The Student Room Group

What is English literature A Level like?

What is this AS level like? I actually started enjoying English in year 11 and my teacher told me to take it but I'm not sure I can handle it along with my other main subjects.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by sultanan09
What is this AS level like? I actually started enjoying English in year 11 and my teacher told me to take it but I'm not sure I can handle it along with my other main subjects.

What other subjects are you taking? :smile:

I'm going to put this in the English forum for you as you should get more responses there. :smile:

You should also check out the forum to see if there's any other threads there which might be helpful to you! http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=82
Reply 2
Original post by Puddles the Monkey
What other subjects are you taking? :smile:

I'm going to put this in the English forum for you as you should get more responses there. :smile:

You should also check out the forum to see if there's any other threads there which might be helpful to you! http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=82

I'm taking Biology, chemistry and maths so I think Eng lit will be too much.

If you think it will be too much, then you shouldn't take it. It's entirely your choice, you should do what's right for you. :smile:
I do English Lit and I find it's not too difficult, the texts are really interesting and the workload is not heavy. We've had roughly 2-3 essays a term. A lot of people take English with your other A Levels, it is definitely manageable. However, only take it if you want to and you enjoy English, not because your teacher wants you to! :smile:
How many books/poems/plays do you do?
Also are they different every year and for every school... I'm doing it next year and I want to read them first :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6

You need a subject like English Literature to give you a breather from the other three, I do the subject combination you're considering and I find English to be the most interesting.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
I do AQA Literature B and its such a refreshing change from GCSE

For our AS year we studied The History Boys and Twelfth Night around the theme of 'Comedy' for our 2 coursework pieces, and The Great Gatsby, The Kite Runner and Tennyson and Browning poetry for our written exam.

This year we studied Carol Ann Duffy focusing on Feminist literature and criticism and a comparative study of 2 dystopian texts of our choosing for coursework (I chose 1984 and Fahrenheit 451, I was the only one in my class who didnt choose A Handmaidens Tale or Never Let Me Go) For our exam (which is tomorrow please kill me now) we studied Frankenstein, Doctor Faustus and Macbeth for Gothic Literature.

Lit is a lot of fun but you have to really kick it up a gear from GCSE, I got an A* in year 11, this year I'll be lucky to get an A.
Original post by possum_box
How many books/poems/plays do you do?
Also are they different every year and for every school... I'm doing it next year and I want to read them first :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

You do 2 for coursework (we did Shakespeare and Oscar Wilde), then 4 for the exam (the most common is Gatsby, which we also did). The other texts we studied were The Rime of the Ancient Mariner, The Road and Browning's poetry. Basically, there are 2 novels and 2 poems for the exam. The texts vary per school, you could have a look on the spec for the full list, or ask your teachers which ones they teach :smile:
Original post by economicsrocks
You do 2 for coursework (we did Shakespeare and Oscar Wilde), then 4 for the exam (the most common is Gatsby, which we also did). The other texts we studied were The Rime of the Ancient Mariner, The Road and Browning's poetry. Basically, there are 2 novels and 2 poems for the exam. The texts vary per school, you could have a look on the spec for the full list, or ask your teachers which ones they teach :smile:

That sounds like a similar work load to gcse. Then again your novels are much longer than of mice and men/an inspector calls. Aside from larger texts and more in depth analysis, are there any other major set ups from gcse?

Posted from TSR Mobile
From your other subject choices it sounds as though you're looking into going into science - which means if you did do English Lit, it would just be for fun? I do English Lit, and I'm really enjoying it. The workload is manageable, and the coursework is interesting. I can't say anything for the A2 exam but the AS exam isn't too difficult. Obviously it's an essay subject, so if you're not prepared to write quite a few essays (it varies in different schools - we get roughly one a fortnight during the year, and then one a week as exams draw closer) it might not be for you - but saying that, essays can be a nice relief from science/maths homework (or so I've heard - I only take essay subjects haha).

In the end, it just comes down to what will work best for you, and if you think it will be too much then don't worry about it. If you're uncertain, you can always wait and see how you do in your GCSEs, and if after that you're still not sure then you can take it and drop it after a few weeks if it's not working out for you.

Don't let what your teacher says sway you - they like to advertise their subject, but in the end it's your future and you don't want to be guided in the wrong direction (no matter how good their intention is). I hope this has helped :smile:
Original post by BethanyMary
From your other subject choices it sounds as though you're looking into going into science - which means if you did do English Lit, it would just be for fun? I do English Lit, and I'm really enjoying it. The workload is manageable, and the coursework is interesting. I can't say anything for the A2 exam but the AS exam isn't too difficult. Obviously it's an essay subject, so if you're not prepared to write quite a few essays (it varies in different schools - we get roughly one a fortnight during the year, and then one a week as exams draw closer) it might not be for you - but saying that, essays can be a nice relief from science/maths homework (or so I've heard - I only take essay subjects haha).

In the end, it just comes down to what will work best for you, and if you think it will be too much then don't worry about it. If you're uncertain, you can always wait and see how you do in your GCSEs, and if after that you're still not sure then you can take it and drop it after a few weeks if it's not working out for you.

Don't let what your teacher says sway you - they like to advertise their subject, but in the end it's your future and you don't want to be guided in the wrong direction (no matter how good their intention is). I hope this has helped :smile:

As a curious Y11, what subjects do you take?

I've chosen 4 essay subjects: Lit, RS, Econ(kinda essay), Politics..Worried that I will struggle with the workload - any tips?

Thanks
That sounds like a similar work load to gcse. Then again your novels are much longer than of mice and men/an inspector calls. Aside from larger texts and more in depth analysis, are there any other major set ups from gcse?

Posted from TSR Mobile

There is a bit more work than GCSE. The analysis isn't like GCSE since we don't do as much language analysis. Instead, you may look at the context, and if you do AQA LITB1, you will look at all the narrative techniques that the author uses- structure, descriptions, voice, point of view, characterisation, setting etc. and what their significances are.

Other than that, I don't find it too difficult. You will be expected to read and research the texts in your own time and there is a slight (but easily adaptable) change in essay style. Hope this helped :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 13

Posted from TSR Mobile

The GCSE workload is incomparable to the A-level workload. You'll find out when you start sixth form.

One difference is the huge step up in the complexity of the reading material. Not only are they much longer but also pretty challenging. I read Jane Eyre and Wuthering Heights for example and as Victorian Literature you can imagine how heavy going they are. Maybe read the first chapter of one of these online - give you a feel for it. Both amazing books though I might add!

The biggest challenger however is your wider reading. In GCSE you only really read exam board set texts. For A-level, you don't really have many set texts and they expect you to read around your genre/era as in the exam the questions focus on you making links to these other books/plays/poems you have read independently. For AS, I think I read about 7 wider reading texts. For A2, about 15.

If you love reading, you'll love it! Hope this helps :-)
English Literature really isn't that hard. Especially compared to the subjects you have already chosen.

As long as you enjoy it, you should be fine. The leap from GCSE is really not that big either. It was my favourite A-level, by far.... In fact was probably the only A-level I DIDN'T regret doing.
Reply 15
I do Edexcel Literature at AS and it's out of all my other subjects (3 sciences, maths and fm) it's the one where I'd be ecstatic if I scraped an A :rolleyes:. The workload and expectations of the exam board is much higher than GCSE/IGCSE. I did Pride and Prejudice and the Yellow Wallpaper, the Land Anthology for Poems and Duchess of Malfi/Taming of the Shrew for coursework. Coursework is a real pain, so it's very important to start early because the grade boundaries are very harsh (72-74/80 just for an A). The written exam is fine content wise but very lengthy and you will almost guaranteed feel rushed for time. Even though it's quite challenging, it is an excellent break from maths/science subjects! It's also something of an acquired taste I suppose, I almost dropped it in my 2nd month, but in the weeks before my exam I felt satisfied in knowing that I had grasped such a vast amount of knowledge/ideologies and just generally felt more well-read and well-informed. So do take it if you're willing to work and you have a genuine passion for reading :smile:

I did these subjects, and I found that English Lit gave me contrast in my timetable, which was good, as I think I would have found it really stressful if I had picked Physics like I planned to in Year 11.

I prefer the coursework elements of English Lit, and the AS exam wasn't too bad, as it was open book. The A2 exam is closed book though :frown:
Original post by Cal-lum
As a curious Y11, what subjects do you take?

I've chosen 4 essay subjects: Lit, RS, Econ(kinda essay), Politics..Worried that I will struggle with the workload - any tips?

Thanks

I take English Lit, Classical Civilisation, History, Art (just realised that's not an essay subject haha), General Studies (as a forced extra... pulls grumpy face) and Creative Writing.

Your subject selection goes really well together :smile: although it does look quite tough.

The workload is going to be very essay heavy, but that kind of goes without saying. The best thing you can do to stay on top of it is be organised. Keeping track of when essays are set and when they are due is obviously a must. Don't leave anything until the last minute - if you do, you'll learn the hard way (I once got up at three in the morning so I could write two essays due in that day... it wasn't pretty). If you work out roughly how long an essay takes you to write (an 800-1000 word essay usually takes me two hours... I have a friend who can do it in 30 minutes, and another who needs 6 hours. It depends on the subject, as well as you personally) then that will help you to manage your time.

Another tip would be to always plan your essays - even if it's just 5 minutes scrawling down vague ideas, having an plan in your head of where you want to go with your essay and how you are going to get there saves an awful lot of time, because it means don't get stuck wondering what to write next.

My final tip would be not to worry too much if you are finding it difficult at the start of the year - AS is a big step up from GCSE, and it will be challenging at first. Once you get used to writing essays, and you've learned what each subject wants you to put in them, it will get easier, and you will get quicker.

The work load is definitely manageable, and you'll still have free time. As long as you make an effort to stay on top of things then there's no reason why you should struggle :smile:
Original post by BethanyMary
I take English Lit, Classical Civilisation, History, Art (just realised that's not an essay subject haha), General Studies (as a forced extra... pulls grumpy face) and Creative Writing.

Your subject selection goes really well together :smile: although it does look quite tough.

The workload is going to be very essay heavy, but that kind of goes without saying. The best thing you can do to stay on top of it is be organised. Keeping track of when essays are set and when they are due is obviously a must. Don't leave anything until the last minute - if you do, you'll learn the hard way (I once got up at three in the morning so I could write two essays due in that day... it wasn't pretty). If you work out roughly how long an essay takes you to write (an 800-1000 word essay usually takes me two hours... I have a friend who can do it in 30 minutes, and another who needs 6 hours. It depends on the subject, as well as you personally) then that will help you to manage your time.

Another tip would be to always plan your essays - even if it's just 5 minutes scrawling down vague ideas, having an plan in your head of where you want to go with your essay and how you are going to get there saves an awful lot of time, because it means don't get stuck wondering what to write next.

My final tip would be not to worry too much if you are finding it difficult at the start of the year - AS is a big step up from GCSE, and it will be challenging at first. Once you get used to writing essays, and you've learned what each subject wants you to put in them, it will get easier, and you will get quicker.

The work load is definitely manageable, and you'll still have free time. As long as you make an effort to stay on top of things then there's no reason why you should struggle :smile:

Thank you very much :adore:

Yeah I have become a very organised person recently and plan to really put my all into my A levels so I should just about be able to cope! I'm actually really excited to start my A levels, I think its a mixture of taking interesting subjects and having a bit of extra independence and trust from teachers :smile:. I think over the few weeks after we finish GCSE's I'm going to start making a few notes on the subjects and doing some background reading just to make sure I know what I'm in for ;D

The essay advice will help a lot, I think its a bit silly that at GCSE you don't get the opportunity to write many essays, so when it comes to A level it is bound to be a big shock. Oh well.

Creative writing sounds very fun :smile:
I'm planning on taking Physics, Economics (the only plausible option in that block), English Lit, Maths. And I've put my name down for Further Maths but I'm probably going to drop it :cool:

So I don't know if I will find the workload unmanagable, but I know that Im definately not going to change my mind about English Lit... If I happened to do an English Degree do I need any other subjects aside from English? (Not a fan of history after a tough yr 11, and they sadly don't offer classical civillisation. Aside from those two i don't know any other subjects which would be useful)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending