The Student Room Group

Is it true that poor people can't get into medical school?

Hi,

I have really good A-level grades and was looking scholarships in Medical Schools in order to apply, but I didn't find any. Someone mentioned to me that people from the lower socio-economic class & not UK/EU citizen or permanent residents can not get into medical schools in the UK anyway :frown: , is that true? I would also like to know about any scholarship or funding opportunities in medical schools that international students can look into to fund their medical school education.
I assume from this that you are an international student?

For UK / EU students, there are student loans available to cover fees and living expenses. So yes, 'poor people' can study medicine. However these are not available for international students, and obviously the fees are much higher. I don't know of any scholarships for medicine - and I'm not sure how you would find out except to contact medical schools individually. So to go back to your initial question, the distinction is rather between 'home' students and international students, rather than rich students and poor students. This distinction between 'home' and international needs to be made, as it is expensive to train a doctor, and therefore the fees need to reflect that. Unfortunately consequently it means that it is difficult for international students to study in the UK unless they have the funding - but this is not to discriminate against 'poor people', and UK/EU medical students come from all walks of life and with many varied backgrounds and social / financial situations.
Sometimes universities do offer scholarships for internationals. However, they are rare and the most common source of external funding in my experience is from the government of the country the student originates from. Even then though, you would probably need a not insignificant amount of private funding, especially for a degree as expensive as medicine.

International funding is a lot more available in the US.
Well.. if you can't afford it (or find a way to pay), you can't go. Simple as.
Original post by ast2014
Hi,

I have really good A-level grades and was looking scholarships in Medical Schools in order to apply, but I didn't find any. Someone mentioned to me that people from the lower socio-economic class & not UK/EU citizen or permanent residents can not get into medical schools in the UK anyway :frown: , is that true? I would also like to know about any scholarship or funding opportunities in medical schools that international students can look into to fund their medical school education.

Unfortunately you have to prove you can pay for the course to get a student visa. :frown: although I don't think you have to prove you have enough to pay for the full course - just the first year initially and then prove you have enough for the following year when you apply to extend the visa. Taking out a loan from the bank is an option but there's the issue of being in a lot of debt. You will be able to pay it back though I would imagine once you start earning. Is taking another gap year an option? (I'm assuming you're on one since you have your results). Maybe you and your parent(s) can work and save up to pay for the first year and take out a loan for the rest. I'm in a similar boat where my dad can't afford to pay for the full 5 or 6 years so he's taking out a loan to cover the last couple of years. You can also work up to 20 hours a week in the UK as an international student so you could use that to pay for some of your living costs.

Good luck! :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending