The Student Room Group

Getting into Mental Health work

Graduated with a maths degree but always wanted to do something that could help others. I have a keen interest in mental health and was wondering how I should go about with this?

I had a look on the NHS site and there doesn't seem to be any entry level roles despite the site saying that graduates of any discipline could train to be psychological wellbeing practitioner (studying one day a week, working for 4).

As a maths graduate, I don't have a psychology qualification or experience, where is the best place to go looking for experience/job preferably paid?
Original post by forever_and_always
Graduated with a maths degree but always wanted to do something that could help others. I have a keen interest in mental health and was wondering how I should go about with this?

I had a look on the NHS site and there doesn't seem to be any entry level roles despite the site saying that graduates of any discipline could train to be psychological wellbeing practitioner (studying one day a week, working for 4).

As a maths graduate, I don't have a psychology qualification or experience, where is the best place to go looking for experience/job preferably paid?

Depends on what you want to do. You could get a role as a support worker working in mental health, there may be a fair bit of competition for posts but it's something you could go into without specific qualifications.
I'd start off with volunteering. It'll look good on your job applications, and will also help you work out whether a job in MH is the right thing for you. I'm looking to become an occupational therapist (requires a 3 year degree or 2 year masters, but is NHS funded), so asked at my local hospital and should be starting some related voluntary work soon. :smile:

Does your uni have a decent careers service? It might also be worth paying them a visit to talk over your options.

Also take a look at the NHS jobs search. If you search for mental health jobs then you can look at the requirements and figure out what qualifications it might be worth investing in.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending