The Student Room Group

Anyone else doing WJEC English Literature LT4 this Friday 6 June 2014?

What books are you doing? You prepped? :smile:

Scroll to see replies

I'm doing Blake for poetry and King Lear/Oedipus Rex for the drama section. I have been preparing a lot but that doesn't make me any less terrified, haha. I'm just going over old exam questions and planning answers for them but I supposed I should really give myself a proper mock :/
Reply 2
I'm doing Hamlet/The Revenger's Tragedy as my plays and Chaucer's The Wife of Bath for the poetry; I've just been grouping up quotes by themes and stuff and have started planning essays as well, but yeah I'm really terrified that I'm just going to screw up somehow.
I'm doing Blake and Hamlet/TRT. What does everyone think will come up for poetry?
Reply 4
I'm doing Lear/Oedipus, and Blake for poetry:smile: I had hoped it would be something like symbolism for the poetry but that question came up a few years ago so no hope there:/ I've revised a lot for it - more than my other subjects - and I still don't feel ready! Don't suppose I ever will so I guess it's just best to get it over with haha
Reply 5
Original post by caryswww
I'm doing Lear/Oedipus, and Blake for poetry:smile: I had hoped it would be something like symbolism for the poetry but that question came up a few years ago so no hope there:/ I've revised a lot for it - more than my other subjects - and I still don't feel ready! Don't suppose I ever will so I guess it's just best to get it over with haha

I was cramming for my History so I haven't had as much time to focus on English as I would have liked. Luckily however, I spent a lot of time over the Easter Holidays writing out all the quotes I would need, which takes most of the pressure off ^^
I'm doing the Wife of Bath with an unseen poem, then I have to compare The Tempest and Dr. Faustus.

I really enjoy the latter, but WoB is driving me crazy! I'm most worried about that question :frown: Anyone else in the same position? Can anyone throw any tips out there?
I am doing King Lear and then the Wife of Bath, quite scared for the unseen poem as i fear i won't have enough time to figure it out in the exam. any ideas on what King Lear questions might come up? I don't think the theme of 'Nothing' has before so that could be a possibility. As for the Wife of Bath I am struggling to memorize the quotes in their middle-english form, anyone have any tips?
Reply 8
Original post by placeinthisworld
I am doing King Lear and then the Wife of Bath, quite scared for the unseen poem as i fear i won't have enough time to figure it out in the exam. any ideas on what King Lear questions might come up? I don't think the theme of 'Nothing' has before so that could be a possibility. As for the Wife of Bath I am struggling to memorize the quotes in their middle-english form, anyone have any tips?

I don't know I just try and learn them by writing them out until I remember. Just try and learn the most straight forward ones, like the beginning "experience though noon auctoritee, were in this world, is right ynogh for me, to speke of the wo that is in mariage"

But the wife's story itself is pretty funny to be honest, though I dread to think about what I have to compare it with.
Original post by placeinthisworld

They are hard to memorise in their original form :frown: Ones I have:

"God bad us to wex and multiplie" - "God told us to go forth an multiply"

"Gentilesse cometh from God alone" - "Gentle-manhood comes from God", (Not heritage, as suggested by the knight)

"Who painted the leon?" (Lion)

Best bet to learn these, (worked for me), is to learn them in modern English and once you can recite them, manipulate them slightly into their original form. Hope this helps! It's difficult :frown:
Yes I think thats my best bet. Thanks!
Me! I'm doing King Lear/Oedipus and Milton's Paradise Lost (book 9). I feel like I l need to learn more quotes :frown:
I'm doing Blake for poetry. Measure for Measure and The Duchess of Malfi for the plays!
Haven't had time to properly revise this because history! Does anyone know the themes that could come up for these plays?

So far I've gotten
-Sex
-Misogyny
-Religion
-Corruption/Power
Also, how is everyone revising? Thematically?
Faustus and The Tempest. Pretty much prepped AO1/AO2/AO3ii/AO4 for The Tempest - just going over Faustus quotes today. I feel quite confident for the Blake section, I have 15 poems memorised with AO1/AO2/AO3ii/AO4 points for all of them, some poems are stronger than others in terms of the quality of response, so hopefully they'll come first to mind in the exam.

Really, really need an A* to get into my firm. :frown: 100% in coursework, but I know that I could slip up in the exam and mess it all up. Ugh, back to revision.
I'm doing lear/Oedipus and Blake. Hope the lear question is about justice
Same here I would love a question on justice.
Reply 16
Is anyone else doing John Donne poetry? Also, how is everyone preparing for the unseen poems? And I'm doing hamlet/RT too, any potential questions you've thought of?
I've got the same plays as you. M4M is possibly the dullest thing Shakespeare ever wrote.

I'm revising by character. Working backwards from them to how they represent themes because I find it easier than working forwards.You probably want to look at justice as a theme as well. There's some good stuff you can draw from The Sermon on the Mount for that, though I guess you could throw it under power if you liked?
Reply 18
im doing blake poetry and for drama hamlet and the revenger's tragedy? i dont think its on appearance and reality as that came up last year but it might be reworded this year, im going to revise corruption, decay, mortality and women (and maybe crime and punishment), what does everyone else think will come up???? and fyi poetry questions make me want to die i had a look at the past papers and theres only two that i would actually feel confortable doing!! feel really anxious about blake
Original post by StanleyArms
I've got the same plays as you. M4M is possibly the dullest thing Shakespeare ever wrote.

I'm revising by character. Working backwards from them to how they represent themes because I find it easier than working forwards.You probably want to look at justice as a theme as well. There's some good stuff you can draw from The Sermon on the Mount for that, though I guess you could throw it under power if you liked?

You're right! And thank you, haven't even looked at context yet. At this rate, I may just have to throw it under power. How many quotes have you revised?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending