The Student Room Group

I think I got Social Anxiety help!

I think I got Social Anxiety, when I'm around people I struggle to make conversation, my voice heightens and I feel really anxious. I feel like wherever I go I make things awkward! What can I do too help me?, I try to make conversations by asking questions but I don't speak clear, and because I'm anxious a conversation is hard to make PLEASE HELP.
Reply 1
If you're concerned you have SA, go to the GP. They can prescribe you pills that can reduce the effects of the anxiety and may refer you on to a therapist to help you learn to cope with it. Good luck, I know how ****ty it can be!
Original post by Anonymous
I think I got Social Anxiety, when I'm around people I struggle to make conversation, my voice heightens and I feel really anxious. I feel like wherever I go I make things awkward! What can I do too help me?, I try to make conversations by asking questions but I don't speak clear, and because I'm anxious a conversation is hard to make PLEASE HELP.

it comes from low self esteem, and feelings of shame, feelings of being inferior.

what are you ashamed of ? why ?
what can boost your self esteem ? what lowers it ?
what causes you shame ? what reduces it ?

feelings of inferiority come from comparing yourself to others. what are you comparing. where is this need to compare yourself coming from, a deep feeling of shame perhaps ? or not at all ?

Excessive fear of being teased or criticized
Excessive fear that other people may notice that the sufferer looks anxious
Excessive worry about being anxious, which makes the anxiety worse
Excessive worry about embarrassment and humiliation

where do these feelings come from ? who knows ? do they even matter ?
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by democracyforum
it comes from low self esteem, and feelings of shame, feelings of being inferior.

what are you ashamed of ? why ?
what can boost your self esteem ? what lowers it ?
what causes you shame ? what reduces it ?

feelings of inferiority come from comparing yourself to others. what are you comparing. where is this need to compare yourself coming from, a deep feeling of shame perhaps ? or not at all ?

Excessive fear of being teased or criticized
Excessive fear that other people may notice that the sufferer looks anxious
Excessive worry about being anxious, which makes the anxiety worse
Excessive worry about embarrassment and humiliation

where do these feelings come from ? who knows ? do they even matter ?

I don't know? I sound feeble and can't help but feel shy, honestly it may have arisen from my speech or it could be because I want to speak better but that doesn't fortify a reason for shyness.
Sometimes I do think that I limit my speech vocabulary so I do not come.across as superior or 'mr intelligent ' or arrogant and this may have had a big affect on me.personally
I really don't know! And as for seeing a go or counsellor I don't.want to as I don't want no one to know, friends or relatives I just want to be my old self
Reply 4
Dear Anonymous

Social Anxiety is a debilitating condition but it is not without a cure. However, I am not sure that is what you have. You sound like you are in this viscous cycle of being shy, wanting to speak up but not being able to, holding back, and becoming more shy as people don't understand you, which results in frustration. Might sound silly, but have you tried speaking in front of a mirror, or into your webcam? It helps to see yourself and what you look like during a conversation, and it might help you find ways to sound more confident. Also, you can try recording yourself as you speak and listening/watching again once you finished, so that you can hear/see how you might be coming across, and help find you ways to improve.

If self-help doesn't seem to help you improve, I would suggest talking to your GP. They hear about cases like yours all the time, and they will listen non-judgementally. They can also give you tips to get more confident and improve your conversation skills and how to work on your self esteem. Someone mentioned that there are pills for SA - yes, but that's the extreme solution, and under NHS guidelines, GPs should work within a stepped care approach which always starts with self-help, even if guided by the GP or nurse. If your condition doesn't improve, you may be offered some form of therapy (CBT is the most recommended for anxiety and depression, or you might be given the contact details of a language therapist?). Medication should never be considered as a first option.

I suggest you try some self reflection (where is my anxiety originating form, what can I do to make the situation seem less frightening) and perhaps visit your GP if you feel that you can't do it on your own. Your GP will not tell your parents/friends/anyone, but they can help you.

Good luck.

Quick Reply

Latest