The Student Room Group
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge

St John's College (Cambridge) Students and Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Is the rent more or less the same price in the 2nd and 3rd years Stevo?
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge
Aired
Mine's a set

Which staircase are you on?

Erm, you're going to have to help me with this chuck. Where is this information?

Stevo: well, including the KFC charge, I will be paying just under £100 w/o books, food, Internet :frown:

£170 is crazy money.
Reply 62
Mine's on the letter that's three pages stapled together. There are subheadings like "date of arrival, "financial arrangements". It says underneath the accommodation subheading
Reply 63
Aired
Is the rent more or less the same price in the 2nd and 3rd years Stevo?

It depends on the room you choose in the ballot (which is random, not ordered by academic performance). Most second years choose to share, so naturally it works out cheaper. In the third year you basically have your pick of the rooms in college, so you can go cheap or expensive. I'll see if I can dig up the accommodation spreadsheet and post it here.
I've got a lot of stapled bits :confused:

What colour paper, what other stuff is on it? The only stuff I have from Johns specifically that is stapled seeems to be the accomodation invoice, but I can find no mention of the type of room I'm getting.
Reply 65
Errr it's just white paper with black font. It starts off with

"I am writing to you as your tutor about accommodation and what you will need to do during your first few days here"
Reply 66
Ditting Suck
Erm, you're going to have to help me with this chuck. Where is this information?

Stevo: well, including the KFC charge, I will be paying just under £100 w/o books, food, Internet :frown:

£170 is crazy money.

I know it seems expensive, but believe me, it could be a lot worse. For one thing, you should get half your money back for books, up to £150. That's better than you'll find at almost any other college (not sure what Trinity offer). You may even get a subject-specific book grant. And if you manage to get a First this year then you'll be rolling in the money next year. The meals are also pretty damn cheap compared to other colleges (and better as well), with formal hall being only £3.50 for members as well as guests. And they don't make you pay every time you use the washing machines and driers, which apparently I will have to do this year. :frown:
Reply 67
Aired
Mine's a set

Which staircase are you on?

They actually tell you that stuff in the welcome pack? They never used to.
Ah, lol, got it, it didn't tip out of the envelope with everything else! :smile:

It say's my accomodation (bedsit) will be 870.51 per term, so presumably the extra I'm paying at the start is just to cover them, and will cancel out some of my other costs (food, etc.)? I'm a little less scared now :smile:
Oh, and it's F5, Cripps
sTe\/o
I know it seems expensive, but believe me, it could be a lot worse. For one thing, you should get half your money back for books, up to £150. That's better than you'll find at almost any other college (not sure what Trinity offer). You may even get a subject-specific book grant. And if you manage to get a First this year then you'll be rolling in the money next year. The meals are also pretty damn cheap compared to other colleges (and better as well), with formal hall being only £3.50 for members as well as guests. And they don't make you pay every time you use the washing machines and driers, which apparently I will have to do this year. :frown:

Thanks for that. Feeling a little better now :smile:

It's 3.85 this term, by the way.
Reply 71
I'm E23
Reply 72
Ditting Suck
Thanks for that. Feeling a little better now :smile:

It's 3.85 this term, by the way.

Doh. I guess I shouldn't be surprised. It's still pretty good value, though.
Reply 73
Hmmm, I'm F15 Bed Sit it appears.
Are they numbered up from the bottom? So I would be a floor or two below KM?
Reply 75
If they are it sounds like I'm up on the roof or something, lol.
Heehee...find some friends on floor level who'll let you stay over :wink:
Reply 78
Wayhay, not too far away from Ditting Suck, immense 8)
Reply 79
Oh well, I suppose the view from the window will be better...

:rolleyes:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending