The Student Room Group

RAF/Navy

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ProStacker
Old Simon is probably unaware that the 'Light Blue' on the RAF Fitness Test is harder to achieve than the '100 Club' of the Army Fitness Test. He seems to have it in for the RAF. Perhaps because they get paid the same and spend more time doing a job than digging in and stagging on.

Logistics is a lot of things in the RAF - anything from box-kicking to resource accounting to managing millions of pounds worth of equipment to tactical helicopter refuelling to software development. It is broad, varied and plenty of transferable skills for outside if you don't want a full career.

Hi ProStacker

Please excuse my ignorance but when does the 'light blue' term come into effect? I did some googling and quickly realised that there is dark blue for the best run time, certain amount of sit ups and certain amount of press ups. Light blue is the second best level, after dark blue, and then it goes down again to a green pass (I think?). Is this grading/scoring something that happens during PRTC or RTS?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by ChrisLincoln
PRTC is pass or fail. You reach the minimum green pass mark (9.10, 20, 35) and they stop the test.

During RTS you will do pass/fail and max effort tests. You don't get graded specifically at RTS but obviously you want to improve your scores.

Once you are out of training you will do your fitness test every 6 months if you are at Green level. If you reach light blue (11.07, 40, 41) you will do your fitness test every 12 months.

Hitting light blue is definitely a good goal to aim for and indicates motivation and a good level of fitness.

That clears that up then! Thanks. I achieved 50 press ups and stopped before the 1 minute mark and 47 sit ups for my PJFT. Would that be light blue level?

Is light blue the highest you can get or are there any others you can achieve above that?
Reply 22
Original post by Carl25
What do you mean by easy? I would actually prefer more of a challenge physically!

Then join the Army

Seriously. I'm reading this, and nowhere can I see any rationale for joining the Air Force. If you're wedded to that idea - fair enough; but all I'm seeing is "I want to be a storeman (!), I don't like ships, I want a physical challenge = RAF"
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by ChrisLincoln
http://www.raf.mod.uk/rafcms/mediafiles/D9E0A3C7_1143_EC82_2E3E762735D95037.doc

The last couple of pages on this document list the fitness standards.

That's brilliant.

Thanks Chris.
Original post by Clip
Seriously. I'm reading this, and nowhere can I see any rationale for joining the Air Force.

Because he said, and is quite right that:

Original post by Carl25
Switched preference from navy to the RAF as a lot of people say you get treat and looked after better in the RAF

Which I have to say from my Forces exposure is correct.

Same wages, broadly same job, but better conditions? No brainer.
Reply 25
Original post by Drewski

Well said
Reply 26
Original post by Drewski

Original post by Carl25
Well said

By that line of reasoning, you might as well stay in your current job.
Reply 27
Believe me, I wouldn't be!
Hi I'm new to this, I passed my interview yesterday for raf logistics supplier, got my medical and DBS to complete what can I expect??

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Mattymarn
Hi I'm new to this, I passed my interview yesterday for raf logistics supplier, got my medical and DBS to complete what can I expect??

Posted from TSR Mobile

Medical will either go one way or the other. If you've broken any bones recently or ever had asthma or anything like that on your medical records, then expect a delay while they get confirmation. On the other hand, if you've never had any medical problems, never been to hospital etc, you'll get through it no problem.
I broke my collar bone 13 years ago and my knuckle about 3, I've had a couple of ear infection but my hearing is fine hope their won't be much I a delay

Posted from TSR Mobile
I've just filled in my security check form and everything ok apart from the financial part, I took a loan out when In 2008 when I was 21, the problem is I've never paid this loan and it's still on my credit report, but I have never had a ccj or anything just a default, I'm planning to pay it back once I start in the raf, can anyone give us some advice or knowledge if this would stop my application?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I've just filled in my security check form and everything ok apart from the financial part, I took a loan out when In 2008 when I was 21, the problem is I've never paid this loan and it's still on my credit report, but I have never had a ccj or anything just a default, I'm planning to pay it back once I start in the raf, can anyone give us some advice or knowledge if this would stop my application?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Really is best to call your AFCO and have a chat with them about it. You'll get more reliable answers from the with stuff like that.
Original post by ryan9900
Really is best to call your AFCO and have a chat with them about it. You'll get more reliable answers from the with stuff like that.

Just spoke to the afco they said don't worry, as kong has I've not got a criminal record I should be fine 👍 just waiting to get the inevitable MTU from the medical

Posted from TSR Mobile
Just spoke to the afco they said don't worry, as kong has I've not got a criminal record I should be fine ������ just waiting to get the inevitable MTU from the medical

Posted from TSR Mobile

Don't worry too much about it mate. I was told less than 10% get through the medical with no problems first time, so just go with it and see what happens.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 35
Done the raf practice aptitude test and feel confident apart from spacial electrical and mechanical parts. Anywhere I can practice them and will they affect a logistics application? Also my bmi is around 18, will that be ok?
Reply 36
Bmi is meant to be between 17.5-26 for raf. Mines is 18 too! The doc who done my medical said I just passed haha. Try put on a couple pounds but dont worry because 18 is fine
Reply 37
Ok cheers, I'm about 5ft10 and 9 stone 1 pound but I have a half marathon in September so I'm worried doing 7/8 mile runs like I was earlier in year will take more weight off and obviously need to run to get fit for raf training too.
Reply 38
For the next few weeks or least to my medical just gonna take creatine, do weights and do shorter higher intensity runs
Reply 39
Yeah I was worrying about that too, because I am running constantly obviously I will lose weight that i dont need to lose haha. I would recommend getting yourself some Creatine, thats what I am on and you will gain weight! But it also helps during training etc by giving you more energy and power etc. Read about it here - http://www.menshealth.com/nutrition/creatine-side-effects-what-it-what-it-does ive got this stuff http://www.myprotein.com/sports-nutrition/creatine-monohydrate/10530050.html

Quick Reply

Latest