The Student Room Group
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge

St John's College (Cambridge) Students and Applicants

Scroll to see replies

KAISER_MOLE
Wayhay, not too far away from Ditting Suck, immense 8)

:blushing: Awwww, I'm charmed :smile:
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge
Reply 81
I see im not the only one to get a shed load of info today! It all seems good. See you guys at first hall on sunday. Anyone know the dress code?
Reply 82
bazzasballs
whoa...I love the way ticking the cheaper rooms box resulted in me getting a £1000 a term room...

Although not too worried as it says that lots of people can change rooms when they get there so it's all good.

I also ticked the cheaper rooms box. However, if everyone ticks the cheap rooms box, it doesnt take a genius to work out some people will end up with expensive rooms. Mine came out at £870. I think Cripps rooms vary from about £770-890.
Just to clarify, the pre-payment you have to do when you start is, I think about £1000 for anything. You get this back at the end of the degree. I don't think you're going to have £1000 per term rent if you asked for the cheapo stuff (at least, I think they would have asked if you minded paying more first).

I'm still not sure about my biology options (even less sure now I've had a read through). Do you thing it would be okay to email the Lamor Society guy (obviously, this is adressed to NatScis)

Reply 84
The Larmor Society is run by students. The best thing would be to contact your Director of Studies, if you know who that is. On the other hand, I notice on the Larmor website (http://www.larmorsociety.co.uk/) that there are students you can e-mail to ask questions about some of the individual NatSci courses:

"Cells is such an interesting subject, and caters for all tastes across biology, so if you have any questions, give me a buzz at [email protected]"

We may even be able to help you on TSR if you have some specific questions. :wink: (Well, not me; I'm a medic!)
Holy crap it says my rent is £1076 (WTF) although i stupidly opted for the set option (is that the one with the screen seperation?). Is it possible to switch? Also in the prepayment invoice it says £962 for the "prepayment standard room charge". Err?
Reply 86
bazzasballs
okay, this may seem really thick, but is the senior tutor your actual tutor. As all my letters have been from him and he says he's my tutor, but then the freshers guide says that he's in charge of all the admissions stuff? Sorry for the thickness.

He may be your actual tutor as well. If you're studying Maths then he'll be your Director of Studies.
Intelligentsia
Holy crap it says my rent is £1076 (WTF) although i stupidly opted for the set option (is that the one with the screen seperation?). Is it possible to switch? Also in the prepayment invoice it says £962 for the "prepayment standard room charge". Err?

Re. the second point - see my post above. The prepayment is one term's rent which the college takes as a deposit. You get it back at the end.

Also: holy ****, that is expensive rent.
Reply 88
You guys had better all accept your invitation to first hall and the matriculation hall on tuesday. No excuses now!
I will. I think I might go and fill in some of the pile of forms and reply slips I have now actually.
Ditting Suck
Re. the second point - see my post above. The prepayment is one term's rent which the college takes as a deposit. You get it back at the end.

Also: holy ****, that is expensive rent.

Wait, if its a deposit and you get it back at the end, when do you actually pay for the rent per se. Time to drop Johns a line me thinks.
Reply 91
As I understand it the freshers packs are sent out by the tutorial secretary. Therefore if there are any linguists or historians could you please indicate whether you have received your freshers packs yet as I don't have mine and that others had theirs a few days ago makes me nervous.
I think all the people who have them so far are science, so maybe they just got theirs organised first.

Funnily enough, I didn't get around to doing any of the forms, reading or quiz today. Oh well!
Okay guys, help me out. On the records form, under the school section, where it say 'class of each degree held' - what does this mean?
Reply 94
Ditting Suck
Okay guys, help me out. On the records form, under the school section, where it say 'class of each degree held' - what does this mean?

The answer they are looking for is First Class Honours, Upper Second Class, etc., i.e. the grade you got in your degree(s). But this doesn't apply to you if you've only just left school and are taking your first degree (which is the case, right?).
Yep. Cool, that's what I kind of thought. Thanks! :smile:
hey - i seem to hav come quite late to this thread :rolleyes: (im always late to everthing! hehe) - i've been away and arrived back to my pack of forms and leaflets - woohoo! anyway, my name's cassie and i'm gonna b doin archaeology and anthropology... can't wait!!! My rent seems to be kinda middle-ish compared to others - £930 for a set i think - B19... does anyone know whether its a nice bit of cripps?
hope everyone's enjoying their last month of freedom! xxxcxxx :biggrin:
Reply 97
Hi! I've come 2 this thread a bit late too lol! Anyways, I'm coming to John's to do Law, I'm in Cripps E18, got my freshers pack a few days ago, officially terrified now! What's anybody wearing to the matriculation dinner?????
mad_mc_52
Hi! I've come 2 this thread a bit late too lol! Anyways, I'm coming to John's to do Law, I'm in Cripps E18, got my freshers pack a few days ago, officially terrified now! What's anybody wearing to the matriculation dinner?????

Happy 1st post!

I went and bought a plain black suit from M&S yesterday (half price sale).

I'm in Cripps, F something, so quite close :wink:
Reply 99
I can't wear a suit, I'm a girl :eek: lmao! I might start a new thread about it, it's easier lol!

And BTW - did anybody else LOVE the descriptions of the other colleges in the pale blue handbook in the Freshers pack??????

Quick Reply

Latest