The Student Room Group

RAF/Navy

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
oh you bet me to it mate haha!
Original post by Clip
Then join the Army

Seriously. I'm reading this, and nowhere can I see any rationale for joining the Air Force. If you're wedded to that idea - fair enough; but all I'm seeing is "I want to be a storeman (!), I don't like ships, I want a physical challenge = RAF"

Army Storeman does not equal RAF Logistician. Most Army Stores are run under the QM system and that is not professional logistics. The RLC cover some of what the RAF Loggie covers, but the responsibilities and breadth of ability in the RAF far outstrip anything the Army can offer in logistics.
Original post by Carl25
Done the raf practice aptitude test and feel confident apart from spacial electrical and mechanical parts. Anywhere I can practice them and will they affect a logistics application? Also my bmi is around 18, will that be ok?

Yes, those sections will effect everyone. You can't afford to lose excessive marks in any of the sections really.

GCSE Bitesize covers pretty much everything for Electrical & Mechanical. On the website, you'll find electricity in the Physics section and mechanics will be in Design and Technology, in the Systems and Control section.

Quite hard to practice spatial reasoning to be honest. That's one of the tests which are really just trying to test your natural ability.
Reply 43
Cheers will have a practice of that today as they are the sections I'm most worried about
Reply 44
Just had a go of the mechanics one and never heard of half them terms! Hopefully do really well on the maths and other sections to make up for it or does It not work like that?
Original post by Carl25
Just had a go of the mechanics one and never heard of half them terms! Hopefully do really well on the maths and other sections to make up for it or does It not work like that?

You need to average out your scores as much as possible. It doesn't work exactly like that, no, so it's best to make sure you have a fairly good understanding of the basic terms.

Bitesize will teach you most of the words and principles on the 'revise' pages. I also had to brush up on my electrical and mechanical knowledge and that site worked the best for me.

Levers, gears, pulleys, load effort, and pressure came up on the test most in the mechanical section if memory serves me correctly. If you don't like the GCSE Bitesize site, you can just google some of those topics and there is plenty of information to be found!
Reply 46
Yeah will do cheers feel they the test Monday is the big one for me as would be quite confident in the rest of the process. Will spend most the day Sunday revising then
Original post by ProStacker
Army Storeman does not equal RAF Logistician. Most Army Stores are run under the QM system and that is not professional logistics. The RLC cover some of what the RAF Loggie covers, but the responsibilities and breadth of ability in the RAF far outstrip anything the Army can offer in logistics.

We are not disputing the range of responsibilities of the RAF logistics types. What we are doing is saying that if the OP wants a physical challenge as stated then RAF Logistics is the last place on earth he is likely to receive such a challenge.

Furthermore it is very unlikely that operating a few aircraft is a more complicated logistics operation than maintaining a land army so your comparisons with RLC are not accurate in any event.
Original post by Old_Simon
Furthermore it is very unlikely that operating a few aircraft is a more complicated logistics operation than maintaining a land army so your comparisons with RLC are not accurate in any event.

I'd be pretty certain that Pro has a very firm grasp of what is and isn't within the purview of an RAF Logistician, far more so than anyone else here. The clue's in his name.
Original post by Drewski
I'd be pretty certain that Pro has a very firm grasp of what is and isn't within the purview of an RAF Logistician, far more so than anyone else here. The clue's in his name.

Exactly. He is RAF. Hence he knows nothing about the Army RLC and certainly not enough to draw unfavourable comparisons with the RAF in a public forum.
Original post by Old_Simon
Exactly. He is RAF. Hence he knows nothing about the Army RLC and certainly not enough to draw unfavourable comparisons with the RAF in a public forum.

Because the British armed forces never work in a joint environment?
Original post by Drewski
Because the British armed forces never work in a joint environment?

Oh OK. Once we concede the principle that it is not necessary to have been in the Army to comment on Army affairs then presumably it is not necessary to have been in the RAF to comment on RAF affairs even if one has been in a joint service two star HQ (as I have). To suggest the RAF logistics service is going to offer a physical challenge (lol) or more variety than the RLC is simply wrong. I will agree with you in general in one respect. The RAF takes far better care of its airman in terms of careers, pay conditions and in other ways than the Army. It is an excellent career both commissioned and non commissioned. Just please do not over do it. :wink:
Your ignorance of logistics is a common thing so I don't blame you. Having spent most of my career as a Joint logistician working very closely with RAF, RN, RM and Army loggies I have a far broader view than most. My last 4 years were spent in Land Equipment where my reporting chain was Civil Servant, 1* Army, 2* Army. I have also served in the HQ of 85(EL) Wg, the RAF version of a Logs Bde working almost entirely in the Land environment.
Army logs is currently having a massive transformation and it will take years for it to settle. This is due to it's need to come into the 21st Century and update how it does business - more in line with the RN and the RAF. Many of the challenges are different, but the RAF will give far more responsibility at a more junior rank, give a loggie a far greater breadth of training and responsibility and allow a far wider career within a wider logistics field.
The RAF has upped it's fitness in a very big way - particularly in ACSSU's (Air Combat Service Support Units), so there is still a physical challenge. Many people also want a mental challenge which wider employment can offer.
I assume you don't know about the RAF loggies (Supply, Catering, Movements) who are embedded with other more specialized non-RAF units? They hold their own in all aspects. We'll not mention the parachute-qualified RAF loggies who are employed as tactical refuellers for the rotary fleets (and in a unit under Land HQ command) either.

Quick Reply

Latest