The Student Room Group

Handy tips/techniques for English Language tomorrow?

I, like many am sitting the English Language exam tomorrow and i feel a heap of expectation on my shoulders. Reason being that i have been entered into the higher tier exam and i've only sat one mock for it and unfortunately i came out 2 marks short of a C. However, my coursework equates to a B so if this was my genuine result i would've luckily got a C. Although a C is clearly possible i would like to know whats the best way to improve myself and maybe even get a B. I got 10/16 on question 5 which i believe is fairly good however on question 6 i got 10/24 which is poor and is the reason why i didn't get my C. What would be best to help me get the C/B i am aiming for tomorrow.

Thanks guys
Reply 1
bump.
First tip - use quotes and talk about their effect and relate this to the question - this is key and it will get you into the top grades
e.g. this shocks the reader, and subsequently aids to make them support the writers argument against/for......

Second tip - look for techniques and group them together so you don't repeat what you are saying - saves time and gets you the same no. of marks
e.g. the author use of vocabulary to describe the encounter of the bear, 'terrifying...etc' + 'another example' emphasises to the reader the sheer terror of the event. The author continues this throughout, to further this.

Final tip - be concise and structure your analytical answers (not summary answers) as the author - quote(s)/example(s) - effect - link to the question (only a few words)

For any writing questions read through what you have written after every sentence and seriously plan to ensure that when you are writing you know exactly what you are going to say - then it will sound more natural and it will be better.

Start with a sense of urgency and GOOD LUCK!
Reply 3
Look at the time. Time is the downfall of myself and everyone else in the world!
Original post by bobbybob12
First tip - use quotes and talk about their effect and relate this to the question - this is key and it will get you into the top grades
e.g. this shocks the reader, and subsequently aids to make them support the writers argument against/for......

Second tip - look for techniques and group them together so you don't repeat what you are saying - saves time and gets you the same no. of marks
e.g. the author use of vocabulary to describe the encounter of the bear, 'terrifying...etc' + 'another example' emphasises to the reader the sheer terror of the event. The author continues this throughout, to further this.

Final tip - be concise and structure your analytical answers (not summary answers) as the author - quote(s)/example(s) - effect - link to the question (only a few words)

For any writing questions read through what you have written after every sentence and seriously plan to ensure that when you are writing you know exactly what you are going to say - then it will sound more natural and it will be better.

Start with a sense of urgency and GOOD LUCK!

That was very helpful thanks :'D

Do you have your English Exam tmrw?
Reply 5
Original post by Parallex
Look at the time. Time is the downfall of myself and everyone else in the world!

Agreed. Exam boards are extremely selfish with timings in almost every exams, my hands get floppy halfway through the exam. Good luck.
Reply 6
This may help a few people

I did this exam last year .. Here is a post I made with more than enough

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2361083&p=42775942#post42775942
Reply 7
Couldn't agree more with time, 2:15 really does push you to the limit if you stick to time recommendations. My personal experience means my quality sometimes lacks full potential due to a constant worry of time but i guess practice helps iron this problem out. Good luck to whoever is sitting the exam tomorrow and thanks for the tips guys!

Quick Reply

Latest