of UK

haha do you not realise the stupidity of what you just did? you asked what rape culture is but then you go and say it happens in other places.
Original post by slade p
haha do you not realise the stupidity of what you just did? you asked what rape culture is but then you go and say it happens in other places.

YAH BUDDY IIS WEL SOOPID
the point is most of the rapes the original poster is talking about will not be forced marriages, in fact i'd say 0 of the reported rapes every year are the result of forced marriage, because if they are the victim is extremely unlikely to come forward, as their backwards relatives would probably throw acid at her or something...

I'm a guy and I'm not aware of any culture to rape, for me rape is a horrific act and 95% of people I know would agree.

People who rape women are the lowest down in prison because even other criminals think there vile...
Anyone who truly believes in rape culture existing in the uk is severely deluded....
Original post by DarkWhite
That's 0.26% every year. That's 3 people per year out of the size of an average school. That's a horrific statistic.

Of course there are other crimes, and the OP isn't say that other crimes don't exist.

I also don't personally feel that someone being given a fat lip is on the same scale as being raped. There will be more serious violent crimes in those statistics, clearly, but also a huge number of minor violence incidents.

In 2007, HMIC estimated that 75-95% of rape incidents are never even reported: http://www.hmic.gov.uk/media/without-consent-20061231.pdf. If we take the more conservative 75% then that's more than every 1 in 100 women being raped every year.

Nobody is pretending like other crimes don't exist or occur in Britain, but rape culture definitely exists.

I wasn't even attempting to say that, I was LITERALLY putting it into the context of violent crime as a whole as a means of giving the figures some sort of context so we can see whether or not rape is disproportionately high. You can't just quote numbers without trying to see where the fit in. "85000 rapes per year that is SHOCKINGLY HIGH" It's very poor reporting of the data done deliberately because 85000 is a big number in our minds.
Does britain have a murder crises ? a fraud crises ? a copyright infringement crises ?

Just because Rape involves women doesnt mean we create a special set of hyperbole for it
Original post by Rebel_Chick
My minor is criminal justice and I want to do Prosecution and I know that many of these cases if not most are: a 19 yr old can get arrested and registered as an offender for being with a 17 yr old. Digest that hilarity.

I'm guessing you live in the U.S, because in the U.K it is completely legal for even a 50 year old to have sex with a 16 year old. Statutory rape cases in the U.K are like a 16 and a 15 year old.

Of course, because are laws are so un-sexist and equal, If two 15 year olds have sex, only the male will be charged with statutory rape. Even when both parties are willing.

OP - If you believe Britain has a "rape culture" then i'm guessing we also have a theft culture, violent crime culture, etc etc.. right?
Original post by Spetznaaz
I'm guessing you live in the U.S, because in the U.K it is completely legal for even a 50 year old to have sex with a 16 year old. Statutory rape cases in the U.K are like a 16 and a 15 year old.

Of course, because are laws are so un-sexist and equal, If two 15 year olds have sex, only the male will be charged with statutory rape. Even when both parties are willing.

OP - If you believe Britain has a "rape culture" then i'm guessing we also have a theft culture, violent crime culture, etc etc.. right?

:mute: Nah, I'm English but if I'm getting professionally educated in an academic discipline it's safe to cover stories from many different places, especially laws and politics and public administration, which is my focus.
Original post by zippity.doodah
what's your solution?

A harsher judicial system.. surgical amputation of sexual organs for those proved to be guilty.
Original post by Darkwarrior23
A harsher judicial system.. surgical amputation of sexual organs for those proved to be guilty.

Our justice system isn't infallible, you know. If your rule was instituted, we would sometimes castrate an innocent person. I would argue against it just for that reason.
Original post by anosmianAcrimony
Our justice system isn't infallible, you know. If your rule was instituted, we would sometimes castrate an innocent person. I would argue against it just for that reason.

So how do you suggest we solve this rape "crisis"? Adaption is not an option btw :smile:
Original post by Darkwarrior23
So how do you suggest we solve this rape "crisis"? Adaption is not an option btw :smile:

I dunno - I'm no lawyer. It's possible that instituting harsher punishments might be a viable solution. But I really don't think any sort of amputation would be the way to go. Way too Victorian!
Original post by Jakebarker1605
you're annoying a lot of very defensive, aggressive people.

Those words are literally antonyms
Original post by James222
Does britain have a murder crises ? a fraud crises ? a copyright infringement crises ?

Just because Rape involves women doesnt mean we create a special set of hyperbole for it

Funny how you think the phrase 'rape crisis' is a hyperbole but you hyperbolically rationalise rape alongside copyright infringement and fraud. Actually, it's not funny, it's disgusting.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending