The Student Room Group

Asians: do you struggle to talk to white people?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Rebel_Chick
What do you mean barrier? You might be asking other Asians who relate to your situation but as a white person I can tell you that honestly white people in general we're often not gonna come out of our thinking or shells to talk to someone of another race. The reason is, we are people too..okay? And we have our ideas and social preferences like everyone else. Just got through responding to someone up top who says they can't be with blacks or whites or Muslims so white people are not the only ones. It could probably just be you as a person no offense that might be shy or insecure or just not interesting to that group of people you are approaching. I dunno maybe it could be racism on their part or separatism, which is not being racist just uninterested in socially mixing. In general, people talk to who they want for their own reasons. So don't be offended or whatever & don't put a stress on white people not liking you either. If you feel insecure you're coming in with your own ideas that are making it difficult for you to open up OR you are simply trying too hard OR this group is just not interested. It happens to everyone in every race to go through this with every race.

:dry: this wasn't here...
Original post by m93100
They are humans, just like you. :smile:

I hate to break it to you but in fact, we are actually spacefaring aliens.
Reply 42
Original post by Ruffiio

I wouldn't go that far but they are called illegial aliens for a reason.
Reply 43
Why do People from different races always post anonymously? If this is a troll thread, you oughta find yourself a hobby.
As a (south) Asian nursing student, the majority of the people on my course and on placement are white females. When I started uni, no one white spoke to me literally and on placement on the wards I just spoke to the children and parents who were more ethnically diverse shall we say!
Despite all my friends from school being white, I think its awkward now as I have got older because I don't drink and all any of the other students or nurses on the wards literally ever spoke about was drinking! I find it easier talking to men in general and actually feel more comfortable talking to men of races other than my own! Its ridiculous because I genuinely don't see skin colour I see a person, but I am very conscious of the fact certain people particularly white people nowadays seem to see my skin colour first. Oh and then there is a lot of prejudice towards Muslims as well thanks to the media which doesn't help matters!
What are you beliefs about white people ?
What are your pre-conceived ideas of them ?

When did you last speak to a white person ? What did you feel ? inferior ? in shock ? scared ? not deserving of their attention ?

Why don't you deserve their attention ? why don't you feel good enough ?
What would make you feel good enough ?
Why can't you feel good enough now ?
You feel too ugly, too stupid, too poor, too badly dressed, ? These are common but false insecurities.
People with low self esteem develop insecurities.
Low self esteem comes from doing things and beliefs that cause you to dislike yourself.
(edited 9 years ago)
I'm a white guy with lots of friends from different ethnic backgrounds. All the people who are talking 'inferiority' have problems. Like I'm not the best at anything, I just don't care about speaking to anyone! Also, which uni out of interest?

-Leo
Original post by PurpleMonkeyDishwasher
Culture clash?

I know from living in China that a lot of girls there found it difficult to open up and be themselves whilst simultaneously adhering to societal expectations of how they should behave/think/present themselves, or face 'losing face'. Westerners are a lot more independent-minded and care less about what their peers thinks of them. Very few people here have a guard up when talking to friends. There were a lot of things that my friends in China only spoke to me/other westerners about and would never mention to their Chinese friends.

No westerns are not more independent-minded. Most Westerns usually Anglophones come from a more "open" culture. This means that they do not have as many societal norms and conduct based on gender, public behaviour and so on. So, therefore one can behave how they feel without being reprimanded.

It does not mean westerns are more independent-minded as that mindset or attitude is a social norm and group behaviour. I'm sure everyone has their mind. It's just many decide not to act our all their thoughts for the sake of the society they live in.

Plus, the OP is South Asian I believe.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 48
Original post by Ruffiio

Oh really?!?! :eek:
Reply 49
I sometimes struggle to talk to white people. And brown people. Pretty much everyone, really! :ahee:

Being shy and somewhat socially awkward, I have difficulty sustaining conversations with most "types" of people, but I haven't noticed any trends among races. For some of you, it could be that your upbringing has left you with internalised social norms that differ from those of white people, creating a barrier in the way you communicate both verbally and in terms of body language?
I'm Asian too! At first it's really hard to talk to white people. But later on you'll get used to it. :smile:
In general I actually get on better with Asian people than I do with other white people. I'm one of the only white people in my area so I'm just more comfortable around black and Asian people.
Reply 52
If you want to make conversation with white people just insult islam

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 53
Original post by InsertWittyName
In general I actually get on better with Asian people than I do with other white people. I'm one of the only white people in my area so I'm just more comfortable around black and Asian people.

My ass, only white person in your area b.s lol where do you live then.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ana81
My ass, only white person in your area b.s lol where do you live then.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Newham
Reply 55
Newham

Full of white people.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ana81
Full of white people.

Posted from TSR Mobile

East Ham? Nope. Forest gate? Also nope. Ain't no crackers near me.
Newham

What part of Newham do you live. I am Forest Gate born and raised.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by toonervoustotalk
What part of Newham do you live. I am Forest Gate born and raised.

Posted from TSR Mobile

East Ham
Guys and girls, don't be afraid to approach other race. If you can communicate, I see no reason why it is barrier. Go out in the library or a coffee shop, talk to people whether it's about the bad coffee or someone is noisy in the library. Just talk and be confidence.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending