The Student Room Group

Zoology degree A level choices

Basically I really want to do a degree in zoology, and I've applied for Biology, Psychology, Spanish and French at sixth form because I know some unis allow psychology as a second science (in place of a hard science) but I don't know whether to swap french for chemistry- the fourth subject I'd would only do for AS level. This would be better because it might help with my degree and unis would like that. Also french seems a bit pointless as I'm already doing a language, and I think I only chose it as I didn't know what else to choose.
Has anyone here got onto a zoology course with just one hard science, or has anyone got any advice on my final choice? Thank you!!
Reply 1
Original post by studentusername_
Basically I really want to do a degree in zoology, and I've applied for Biology, Psychology, Spanish and French at sixth form because I know some unis allow psychology as a second science (in place of a hard science) but I don't know whether to swap french for chemistry- the fourth subject I'd would only do for AS level. This would be better because it might help with my degree and unis would like that. Also french seems a bit pointless as I'm already doing a language, and I think I only chose it as I didn't know what else to choose.
Has anyone here got onto a zoology course with just one hard science, or has anyone got any advice on my final choice? Thank you!!

Hi, :biggrin:
Semi-zoology applicant here (I applied for zoology at 4 unis, but ended up picking palaeontology at the fifth uni instead). As for your AS choices, it really depends which universities you're considering. If you're after a Russell group university you will need two sciences, but most of them do accept psychology as a science so you should be fine.

Do not worry too much about the fourth A level unless you're taking it to A2, the universities will base their offer on the subjects you take at A2, so if you want to take French for the first year it shouldn't be problem (as long as you don't decide to take only take Biology, French and Spanish at A2).
Original post by Kiwi789
Hi, :biggrin:
Semi-zoology applicant here (I applied for zoology at 4 unis, but ended up picking palaeontology at the fifth uni instead). As for your AS choices, it really depends which universities you're considering. If you're after a Russell group university you will need two sciences, but most of them do accept psychology as a science so you should be fine.

Do not worry too much about the fourth A level unless you're taking it to A2, the universities will base their offer on the subjects you take at A2, so if you want to take French for the first year it shouldn't be problem (as long as you don't decide to take only take Biology, French and Spanish at A2).

Thanks for you reply!!:biggrin: Yeah you're right about not really worrying about the fourth option, it's just I saw that Nottingham Uni said they'd take applicants who have a science AS level. Just out of interest, what did you choose?:smile:
Reply 3
Original post by studentusername_
Thanks for you reply!!:biggrin: Yeah you're right about not really worrying about the fourth option, it's just I saw that Nottingham Uni said they'd take applicants who have a science AS level. Just out of interest, what did you choose?:smile:

The subjects I picked were Physics(a subject I now hate), Maths, Biology and Chemistry (which is why I can say that Chemistry was quite hard, most of my year dropped out of A2 - but if you enjoyed it at GCSE go for it, the content is much more interesting at A level and the practicals are fun :biggrin:).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending