The Student Room Group

Higher Maths 2014-2015 :: Discussion Thread

May as well start early for the few of us still hanging around after nat 5s...

Is your school doing the old or new higher? Mine is doing new, so I am naturally looking forward to another year of rushed assessments and outcomes and uncertainty. I had a look at the unit specifications on the SQA website, and it looks really interesting. Can't wait to be starting as pathetic as that may sound.

http://www.sqa.org.uk/files_ccc/CfE_Unit_H_Mathematics_Applications.pdf

http://www.sqa.org.uk/files_ccc/CfE_Unit_H_Mathematics_RelationshipsandCalculus.pdf

http://www.sqa.org.uk/files_ccc/CfE_Unit_H_Mathematics_ExpressionsandFunctions.pdf

^ links

Starting first thing tomorrow at half past eight, woo! What days do y'all start s5?

(Oh, and if there are any links you'd like to be added to this top post, I'll endeavour to do so).

Scroll to see replies

Original post by _Miriam_
May as well start early for the few of us still hanging around after nat 5s...

Is your school doing the old or new higher? Mine is doing new, so I am naturally looking forward to another year of rushed assessments and outcomes and uncertainty. I had a look at the unit specifications on the SQA website, and it looks really interesting. Can't wait to be starting as pathetic as that may sound.

http://www.sqa.org.uk/files_ccc/CfE_Unit_H_Mathematics_Applications.pdf

http://www.sqa.org.uk/files_ccc/CfE_Unit_H_Mathematics_RelationshipsandCalculus.pdf

http://www.sqa.org.uk/files_ccc/CfE_Unit_H_Mathematics_ExpressionsandFunctions.pdf

^ links

Starting first thing tomorrow at half past eight, woo! What days do y'all start s5?

(Oh, and if there are any links you'd like to be added to this top post, I'll endeavour to do so).

Higher Maths :woo::woo: It does look really interesting.

I can't wait to start either and we're doing the new highers as well - oh the joys :rolleyes: Really want to get an early start on the science assignments cause rushing to get them all finished in one week will not be fun at all.

Have fun tomorrow haha! We don't start until Monday next week, was meant to be doing work experience this week but couldn't find anything science-related and the other back-up I had has had some sort of crisis :confused: Not that I'm complaining, a week of Breaking Bad and Portal 2 sounds good.
Sub

Edit: Course looks really similar to the old Higher. By really similar I mean I don't see anything new, and I don't think anything has been taken out as far as I can see..
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by TheFOMaster
Sub

Edit: Course looks really similar to the old Higher. By really similar I mean I don't see anything new, and I don't think anything has been taken out as far as I can see..

I think I remember our teacher last year, going on about the fact that they have taken out multiple choice from the new higher. Not 100% sure though.
Original post by Mathematic Mafia
I think I remember our teacher last year, going on about the fact that they have taken out multiple choice from the new higher. Not 100% sure though.

I've heard this too ^
I think the course is similar, but the structure of the exam is different.
Original post by Mathematic Mafia

Oh right. Thats good, multiple choice is ****.
Reply 6
I'm doing the revised higher instead of the new CfE higher because my teachers wanted to give us a break from the chaos of last year with all the random assessments. We've been doing recurrence series and the distance formula. So far it's not bad but I'm expecting it to get a lot harder as new ideas are introduced.
Reply 7
Is it just me that thinks unit 1 will be really short? Our class has already finished Straight Line and Recurrence Relations. We'll be moving on to differentiation next.
Original post by Dralcon
Is it just me that thinks unit 1 will be really short? Our class has already finished Straight Line and Recurrence Relations. We'll be moving on to differentiation next.

Differentiation is the longest part, IIRC. They're the shortest sections.
Original post by TheFOMaster
Oh right. Thats good, multiple choice is ****.

I think we should call it CfE Higher Maths (as compared to older NQ Higher Maths).
(Notice my colours- hm viz the BrightRed books covers)
The newer exam has killed objective questions.:eek:
Same formulae sheet as before.
There are also two variants of the newer curriculum, Vers1(2012) and Vers2(2014)- not much difference just moving the outcomes around the different units. Your center should be using the newer spec. but are allowed to use the older one- you should ask your course teacher which spec you are actually doing!
Beware there will be open-ended questions like "explain how logs can be used to model bacterial growth!", "..an air-traffic control center uses vectors to locate aeroplanes in flight- how could you use vectors to work out the distance between aircraft ..", ".. show how to work out the maximum volume of a cubic open-topped box from a sheet of carboard 1 sq.m.." and so on.
I have attached a pdf showing the newest spec. for CfE Higher Maths..
I'm doing the old higher, got given functions homework from this really old Heinemann book. Don't understand it at all !

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by JPiddy
I'm doing the old higher, got given functions homework from this really old Heinemann book. Don't understand it at all !

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you posted the questions you're stuck at then some people could try and help you?
I sat higher last year so if anyone needs help with any of the course then just quote me/message me and I'll try my best!
Original post by greenladybird
If you posted the questions you're stuck at then some people could try and help you?
I sat higher last year so if anyone needs help with any of the course then just quote me/message me and I'll try my best!

Hey, thanks. I will post the picture.

Posted from TSR Mobile
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1408214932.829956.jpg It's questions 5,6 and 7
I've tried them but don't get them. I've read the answers but I don't understand how to get the answers please help me :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by JPiddy
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1408214932.829956.jpg It's questions 5,6 and 7
I've tried them but don't get them. I've read the answers but I don't understand how to get the answers please help me :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

What textbook is it from?
For Qu 5 I don't think you need to worry about it, I've never seen a question worded like that at all. You could check with your teacher just to make sure but as far as I'm aware you don't need to answer questions like that.

6. You're told that f(x) = 0, so f(x) = x2 - 2x - 3 = 0. From there you should be able to solve it :smile:

7. For displacement, physically it isn't possible to be less than 0. So s(t) must be equal than or greater than 0. From there, 16t + 1/2t2 must be equal to or greater than 0.

From there, it should be easy enough to solve. It takes time to get used to how to do the questions so if you want more help then let me know!
What textbook is it from?
For Qu 5 I don't think you need to worry about it, I've never seen a question worded like that at all. You could check with your teacher just to make sure but as far as I'm aware you don't need to answer questions like that.

6. You're told that f(x) = 0, so f(x) = x2 - 2x - 3 = 0. From there you should be able to solve it :smile:

7. For displacement, physically it isn't possible to be less than 0. So s(t) must be equal than or greater than 0. From there, 16t + 1/2t2 must be equal to or greater than 0.

From there, it should be easy enough to solve. It takes time to get used to how to do the questions so if you want more help then let me know!

Hi, thanks for the reply.
It's from a higher Heinemann book (1998)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ohhh Higher Maths :yawn:

I hardly even used the textbook, partly due to laziness and partly because its more or less the same stuff in the exam every year - you can predict quite alot of the questions in the exam. Whenever I did use the textbook its questions were much harder than the level required and the wording was much more complicated than pastpapers.

I only used this site along side the pastpapers for the last 10 years and got 99% in the exam :smartass:.

Feel free to quote me and Ill try my best to help :tongue:
Original post by JPiddy
Hi, thanks for the reply.
It's from a higher Heinemann book (1998)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, you'll find with some of the older books they have a slightly different syllabus. You can still use these books, just be aware that some of the more 'confusing' questions aren't actually going to be asked in the exam. :smile:
Yeah, you'll find with some of the older books they have a slightly different syllabus. You can still use these books, just be aware that some of the more 'confusing' questions aren't actually going to be asked in the exam. :smile:

Thanks for the re-assurance !

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Pennyarcade
Ohhh Higher Maths :yawn:

I hardly even used the textbook, partly due to laziness and partly because its more or less the same stuff in the exam every year - you can predict quite alot of the questions in the exam. Whenever I did use the textbook its questions were much harder than the level required and the wording was much more complicated than pastpapers.

I only used this site along side the pastpapers for the last 10 years and got 99% in the exam :smartass:.

Feel free to quote me and Ill try my best to help :tongue:

Haha, so is the final exam, not as hard as the class work then ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending