The Student Room Group

AQA English Language GCSE *NEED HELP*

Hello, guys I have an exam in two days time and I really need help to enable to me to calm down for the exam. I am currently struggling with question 4 with comparing the language used for effect... I look at both piece of text and I just don't get how daforest is used and when its used in the text.

Secondly, I got 51/80 in my coursework which I was told was a D is this true? :/ I am doing the higher paper, what would I need to get an overall B grade?

Thanks fast comments appreciated!
I find Q 4 tricky too :smile:
16 marks- spend longer on it than qs 1,2&3
Use a highlighter & pick out the main language devices in the text - I can't remember exactly what daforest is but here are some examples
Imagery- similies, metaphors, adjectives- paints fuller picture e.t.c
Emotive language - evokes emotions, dramatic, makes them think
Persuasive language - persuades, question their own view
Facts/figures/ statistics - inform/shock
Verbs - exciting, vivid
Rhetorical questions - pause/question their view/ think
List of 3 - more info for reader, emphasis, exaggeration
Alliteration- puts emphasis/ makes it stand out/ dramatic
Pronouns - personal
Puns/word play- entertaining, makes reader think, humorous, sarcastic
Hyperbole(exaggeration)- emphasis, shocking/persuasive, vivid
Onomatopoeia- vivid, emphasis, entertaining/humorous
Use short quotes
Have a think about the effect they have on the reader- you have to be really explicit & clear & link it to the text. Have several examples where you really analyse the effects using PEE/PEEL. E.g. this is effective because .........
Pick out really obvious similarities & differences. Use comparison words like both, similarly, unlike, in the same way e.t.c to make it very clear that you are comparing them. Think of the purpose of both texts & think about why the language is different in both. Usually you have to pick text 3 but for the one to compare it to pick the one that is most obviously different so that there is more to write about. :smile:

For my year 10 mock (about a month ago) we did the 2013 paper. The grade boundary for an A* was 58/80! & then I think it roughly went down in 5's. :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 2
What does the l in peel stand for? And how many points should I aim to write?
And with daforest you just look for that technique so for instance d is direct address and then you look for an example which would be the use of the word 'you' and then explain the effect. So it would make it more personal and make it feel like the writer is talking to the reader etc.
For question 4, around 1/2 of your points should be on specific language choices and to what extent they quantify of qualify. This is a much higher level skill than merely picking out a simile ore something.
Reply 4
Thanks a lot guys! I will be working on this question till about 12.30 am, wake up around 8-9 AM and bang back on a full days revision! Any ideas of how I would plan my answer and also how much shall I write? I am looking towards getting into band 4 in all the questions. Thanks once again guys, <3
Original post by Manexopi
What does the l in peel stand for? And how many points should I aim to write?
And with daforest you just look for that technique so for instance d is direct address and then you look for an example which would be the use of the word 'you' and then explain the effect. So it would make it more personal and make it feel like the writer is talking to the reader etc.

That's right, I would aim to write 3 good PEE paragraphs for each article. So you would say something like
TEXT 1 uses DIRECT ADDRESS for example QUOTE. This is EFFECTIVE because it makes the article more personal which involves the reader with the text. TEXT 2 ALSO uses DIRECT ADRRESS HOWEVER the EFFECT is to e.t.c

It's easier to do more of an analysis with a simile or metaphor because they will usually have a deeper meaning.

To be honest I usually just use PEE- point, evidence, explain. The L in PEEL is link so linking back to the question which is usually more useful in essays. However you are linking back to the question when you are explaining the effects. :smile:
Original post by lilseez
Thanks a lot guys! I will be working on this question till about 12.30 am, wake up around 8-9 AM and bang back on a full days revision! Any ideas of how I would plan my answer and also how much shall I write? I am looking towards getting into band 4 in all the questions. Thanks once again guys, <3

It's more about the quality than the quantity on this paper but in general the more marks it carries the more you should write so that you can make a range of points in order to access the higher marks. The most I did for any of the questions was 3 1/2 sides. :smile: (I think it was question 4 & 6)
Reply 7
Original post by VioletPhillippo
That's right, I would aim to write 3 good PEE paragraphs for each article. So you would say something like
TEXT 1 uses DIRECT ADDRESS for example QUOTE. This is EFFECTIVE because it makes the article more personal which involves the reader with the text. TEXT 2 ALSO uses DIRECT ADRRESS HOWEVER the EFFECT is to e.t.c

It's easier to do more of an analysis with a simile or metaphor because they will usually have a deeper meaning.

To be honest I usually just use PEE- point, evidence, explain. The L in PEEL is link so linking back to the question which is usually more useful in essays. However you are linking back to the question when you are explaining the effects. :smile:

Ah I see thanks! I'm worried about the exam the only questions I am confident in are 2 and 6 and im expected to get an A* :s-smilie:
For question 1 what is meant by inferring and being perceptive? We were just told to summarise it so now I'm confused. Also for question 5 we were told to use satire and puns but how do you do that in an exam? That would take me ages to come up with!
Reply 8
Original post by VioletPhillippo
It's more about the quality than the quantity on this paper but in general the more marks it carries the more you should write so that you can make a range of points in order to access the higher marks. The most I did for any of the questions was 3 1/2 sides. :smile: (I think it was question 4 & 6)

Hey mate, here is the first paragraph I wrote tell me what you think of it and what band it would go under.

Both source 1 and 2 use emotive language for effect. We read of "After a night sleeping". The words "night" and "rough" don't get along together, yet used to emphasis how uncomfortable and rough the writer felt in durance of the time period
Original post by lilseez
Hey mate, here is the first paragraph I wrote tell me what you think of it and what band it would go under.

Both source 1 and 2 use emotive language for effect. We read of "After a night sleeping". The words "night" and "rough" don't get along together, yet used to emphasis how uncomfortable and rough the writer felt in durance of the time period

Hiya, it's a very good point & structure so you are on the right track but to get into the higher bands you need to be more detailed & analytical for example why bed & rough are a contrast ( explore some if the things we associate with beds- warmth, comfort, rest e.t.c) :smile:

Maybe add some more detail about the effect as well because that is just as important. What emotions would it evoke in the reader? Empathy? Sympathy? E.t.c. :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest