The Student Room Group

Head Boy Interview

Have a head boy interview coming up and feeling okay about it but when it comes to questions such as "how would you act if a prefect wasnt doing their duties correctly?" Or "what would you like to change in the school?" I just have a blank, any help for these questions or just in general in fact.
I recently passed some of these interviews in my school and made head boy, so I know just how tough these questions are.
I think personally that the main thing the interviewers are looking for is good character, so I think you should try to convey some modesty or evidence of efficiency when talking about these things; certainly don't sound too arrogant at whatever cost. Also, have clear cut policies which you should attempt to show that you're excited for and have a real plan of action to put them into practise (e.g. a buddy policy is a popular suggestion but few people will have any idea of the difficulties and ways to implement it).

Feel free to ask any other questions!
I have been made head boy for the end of this year and for next year and have done the interview etc etc,
The first question you asked about the prefects not doing job correctly I got and I said that I would monitor what they were doing (Or not doing!) and after a while would inform the member of staff in charge of prefects or their head of year. For the second question, think of some policies that are realistic and would benefit the WHOLE or most of the school, a popular one is always in my school is making toilets nicer (cleaner ect).

Hope this helps and good luck!
Go ahead and give over the top answers to both of those questions (and any other questions for that matter). Interviews are basically about selling as much bull**** as you can get the person on the other end of the table to buy. For example lets look at the second question you mentioned "what would you like to change in the school?". Lets be honest, the head boy will change jack **** in his tenure as head boy, everyone bloody knows that, but you can't say that in the interview. The poster above recommends that you think of some "realistic changes"... well, they're aren't any in my opinion and even if there were, they would be boring and as a result would score you no points in this interview. It will help if you know what teacher will be interviewing you, to gauge just how much bull**** you can sell them (which is usually correlated to how enthusiastic they are). Remember, just like in interviews where people ask where you see yourself in 5 years, it doesn't matter at all if you follow up on your claims. And then of course there's the usually stuff like give a firm hand shake when you walk in, be confident, smile, keep eye contact etc...

Good Luck!
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest