help please
Functions

h(x)=x2 - 2x

Show that

h(2x) = 4x(x-1)

h(2x) = (2x)^2 - 2(2x)
= 4x^2 - 4x
= 4x(x - 1)

Final step is simply factorising by a common factor of 4x.
Reply 63
How are multiple bracketed terms to the same power integrated?

e.g. "integrate (2x + 9)^5 with respect to x"
Original post by Ecasx

Have you covered the chain rule in differentiation yet?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ecasx

Here I think
Reply 66
Original post by Asklepios
Have you covered the chain rule in differentiation yet?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Just learned it there. Cba understanding the proof though.
Reply 67
In 22a), once we deduce that kcosa = 1 and ksina = 3sqroot, how can we find k?
Original post by Ecasx
In 22a), once we deduce that kcosa = 1 and ksina = 3sqroot, how can we find k?

ksina/kcosa = tana

Use that to find a, then find k.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 69
ksina/kcosa = tana

Use that to find a, then find k.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I tried that: ktana = 3sqroot.
tan60 = 3sqroot
But aren't we wrongly assuming k to be 1 here?
you missed the fact that the k`s cancel

this might help (very similar question):
Original post by Ecasx
I tried that: ktana = 3sqroot.
tan60 = 3sqroot
But aren't we wrongly assuming k to be 1 here?

We're not assuming k=1. It's k/k = 1.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Can anyone help me with these questions please?

g(x) = x3 3x + 5.
What is the remainder when g(x) is divided by (x + 2)?
I know how to do this one, but I cannot get the remainder to work out right. It should be 3.

Find the range of values of k such that the equation kx2 x 1 = 0 has no real roots.

What is the value of cos 5pi/3 - tan 7pi/4? (non calculator)

Any help would be much appreciated, thanks in advance!
Reply 73
Original post by stephaniebtw
Can anyone help me with these questions please?

g(x) = x3 3x + 5.
What is the remainder when g(x) is divided by (x + 2)?
I know how to do this one, but I cannot get the remainder to work out right. It should be 3.

Find the range of values of k such that the equation kx2 x 1 = 0 has no real roots.

What is the value of cos 5pi/3 - tan 7pi/4? (non calculator)

Any help would be much appreciated, thanks in advance!

1. You're probably not including 0 as the coefficient of x^2 (simple mistake).

2. Use the discriminant (where a = k). Where the discriminant < 0, there will be no real roots. You should be able to solve the range of k from there.

3. I'd convert everything into degrees first.
So cos300 - tan315.

If you think about it logically, cos of anything between 270-360 will be positive (ASTC quadrants), and tan of anything between 270-360 will be negative. Since values in this quadrant are given by 360-x,

cos300 - tan315
= cos(360-60) - tan(360-45)
= cos60 - (-tan45)
= 1/2 + 1
= 3/2
(edited 9 years ago)
Can anyone help with these questions? So stuck ahaha ImageUploadedByStudent Room1410721966.582033.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 75
Original post by frivolousme
Can anyone help with these questions? So stuck ahaha ImageUploadedByStudent Room1410721966.582033.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile

1. Take the transformation a step at a time. In y = -f(x+1) + 4, what we've done is:
- flipped across the x-axis, meaning every y-coord is multiplied by -1
- THEN moved 1 unit to the left, meaning every x-coord subtracts 1
- THEN moved the whole graph up by 4 units, meaning every y-coord adds 4

I like to think of it this way: if you do something OUTSIDE the bracket, you're affecting the y-coords in some way - if you do something INSIDE the bracket, you're affecting the x-coords.

2. Log functions are the inverse of exponential functions. You should already be aware that, with exp. functions/graphs such as y = a^x, when x = 0, y will equal 1, and when x = 1, y will equal a.

Inverse graphs have the straight line y = x as their axis of symmetry. So, essentially to get the inverse of a graph, you will be flipping the x and y coords of every point. With log graphs, the previous noteworthy points in the exp. graphs become such that (0, 1) ---> (1, 0), and (1, a) ---> (a, 1). This means, in the form loga-x, when x = 1, loga-x = 0, and when x = a, loga-x = 1.

This means you can immediately identify a in your question. For b, notice that log graphs will cut the x-axis at x = 1 when there is no b variable - from this information you can identify b.

For the second part of the question: you need to know that in any log function, the variable you're applying the "log to the base of" must be greater than 0. Look at your graph. Simply put, as the y-coord decreases, x will continue to get nearer and nearer the y-axis, but it will never touch it - so x > 0 (this is the exact opposite of an exponential graph where y > 0). In your question, solve the inequality x - b > 0.

3. A case of taking care when multiplying out brackets and collecting like terms. Take your time, and the "relationship" part most likely refers to the fact that the functions are the inverse of each other, in which case they return x as the output.
Reply 76
We're not assuming k=1. It's k/k = 1.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Just realised that this is covered by HSN in unit 3. Thanks anyway - thought I was missing something.
Thanks for that.

Still confused about the first one though. Could the 4-f(x+1) not be stretched? Also, does it matter the order in which you complete the transformations? Because if I do -flip, move left, add four, and get a different answer to doing -add four, flip, move left. Which was round do I do it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ecasx
1. Take the transformation a step at a time. In y = -f(x+1) + 4, what we've done is:
- flipped across the x-axis, meaning every y-coord is multiplied by -1
- THEN moved 1 unit to the left, meaning every x-coord subtracts 1
- THEN moved the whole graph up by 4 units, meaning every y-coord adds 4

I like to think of it this way: if you do something OUTSIDE the bracket, you're affecting the y-coords in some way - if you do something INSIDE the bracket, you're affecting the x-coords.

2. Log functions are the inverse of exponential functions. You should already be aware that, with exp. functions/graphs such as y = a^x, when x = 0, y will equal 1, and when x = 1, y will equal a.

Inverse graphs have the straight line y = x as their axis of symmetry. So, essentially to get the inverse of a graph, you will be flipping the x and y coords of every point. With log graphs, the previous noteworthy points in the exp. graphs become such that (0, 1) ---> (1, 0), and (1, a) ---> (a, 1). This means, in the form loga-x, when x = 1, loga-x = 0, and when x = a, loga-x = 1.

This means you can immediately identify a in your question. For b, notice that log graphs will cut the x-axis at x = 1 when there is no b variable - from this information you can identify b.

For the second part of the question: you need to know that in any log function, the variable you're applying the "log to the base of" must be greater than 0. Look at your graph. Simply put, as the y-coord decreases, x will continue to get nearer and nearer the y-axis, but it will never touch it - so x > 0 (this is the exact opposite of an exponential graph where y > 0). In your question, solve the inequality x - b > 0.

3. A case of taking care when multiplying out brackets and collecting like terms. Take your time, and the "relationship" part most likely refers to the fact that the functions are the inverse of each other, in which case they return x as the output.

Would the answer to 2b be x > -1 ? Not sure I've done it correctly...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 79
Thanks for that.

Still confused about the first one though. Could the 4-f(x+1) not be stretched? Also, does it matter the order in which you complete the transformations? Because if I do -flip, move left, add four, and get a different answer to doing -add four, flip, move left. Which was round do I do it?

Posted from TSR Mobile

It could only be stretched if there was a number in front of the x alone, and generally this is a very difficult transformation to draw so it's left out. Good point! Definitely DO NOT add four first or your answer will be ****ed up. There's actually no designated 'order', but it should be very logical. 'Flips' should be done before you add a constant (in this case 4) to the function, or else you'd be jeapordising the whole transformation - think of the numbers that are added or subtracted as 'adjustments' to the function, whereas the multiples define the function itself (might be a good analogy).

Would the answer to 2b be x > -1 ? Not sure I've done it correctly...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Edit: b = -1, not 1

So x - 1 > 0
x > 1
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending