The Student Room Group
Reply 1
SugarPlum
I'm thinking of volunteering in a hospital over the summer holidays, but I'm only 15, so I don't know if I'd be old enough. I currently volunteer weekly at a centre for disabled children, so surely if I'm old enough to do that, then I'd be old enough to volunteer in a hospital? Right?

Sorry I dont know how old you have to be....just wanted to say 'well done' for actually volunteering in the first place!!
Reply 2
The worst they can do is tell you to wait a little.
SugarPlum
I'm thinking of volunteering in a hospital over the summer holidays, but I'm only 15, so I don't know if I'd be old enough. I currently volunteer weekly at a centre for disabled children, so surely if I'm old enough to do that, then I'd be old enough to volunteer in a hospital? Right?

I'm afraid they prefer you to be over sixteen and sometimes even they will go as far as saying you must be over eighteen. I remember this since I volunteered most of last summer and couldn't take one of the positions i wanted at my local hospital since you had to be eighteen and over (i'd just turned seventeen:frown:). In one centre to teach basic IT to people with physical or learning disabilities you had to be over sixteen years old - however i worked with a few people who weren't quite sixteen yet! I think if you manage to get your supervisor to talk with the person in authority you could have a possible chance.
Reply 4
Ok, thanks everyone. I think I'll enquire about volunteering anyway because although I'll probably be too young, I'll keep enquiring until I'm old enough, by which time they'll want to take me on, just to shut me up enquring! :wink:

ETA: Do you think I'd be old enough to volunteer at a health clinic, or something like that if I can't at a hospital? I'd like to make use of my summer by doing something at least a little beneficial rather than just a shop-job or something.
Reply 5
Hi, Its great that you volunteer, i volunteer at my local hospice, its great the patients there are great, and they have become more like friends now, i've been going one afternoon a week for nearly two years, i am however, 18, and it i can remember when i was younger i wanted to do what your doing but i couldn't get in anywhere, especially hospitals they are very picky about letting people in, because its a vunerable environment, i'm a student nurse now and i can understand why, its mainly because the patients feel that a volunteer is kind of intruding private space, i would try as your nhs trust may be different from mine, but i'd like to say how cool you are for volunteering where you are now, i hope you continue to volunteer as much as you can, everyone will really appreciate, and aswell as that it puts you in a very good position when your at job/ uni interviews when you can be proud and say what you have done. Well done :-)
Reply 6
SugarPlum

At the hospital near me you have to be at least 17.5yrs old to volunteer...but it may be different for different hospitals and you might be able to do something else other then volunteer on wards?
Reply 7
SugarPlum

I have made enquiries..If you want to be on a ward it's 18 and above...
Reply 8
zazy
I have made enquiries..If you want to be on a ward it's 18 and above...

Hmmm.....so perhaps as 15, nearly 16, I could volunteer, just not on the wards?
Reply 9
SugarPlum
Hmmm.....so perhaps as 15, nearly 16, I could volunteer, just not on the wards?

you could do some admin work but not on the wards.
Reply 10
Ok then, well at least with admin work I get the feel of a hospital, and can talk to people who work there about their views.

Latest

Trending

Trending