The Student Room Group
Student Outside, University of Aberdeen
University of Aberdeen

Attention: Aberdeen Freshers Facebook Groups Scams

Hey guys,
I won't post the links here (due to studentroom rules), but I want to warn you all that there is a scam by some dodgy promoters going on regarding the "Freshers Facebook Groups" - not only for Aberdeen but also Edinburgh, Glasgow and other university cities.

One promotion company sets up inofficial Facebook Freshers Groups to promote their own events (The Freshers Ball) and they will censor anything that relates to other events or even official university hall groups. They constantly delete posts on the groups and promote false university hall groups to even further "control" and use other groups for their marketing attempts.

For this reason, a few students have set up a not-marketing related Facebook group that you can easily find if you look for University of Aberdeen Freshers. That group is legit and won't be censoring any posts or distribute false information. It is the one with the cover picture of King's College.

This is just a warning for you all as I am sure nobody wants to be spammed with event invitations by that promotion company.
Reply 1
Original post by jules_aberdeen
Hey guys,
I won't post the links here (due to studentroom rules), but I want to warn you all that there is a scam by some dodgy promoters going on regarding the "Freshers Facebook Groups" - not only for Aberdeen but also Edinburgh, Glasgow and other university cities.

One promotion company sets up inofficial Facebook Freshers Groups to promote their own events (The Freshers Ball) and they will censor anything that relates to other events or even official university hall groups. They constantly delete posts on the groups and promote false university hall groups to even further "control" and use other groups for their marketing attempts.

For this reason, a few students have set up a not-marketing related Facebook group that you can easily find if you look for University of Aberdeen Freshers. That group is legit and won't be censoring any posts or distribute false information. It is the one with the cover picture of King's College.

This is just a warning for you all as I am sure nobody wants to be spammed with event invitations by that promotion company.

Thank you! :thumbsup:
Student Outside, University of Aberdeen
University of Aberdeen
No worries! We need to spread the word more to make sure these dodgy promotion companies won't succeed. :wink:
Reply 3
Original post by jules_aberdeen
Hey guys,

Thank You :biggrin:
Yeah, I hope they realize we won't take their sheet. We have brains and refuse to be their moneymaking machines!
Reply 5
Well done! Remember to report any unofficial freshers group that re adds you!
it's like we've started our own little revolution haha!
Reply 7
Quite a rebellion this one :biggrin: We're sure teaching them a lesson :smile:
Original post by dhlody20
Quite a rebellion this one :biggrin: We're sure teaching them a lesson :smile:

And we're taking other uni freshers with us! I'm so proud of us :mmm:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending