The Student Room Group

When should I start revising?

Hi, I'm in year 11 and starting Alevels in September. I think I'm going to take chemistry, geography, biology and English literature, when should I start revising? I want to get as higher grades as possible.
if u want to get the highest grades then start revising now...
do a bit over the summer (if youre really dedicated)
but make sure as soon as u start school in September you revise straight away. make a plan and stick to it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
1-2 months before exam period is fine.

You'll have plenty of frees and time outside of school to work through your subjects progressively anyways.

Enjoy your summer while you have exam leave.
Reply 3
Original post by midnight phoenix
but make sure as soon as u start school in September you revise straight away. make a plan and stick to it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Okay thanks, how much time should I roughly spend on each subject? And how should I build up my revision?
Reply 4
Can't give you help for biology, geography or chemistry, but for English Lit, I'd highly recommend reading the books you'll be studying over the summer (if your teacher has given you the titles). Also annotate the books according to themes you'll notice: this will definitely give you a head start :smile:
Enjoy the time off :biggrin:, plenty of time throughout the year for revision. To be honest I was too worried about GCSE results to do anything else :/
However English Literature I was encourage to read a range of books XD so thats all i can recommend
(edited 9 years ago)
Considering you are still year 11 which technically hasnt even ended yet, not right now, you dont even know the courses content.

When it comes down to it, i usualy go for how long it would take me to do all the past papers 3 times, 2 times of actually doing the papers and then 1 time as to actually "revise" the topic.
Reply 7
Original post by midnight phoenix

Posted from TSR Mobile

I dont want to be rude but the quote above is ridiculous.
Dont start revising before you even know anything about the topics youre learning, you cant revise something you havent been taught. Have some fun this summer, you dont need to do any work, just make sure that when you start school you dont fall behind or misunderstand anything, then start light revision in February, like an hour a week for each subject, then at the end of march/start of April you should increase the time, and a month before your exams start revising 2 hours a day
Reply 8
Original post by JD8897
Dont start revising before you even know anything about the topics youre learning, you cant revise something you havent been taught. Have some fun this summer, you dont need to do any work, just make sure that when you start school you dont fall behind or misunderstand anything, then start light revision in February, like an hour a week for each subject, then at the end of march/start of April you should increase the time, and a month before your exams start revising 2 hours a day

Okay thank you!
Original post by JD8897

evidently you'd ask your teachers what you will be learning
and u can start learning it yourself
especially for bio and chem teachers encourage learning the content yourself before going to a lesson
well in my school they did

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Original post by Ndella
Can't give you help for biology, geography or chemistry, but for English Lit, I'd highly recommend reading the books you'll be studying over the summer (if your teacher has given you the titles). Also annotate the books according to themes you'll notice: this will definitely give you a head start :smile:

Haha okay thanks :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest